Gonna be a bullmastiff foster mom!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] is bang on! I've trained big dogs and doesn't matter the size. It's the same training. Right now you cannot think for one second "you're freaking out or nervous" that dog will pick it up ASAP! You need to control yourself first before Jade as you won't be any good to Jade. You've raised your bully quite well so it's the same thing but a bigger mutt lolll. Just relax and breathe before you do anything. I guarantee you, you will do just fine. And like mentioned keep toys n bones away from both dogs when together. Baby steps! :)

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION]

Imagine a big Nyala? Sh*t I would need a second job just the way i feed her Lolll

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I know exactly how you are feeling Brutus77 is right on the button with everything , Odin scared hell out of Me he was so big and strong and I am so old and fat you hang in use your instincts . I am not sure about a month of separation sometime it is to cover ones *** if there are issues those type of statement s mean they are like you Jade is a unkown to you all . I introduced Odin right away to the bunch outside and it was fine for all of them . I know the feeling of Panic I went thru it also , I did not let it show they will read it like a book , I was firm at all times and never changed that ever . I was always consistent with them they had to understand I was in charge . You will do good I have full confidence in you . You will be laughing about this in a month Cali

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you so, so, so much everyone! You guys are an absolutely amazing group of people.

I told the rescue that I couldn't take Jade. It was a very difficult decision, but I was too scared that I'd be in over my head, which would be horrible for Jade and Bella. I told the rescue that I had too many concerns about taking her, but I'd love to help as much as I can.

The email response I got said, "We will look elsewhere for help for Jade. She’s about as easy and issue-free a foster dog as you would find, so clearly fostering isn’t for you. I’m glad you let us know before we moved her."

I guess they're right. :( I feel like crap.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well I'm not really crazy about their response to you, but you know best and if you truly felt like you could not do it, then you made the right decision. Maybe to them jade is an easy going dog to foster but to someone who has never done it before, it can certainly be overwhelming. In my opinion, they could have used this as a teaching/learning experience and given you some guidelines. Everyone starts out inexperienced and making mistakes, it's how we learn. The first night we had frankie I called the rescue and said I couldn't do it, he had to go back, I was completely in over my head and had no idea what I was doing. Laurette who runs the rescue talked me through my concerns and helped me and stayed involved with me through the early days and now I have my beautiful boy still 3 yrs later. Maybe the time wasn't right for you now, but don't give up hope. We are always here for you Cali.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Cali, I'm sure you made the right decision for you and Bella. I wouldn't rule out rescuing, I think just that rescue group isn't right for you! (Or at least that person who made that jerk of a comment!) I'm sure it wasn't an easy choice to make but don't let anyone make you feel guilty. The right opportunity will come along for and Bella at the right time, that I am sure. Hugs from Murray and I
Thank you so, so, so much everyone! You guys are an absolutely amazing group of people.

I told the rescue that I couldn't take Jade. It was a very difficult decision, but I was too scared that I'd be in over my head, which would be horrible for Jade and Bella. I told the rescue that I had too many concerns about taking her, but I'd love to help as much as I can.

The email response I got said, "We will look elsewhere for help for Jade. She’s about as easy and issue-free a foster dog as you would find, so clearly fostering isn’t for you. I’m glad you let us know before we moved her."

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Oh no no Cali, dont do that to yourself. You probably just wasnt ready and with your big heart, you just wanted to help :) Doesn't mean you will never foster one day. Your gut told you just not now...that's all. Fostering isn't for everyone, dogs aren't for everyone, children aren't for everyone. This is why all great members in here was trying to guide you to prepare and help you with all great advice. Bullmastiff are very sweetheart dogs. Their size are more impressive than anything else. Like I said earlier, baby steps Cali. You mentioned you would like to help as much as you can...you can take a smaller dog for the day. See how that goes. Just an example. Im sure you will be a great foster momma. Don't put yourself down. You made the right decision and it's not for now. That's all.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Don't feel that way... you always have to go with your gut and do what is best for you first. I agree with Rosalie... the rescue should have offered some guidance or support since it was your first attempt at fostering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
You did right, you did the best thing for Bella, always be sure since Bella is your only one. Great Bully Mama you are.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
[MENTION=13235]Cali Doll[/MENTION] you've got to trust your instincts. I don't like the response the rescue gave you at all, but I can't say I'm totally surprised. It depends on the rescue and I know most all of them mean well, but at times they come across elitist and can really put people off of helping out. I used to help out with a local rescue group here in DC (not bulldog specific) and I found that a lot of the people involved meant well, but some had never had dogs before being involved with this rescue and some held very specific views of dog ownership and animal care and could be quite snippy. I tried to foster once with them and on was a disaster. It maybe could have calmed down after a few days but it was stressing Keith out so we passed the dog off to another foster (I felt bad...) but the dog was not the age, size, or energy level they described. I also fielded some bulldog related bs and eventually quit volunteering.

Isn't North Carolina Pantry the one with tons of dogs and adopts out of state? Maybe you can find a submissive make to be Bella's bff!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I think your wonderful , you trusted your instincts that is the most important thing for you and Bella , There were days at the very start with Odin that scared heck out of Me , I decided to think about it for three days , in the end he stayed . Well done My Friend

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=13235]Cali Doll[/MENTION]
Isn't North Carolina Pantry the one with tons of dogs and adopts out of state? Maybe you can find a submissive make to be Bella's bff!

Yes... Carolina Pet Pantry is her store the rescue is Bullies 2 The Rescue--- they are slammed and always looking for fosters

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online