Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor Rukus! I think if he isn't showing signs of improvement in the next couple of days I would ask about the barium X-ray. That can show material that is not dense in nature like cloth, socks, ect. Even a stick won't show up in an X-ray unless it's a very solid/dense stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok soooo they did an X-ray -- the vet said there was something that she couldn't be positive about and needed to send it to a radiologist - so we're waiting to hear back on that and the vet said we'll know today. She said that she can't tell if his cecum (connecting intestine to colon) is in a strange place or if he has inflammation and a blockage in the intestine. I'm counting the seconds until they call with results. Based on what they say, Ruckus might need IV fluids. Vet said of its a blockage it's too far back for Ruckus to throw it up, so needs to be flushed out in other ways. We got an antibiotic for his skin and if that doesn't help the swelling they'll try a steroid. I'm researching all of this and freaking out about the X-ray results but trying to stay positive especially since he's not acting like he's in pain... For some reason he smelled AWFUL when he got back from X-rays....uhhhhh so he got a bath....he was not pleased.

What an ordeal.... how is he doing now? has the vet mentioned doing the barium x-ray as Tracey mentions? That picture you posted does look like mulch or wood and dried grass pieces.

Sending lots of love and prayers to you all.... hugs to Ruckus

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Such a long day and we're all so exhausted. NOW he has HIVES. I don't know if the reaction is to the antibiotic or the anti-nausea injection. I talked to the vet and we have him on Benadryl -- if the hives get worse she called in prednisone to the pharmacy near my house.
Hopefully the vet hears back from the radiologist soon. She's a bit perplexed by all of the symptoms Ruckus is having , but thinks that his system was fighting so hard to get that stick/hair wad thrown up that his immune system's guard was down and that's causing the skin issue and neck swelling.

I feel like I can't win today -- vomiting, skin issues, hives, like ughhhhhhhhh.

I will definitely ask about the barium X-ray if this one is inconclusive or he isn't getting better. All I want to do is call in sick to work tomorrow and baby my poor sick Ruckus, but I think Keith and I will each take a half day shift. Regina is on 24 hour duty, of course.

I'm uneasy about the diagnosis that the neck swelling is caused by the skin issues, but we'll see how it goes.

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Oh so he's at home w/you now? Well hang tight, sounds like your vet is making sure of what she is seeing on the x-ray and not rushing into anything. I will tag some members that are familiar w/the barium x-ray's, sometimes they give a clearer picture of a lower intestinal blockage. Hang in there, we are still praying!!! :pray:

Yes home with me! Snoring and getting some much needed rest. I might have to nap while he naps. He's being quite the little trooper, and he was so cooperative at the vet. Love my sick boy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes home with me! Snoring and getting some much needed rest. I might have to nap while he naps. He's being quite the little trooper, and he was so cooperative at the vet. Love my sick boy.

We're all praying for him.... keep us posted

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
OMG!! so sorry to hear about Ruckus!! Praying he recovers quickly. :pray:

Most definitely request the Barium Xrays if you have the chance. Ellie had them done back in May, and they were super helpful for her situation.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
This hairy thing that came out can be trichobezoar, or a hair stone. With time, dog licks and swallows his own hair and they are a bit softened with gastric juice and stick together. People with mental health issues can have this too. These bezoars can stay long in stomach and grow to enormous size. Surgery sometimes needed. Dogs and people have no mechanism like cats - cats regularly vomit out hair balls. So it's Good he could vomit it out. Hope your baby will feel better soon.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Such a long day and we're all so exhausted. NOW he has HIVES. I don't know if the reaction is to the antibiotic or the anti-nausea injection. I talked to the vet and we have him on Benadryl -- if the hives get worse she called in prednisone to the pharmacy near my house.
Hopefully the vet hears back from the radiologist soon. She's a bit perplexed by all of the symptoms Ruckus is having , but thinks that his system was fighting so hard to get that stick/hair wad thrown up that his immune system's guard was down and that's causing the skin issue and neck swelling.

I feel like I can't win today -- vomiting, skin issues, hives, like ughhhhhhhhh.

I will definitely ask about the barium X-ray if this one is inconclusive or he isn't getting better. All I want to do is call in sick to work tomorrow and baby my poor sick Ruckus, but I think Keith and I will each take a half day shift. Regina is on 24 hour duty, of course.

I'm uneasy about the diagnosis that the neck swelling is caused by the skin issues, but we'll see how it goes.

When Tyson ate the three socks that we had no idea about he acted really weird for quite a while he did a lot of lipsmacking and eating grass and was just not himself and more lethargic. Then eventually he started vomiting his food for a day or two. Then the first one came up, the following day the second one came up (sock) we thought for sure that was it because he must've eaten them in a pair but even after getting both out he was still sick so we did multiple sets of x-rays that were even sent off to a radiologist to be reviewed because there was one area in question the radiologist report came back that all was clear and nothing was abnormal. We also paid extra money for the radiologist to review it. I was not convinced so the vet did an ultrasound the ultrasound also turned up nothing but yet he continued to be sick so finally we took him to a bulldog experienced a vet (this is before we had found her) and she immediately said we needed to get barium in him. Not even two hours later after administering the barium is when they called me to see show me the x-rays where the barium was surrounding something. We had no choice but to put him under and go in and see what was there it ended up being a third sock that was already adhered to his stomach so there was no way he was going to get it out! Had they not gone in, his body would've become septic and we could have lost him.

Not telling you any of this to scare you but by any means he continues to be sick and continues to vomit I would definitely push for the barium. Remember you know your baby better than anyone else which is why I was relentless and kept pushing which finally led me to search for a bulldog experienced vet. God sent, we adore our vet now and The entire staff there - I can't believe the difference it makes!

Coming from someone who's been there first hand I know how painful it is to watch them be sick lethargic and just not themselves. The shot they gave him is either (famodine) which is literally just Pepcid or Cerenia. Not sure that that should cause a reaction like hives what antibiotic did they give him??

Sending many many hugs and prayers and I do agree that at least one of you should stay with him just in case. Poor baby boy. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Jackie, I'm so sorry to hear about what your poor boy is going through! I hope you hear from the vet soon! Sending healing thoughts and prayers for you and Ruckus. Much love, Susan and Jersey. :pray2:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sending hugs & prayers over y'all...so touching that Sissy Regina is on it!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Poor guy... I hope you both can get some rest tonight :babysleep:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Just reading this now. Holy cow! Hang in there Jackie, your little trooper sure is. Look at him, he's not giving up! :2thumbs: :hug: :pray:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
How did Ruckus do last night? I will out out in the morning, but I'll check in once I get home...

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Just reading this now, hope you get some results soon poor Ruckus.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online