Off to the vet -- swollen neck, vommitting, possible blockage [emoji22]

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I think my boss is going to have my head. My parents were in town visiting so we did the tourist thing in DC all weekend, the dogs had a blast getting some pets and belly scratches.

Well early yesterday morning ruckus threw up kibble, ok happens. Well there were two more piles when we came back from museums and then he vommitted again a few times. So at this point I'm worried and don't give him dinner. He begs for some late at night and I give him a few handfuls that he keeps down. A couple poops later, not great poops but not diarrhea, I think he had a stomach bug or something. Then he wants to play so we think ok he's on the mend. Fast forward to 2am he's restless and Wales me up, I got to pet him some and notice his neck is swollen in a few areas and it goes all the way up his cheeks. It's hard to see in a picture because it's more of a thickening of the skin and not like round swelling. He isn't totally lethargic but he lacks his normal spunk.

So our vet isn't in until the afternoon so we see her at 1:30. Well Ruckus just threw up and this came out: hair and string maybe? Could he have had a blockage? I'm freaking out and can't get to the vet soon enough.

0c529d8734dd53841c6b9242003d3bdf.jpg

dc3c092124f831a756ceffd64e498271.jpg

Update: I ripped it open -- looks like a piece of stick and hair, but like short dog hairs and not just long human ones. [emoji22][emoji46]

be11b3e5ad903880b4a2bee21f2d6724.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh my word. Poor baby. I bet the constant vomiting was being caused by his body trying to get rid of that. If he's been pooping then he wasn't fully blocked, maybe just partial. The swollen neck worries me though... why would he be swollen? I would have them do xrays for sure, just to make sure nothing else is in there. If they look clear, then maybe some stomach meds just to help the acid in his stomach settle back down. Please keep us posted, and the fact that he was able to get that out on his own is a good thing.

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Oh my word. Poor baby. I bet the constant vomiting was being caused by his body trying to get rid of that. If he's been pooping then he wasn't fully blocked, maybe just partial. The swollen neck worries me though... why would he be swollen? I would have them do xrays for sure, just to make sure nothing else is in there. If they look clear, then maybe some stomach meds just to help the acid in his stomach settle back down. Please keep us posted, and the fact that he was able to get that out on his own is a good thing.

Definitely yes on the X-ray and definitely yes on keeping you posted. I can't believe he ate that piece of stick...it has some pointy ends so I'm shocked it came back up. Poor guy seems a little disoriented. He's not pooping much at all today, like a tiny bit, but not sure if it's blockage or if he just doesn't have anything to give since he's not eating much but vommitting.

Extra snuggles dos my big guy tonight. Regina is worried about him and is staying close.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Definitely yes on the X-ray and definitely yes on keeping you posted. I can't believe he ate that piece of stick...it has some pointy ends so I'm shocked it came back up. Poor guy seems a little disoriented. He's not pooping much at all today, like a tiny bit, but not sure if it's blockage or if he just doesn't have anything to give since he's not eating much but vommitting.

Extra snuggles dos my big guy tonight. Regina is worried about him and is staying close.

Poor guy! I can tell you that it takes alot out of them when they are constantly vomiting. When Tyson had those socks in him, he was so not himself, and lethargic. You are right some of that looks pretty pointy, I would want them to check to make sure it didn't hurt him while moving inside. I know you have mentioned you have a great bulldog vet so hopefully they will check all aspects!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I hope he is OK. It looks almost like a fur ball with other stuff mixed in. I am sure he is feeling a litle bit better now that is gone though.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Good Luck little guy. I'm hoping you are on the mend and will be back to your old self soon.

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
We're at the vet, they took him for X-rays. He did not like that thermometer going in there, but he's being a trooper. Vet said the neck swelling is mostly a skin issue, we found some hot spots under all that fur that must have popped up last night -- the inflammation from that caused glands to swell and he skin to swell. Checking for other things too, she's trying to figure out if and how the vommitting and skin issues and swelling are going together.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh GOSH... I would take him to the vets ASAP, there is NO telling what he has gotten into. Walter had a swollen neck like that and at first I thought it was a bee sting, but he ended up having puppy strangles. Sending lots of prayers, PLEASE keep us updated on Ruckus!!!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We're at the vet, they took him for X-rays. He did not like that thermometer going in there, but he's being a trooper. Vet said the neck swelling is mostly a skin issue, we found some hot spots under all that fur that must have popped up last night -- the inflammation from that caused glands to swell and he skin to swell. Checking for other things too, she's trying to figure out if and how the vommitting and skin issues and swelling are going together.

Ok that sounds good... hotspots are easily treated, so no worries there. Hang in there hon!!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Poor Ruckus - we hope the vet finds out what the problem is and that Nurse Regina can help you care for him. Castor sends a big hug.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Poor Ruckus!! Murray and I are sending hugs and healing thoughts your way

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ok soooo they did an X-ray -- the vet said there was something that she couldn't be positive about and needed to send it to a radiologist - so we're waiting to hear back on that and the vet said we'll know today. She said that she can't tell if his cecum (connecting intestine to colon) is in a strange place or if he has inflammation and a blockage in the intestine. I'm counting the seconds until they call with results. Based on what they say, Ruckus might need IV fluids. Vet said of its a blockage it's too far back for Ruckus to throw it up, so needs to be flushed out in other ways. We got an antibiotic for his skin and if that doesn't help the swelling they'll try a steroid. I'm researching all of this and freaking out about the X-ray results but trying to stay positive especially since he's not acting like he's in pain... For some reason he smelled AWFUL when he got back from X-rays....uhhhhh so he got a bath....he was not pleased.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Aww, sweet boy! I hope you get a call with good news soon. Hang in there mom!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh so he's at home w/you now? Well hang tight, sounds like your vet is making sure of what she is seeing on the x-ray and not rushing into anything. I will tag some members that are familiar w/the barium x-ray's, sometimes they give a clearer picture of a lower intestinal blockage. Hang in there, we are still praying!!! :pray:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online