Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
My friend does bullmastiff rescue, and I've been itching to help her out. I was told they might have three dogs from Chicago that might be transported to my area. Eeeep!

I'm very excited, but scared, too. I've never had two dogs before. :pray:

In the past, I've read many threads about introducing new dogs to single-dog households. I should introduce them outside the house...that's all I've retained, I think. :whistle:

Any other thoughts?

I have no idea if it would be a pup/adult, male/female. Bella LOVES other dogs...she's never met a dog she didn't want to love all over. I don't worry about her. I worry about the foster.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
First, congrats!! ok, so they should be introduced outside of the home. take them for a nice walk that differs from Bella's normal walk route. then when you bring them into the home, let the rescue go in first so Bella does not think she is in charge or the leader. Is bella dog friendly? If so, you can let them interact under your strict supervision. IF you see bella starting to display any behavior you do not like, trying to show dominance, staring, etc.... you need to give a very firm, very loud, NO Bella command and she should understand her behavior will not be tolerated. When I brought Frankie into the house Brutus was not having it so I had to gate them apart for approx. 1 1/2 months, so Brutus could get used to Frankie being in the house and 3yrs later they are the best of friends. any questions please feel free to PM me or ask here in this thread. I will check back.
I jsut read that Bella likes other dogs, so maybe just let them get to know each other separtely until you get a better feel for the dog coming in.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Make sure at least two people(adults) are present and that both dogs have leads on that can be grabbed. Martingale collars or harnesses work best...that the dogs cannot easily get/back out of. We typically let them loose and stay within close proximity so as to break up an altercation should one come about. It's been a long time since we had any sort of fuss between newly introduced dogs. Any issues, if there ever are any, usually come about once the honeymoon period(days/weeks) is over. Look for the warning signs...ears back, hackles up, staring, etc.

You'll likely have no problems but best be ready for anything...NEVER EVER reach with your hand between 2 dogs going at it.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Make sure at least two people(adults) are present and that both dogs have leads on that can be grabbed. Martingale collars or harnesses work best...that the dogs cannot easily get/back out of. We typically let them loose and stay within close proximity so as to break up an altercation should one come about. It's been a long time since we had any sort of fuss between newly introduced dogs. Any issues, if there ever are any, usually come about once the honeymoon period(days/weeks) is over. Look for the warning signs...ears back, hackles up, staring, etc.

You'll likely have no problems but best be ready for anything...NEVER EVER reach with your hand between 2 dogs going at it.
If they do wind up in an altercation it is always best to grab one of the dogs by their hind legs and pull them toward you. this throws them off balance and saves you from getting bit

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Wow, thanks so much guys!! I will certainly keep everyone updated.

[I didn't think about monster poops! LOL]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
AWESOME!! Gang has you covered.... my only suggestion if it is possible, knowing Bella -- see if you can get a male, she will be more open to a male than a female entering 'her' home based on the information you have shared with us.

I also tagged Chris --- she ha lots of experience with Bull Mastiffs... she was owned by a few of them ;)

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
AWESOME!! Gang has you covered.... my only suggestion if it is possible, knowing Bella -- see if you can get a male, she will be more open to a male than a female entering 'her' home based on the information you have shared with us.

I also tagged Chris --- she ha lots of experience with Bull Mastiffs... she was owned by a few of them ;)

Wow, thanks!! You guys are the best!

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Bullmastiffs from my experience are just bigger versions of English Bulldogs in temperament. One of my old neighbors got one a few years after i got my first english bulldog and they got along great. That is the only dog the female I had would let drink her water. She might of felt motherly to him since they were introduced when he was a pup and she had already had two litters of pups.

They think they are lap dogs also which is funny. He has a regular mastiff now and wishes he got another Bullmastiff

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If they do wind up in an altercation it is always best to grab one of the dogs by their hind legs and pull them toward you. this throws them off balance and saves you from getting bit

If you're pulling the mastiff make sure you've eaten your cheerios in the morning! Bullmastiff has a great temperament. Very docile dogs. Im sure all will go fine.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Congrats BIG dogs
You will not know what environment the dog has come from , just sweeping the floor might scare him/her
Large water bowl lottsa fresh water placed on a large matt for drool out of those jowls to drain on , rolls and rolls of paper towels for drool , expect your pants to get covered , some drool more then others. They can be messy eaters also .
I am so envious of you lol , Odin turned Me back into a large dog lover , BE THE ALPHA in the house I am sure you know that already , and everyone that posted is right on the button
They can become protective of you and yours be fully aware of that , a friend of mine had one since a pup and it lived forever but it was protective of what he felt was his from people to his food bowl not vicious at all but could and would make his point very clear , he was loving to the whole family but picked one person in that pack and really showed affection to that person more so then the rest turned into a HUGE lap dog to that person .
I must know how you make out this is wonderful news .

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Congratulations... I can't wait to hear how Bella does, my hubby has wanted a mastiff for years. We want to see pics!!!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I love you guys! I'm so much less nervous now. :D I don't have any info from the rescue yet...at this point, I'm just waiting.

I will be sure to update!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
This is Jade, a 7-year-old girl that's up for foster. I'm very nervous about her being a female, but she sure is gorgeous. I'm not sure if my anxiety is from this new endeavor, or if it's a valid concern for how this would work for Bella.

I was told that I should keep them separate for at least a month. (How feasible is that??)

Help me, friends. I don't know what to do.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Note: The rescue said that they don't usually let first-time fosters take males.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.