Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
This is getting ridiculous.

Initially, I was was able to give pills to Bella in her kibble. She'd gobble up everything in ignorance. [God, how I miss those days!]

In her brilliance, however, Bella started eating around the pills. Then, I started giving them to her in a spoonful of yogurt. Then, she started swallowing the yogurt and spitting out the pills. Feeling like had no options, I started putting them on the back of her tongue and lifting her head. This sucks so bad! It's messy and she hates it. It got to the point where she wouldn't come to me for her meals. She actually skipped a meal because she wouldn't come to me to get her pill.

The poor thing was getting a lot of pills, so I know she hated life. But now, she's back to getting just 1/2 an Apoquel with breakfast. Still, though, I can't get her to take it without putting it on the back of her tongue.

Please tell me there is a better way.

image.jpeg

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Bazza is on thyroid tablets, He will spit them out if he finds them too !! I just have to smear them with peanut butter, and he just licks them off my finger, I make sure there is enough to cover them and more, or I put them in left over food and I often have a couple of pieces without the tablet as well, ready to go as well so he gobbles down the first one or two. Good Luck.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I wrap Monty's in a slice of ham or turkey luncheon meat. No problem. You could also try cheese. Monty will eat anything howver!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I wrap Monty's in a slice of ham or turkey luncheon meat. No problem. You could also try cheese. Monty will eat anything howver!

Bella used to be this way, too! *sigh*

Thanks guys!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I feel your pain!

Chumly was the worst dog in the world to give pills to and the only dog I couldn't get a pill down his throat. My hand would nearly be all the way down and he would still spit it up! I had to get very inventive (he was on a bunch of heart pills and had to have them). I started with luncheon meat, that worked for a while. Then luncheon meat with cheese. Then bread, meat, cheese. After that it was bread with butter, meat and cheese. Then bread, butter, peanut butter..... Finally the pièce de résistance.... bread with butter both sides, meat, cream cheese, dipped and thoroughly coated in canned cat food! Really messy but SUCCESS!! There were a few other combinations in the middle of all of that but you get my drift. It was a nightmare! And I would do it all again in a second, bless him.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Walter is the WORST!!! I get a spoon and place a small amount of peanut butter on it and roll the pill in it (I call it the PB BOMB). He takes em' like a champ, and he can't separate the pill from the butter... Lol

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I guess I'll try peanut butter. After all this, she's so suspicious. She's hesitant when I even put the spoon to her mouth.

:facepalm2::facepalm2:

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I have found that hiding it in a dollop of pumpkin in my hand works. If I put it in a spoon he spits it out. He will lick it off my hand and swallow.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I just hand the pill to chunky and he swallows it. The first bulldog I had we had to hide the pill in food of some sort.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
I give Jersey her pill with yogurt too, but lately she's caught on to it and spits it out. So I give her a little yogurt with no pill and then a little with the pill. For now it works, seems to catch her off guard. Hope this helps!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
We have used those pill pockets - by Greenies, maybe worth a shot??

I toyed with with buying these. I'll see how the peanut butter works.
[MENTION=8888]Jersey[/MENTION] Bella has caught on to that yogurt trick. Lol

I'm hoping the thicker peanut butter will better mask the pill. :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We use sting cheese to hide the pills, the trick is to give one with the pill and have another piece in your hand ready to immediately give to them. Let them see the other piece, they will swallow the first quickly to get the second piece. Works every time. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
When I give Nyala her vitamin, I hide it in a piece of meat and have another piece of meat above her nose as shes miss piggy. She'll swallow the first one cause she knows another piece is following lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.