Off to the vet -- swollen neck, vommitting, possible blockage [emoji22]

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Following up on Mr. Ruckus this morning, how is the baby doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
This hairy thing that came out can be trichobezoar, or a hair stone.
My first thought when I saw it was a "hair ball". It really does look like one wrapped around a chunk of hardwood mulch. I hope his X-Ray report is a good one. Get well soon, Ruckus!

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Thank you thank you everyone for the prayers and tips! Ruckus slept a lot when we got home yesterday and through the night. He would wake up from time to time to come get a snuggle or readjust but he didn't throw up last night and I did feed him a little bit, a few handfuls here and there because he seemed hungry. I am concerned that he didn't poop yesterday after maybe 12pm and that was just the tiniest drop, we'll see how the morning walk goes. I have not taken him yet because I can't bear to break up the snuggle session we've got going on, he's resting his chin on my leg and getting some ear scratches.

0c21ba3284ec01376385e3d09fb93b08.jpg

[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Thank you for sharing, I'm worried the same might happen where they think everything is out but the X-ray missed something. I'm still waiting for the radiologist report and I'm getting impatient. He's just not himself and I'm not stopping until I get to the bottom of this. I know you didn't say it to scare me and I appreciate the reminder that we know our babies best and if we have a gut instinct that they still aren't ok, they're probably not ok.

I should get going and head to work -- I'm glad I have a job where I can come in late in situations like this, but I'm clearly pushing it. I'm going to call the vet on my walk and see if the radiologist report is back -- she said they were taking longer than normal and it was due back by 8am. Soooo. I'll keep you guys updated.

Here's a picture of the patient on the ride home yesterday to counterbalance the vomit pictures I posted yesterday.

a7f5ed008b52779d21dab8c5fbfe39d1.jpg

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ugh, I am so sorry, I am just seeing this now! I am up to my ears in puppy land!! I am praying sweet Ruckus is on the mend. I have heard of those crazy hair balls collecting in the stomach and they are just as bad as a blockage. Hopefully that is all that was in there. I will be looking back in a bit for an update. Give the baby kisses, and to nurse Regina as well!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
So glad to see he's snuggling and resting. We're thinking of him (well, Castor is snoring right now but I'll give him a report when he wakes up). Take care, Ruckus!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh... well I'm glad to hear that he slept well during the night. Keep us posted and hopefully that damn radiologist will get in touch w/you!!! :stinkeye:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you thank you everyone for the prayers and tips! Ruckus slept a lot when we got home yesterday and through the night. He would wake up from time to time to come get a snuggle or readjust but he didn't throw up last night and I did feed him a little bit, a few handfuls here and there because he seemed hungry. I am concerned that he didn't poop yesterday after maybe 12pm and that was just the tiniest drop, we'll see how the morning walk goes. I have not taken him yet because I can't bear to break up the snuggle session we've got going on, he's resting his chin on my leg and getting some ear scratches.

0c21ba3284ec01376385e3d09fb93b08.jpg

@TyTysmom Thank you for sharing, I'm worried the same might happen where they think everything is out but the X-ray missed something. I'm still waiting for the radiologist report and I'm getting impatient. He's just not himself and I'm not stopping until I get to the bottom of this. I know you didn't say it to scare me and I appreciate the reminder that we know our babies best and if we have a gut instinct that they still aren't ok, they're probably not ok.

I should get going and head to work -- I'm glad I have a job where I can come in late in situations like this, but I'm clearly pushing it. I'm going to call the vet on my walk and see if the radiologist report is back -- she said they were taking longer than normal and it was due back by 8am. Soooo. I'll keep you guys updated.

Here's a picture of the patient on the ride home yesterday to counterbalance the vomit pictures I posted yesterday.

a7f5ed008b52779d21dab8c5fbfe39d1.jpg

checking in to see if there is any news :pray:

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I'm just catching up here since my return. My goodness!!! I've read all of your entries here, I sure hope you post some really good news soon. I am praying for your sweet baby!!!! Come On Ruckus!!!!!!

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ok update! Sorry it's so late, I've had quite the day -- check on Ruckus, call vet, email vet, email vet again, maybe do some actual work at work, check on Ruckus, and so on!

The good news: Ruckus's vet said the radiologist reported back that they didn't see any blockage and that there was no sign of tears or major trauma from swallowing/keeping that thing in his stomach and then throwing up the whole mess! Ruckus also started to want to play with Regina some today, which yesterday he was having none of -- so some energy is returning, but he's still not looking totally like Ruckus. Oh, and he pooped [emoji13][emoji106][emoji90][emoji90][emoji90][emoji90]!!! Poor Keith, I instructed him to take a picture and check it for anything large Ruckus might have passed -- he said people were looking at him funny.

The not so great news: his neck is still swollen, though it hasn't gotten worse, and the hotspots have gotten slightly bigger overnight. He isn't eating the full amount of food like normal, but he will take treats and is drinking lots of water.

I'm hoping he starts to perk up more tomorrow, if not we're going back for more tests and probably that barium X-ray. I'm lucky my vet is so responsive and willing to email me when she isn't even in the office.
[MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] you taught me a new word! I've been googling trichobezoar in dogs all day...

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
I'm so glad Ruckus is improving!! You must be exhausted. Thank you so much for the update... I'm praying that the little guy continues to get better and looking forward to more good news! Hugs all around! Susan and Jersey

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
This all sounds like improvement even if it's slow those hotspots could be causing him a little discomfort which is why he's not fully back to himself yet. The [emoji90][emoji90][emoji90][emoji90] is a great sign and I assume no more vomiting!

What did the vet give you for his hotspots just an anabiotic by mouth? Did she give you any topical cream?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Awesome news on the poo! As Jessica said... hotspots could have him uncomfortable

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
OMG!! Jackie, so glad to hear Ruckus is on the mend. Keeping you in our thoughts. Looking forward to more updates

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
So good to see that precious mister Ruckus is doing better! He is adorable! Get well Asap, Mr. Ruckus and make some more fresh, warm, steamy piles for Mom and Dad, so they have to dig in them!:yes:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Checking in on y'all...so thankful for a good update (hope all are resting).

Hopefully, it is having that mess in his tummy then vomiting it up and
then the hotspots, all could be why he's not quite himself :(

Praying Ruckus continues improving by leaps & bounds, he's so handsome too!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.