natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
This is Jade, a 7-year-old girl that's up for foster. I'm very nervous about her being a female, but she sure is gorgeous. I'm not sure if my anxiety is from this new endeavor, or if it's a valid concern for how this would work for Bella.

I was told that I should keep them separate for at least a month. (How feasible is that??)

Help me, friends. I don't know what to do.

View attachment 101270View attachment 101271

Note: The rescue said that they don't usually let first-time fosters take males.

I would follow those instructions given and all the more so at feeding time . Depending on the unknow for Jade so was he mistreated , was he starving , I am still learning with Nelli for example we are starting house fly season here , I pick up the fly swatter and start , well she had issues with that big time = the broom ya gotta sweep a lot with 5 dogs she does not like that , yet she is amused at the vacuum . I found she was a gobbler when fed , so got her a slow eating bowl to slow her down Rosie also uses one , she is not worried about other dog around when she eats , yet I feed all dog separated always . With introductions I use neutral area,s but on the property , one at a time slow and at odd times not the same time same place . Now I have the time you might not but I observe all they do as a new dog to My home I literally look at there every move ( I prefer females not males especially saves ) I have a strong strong gate they can see thru even touch noses and I leave a lead on the new dog so if there is a issue I have something to grab even just the harness if there is a issue does no one any good if you are hurt during a altercation trying to separate dogs.
Jade is gorgeous , did they give you any background they must know something , She will have anxiety she will be scared poopless depending on where and what she came from Cali , also Bella might be jealous so keep a eye on that .
I agree with them not giving Males, Odin was a quick hard learning curve yet I had large breeds before there stronger then the females and I find can be more stubborn and the fight could be on for who will be the Alpha male in the group no matter the size of that group , boy the looks he gave Me when we were figuring that all out were plain scary for Me but I showed NO fear and won that position was very important to harmony . Cali you have had dogs you know what your doing just relax and observe what you have baby steps My friend go slow .
At the start let Jade also chill , if you are gonna do a introduction have someone there , neutral place and i would wait at least a week at least let them sniff each others Poop and pee just as good as for a start as snipping each others bums . I am very excited for your adventure hang in and observe right now

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is Jade, a 7-year-old girl that's up for foster. I'm very nervous about her being a female, but she sure is gorgeous. I'm not sure if my anxiety is from this new endeavor, or if it's a valid concern for how this would work for Bella.

I was told that I should keep them separate for at least a month. (How feasible is that??)

Help me, friends. I don't know what to do.

View attachment 101270View attachment 101271

Note: The rescue said that they don't usually let first-time fosters take males.

She is beautiful!!!
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] [MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION]

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I can't lie. I'm freaking out...kinda panicking. I'm not sure why... :( I haven't told them anything yet.

I'm very nervous.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
She is beautiful!!!
@brutus77 @ChrisRN
Ok, I have been through this and am currently going through this right now. First you have to try to relax as much as possible because the dogs will pick up your nerves/tension. You should start with a nice walk outside the house to introduce them, then introduction on leashes in the backyard. Make sure there is one person to each dog and correct any unwanted behavior such as staring, growling, humping, etc.. by gently tugging on the leash and sternly saying NO. When in the house I keep mine separate with a see through kiddie gate. This allows the dogs to get aquainted with each others scent in the home. Pay very close attention to body language at the times they are at the gate looking at each other. If there is staring or rigid body language, correct immediately. If one dog turns sideways against the gate, or lays down and rolls over, this is submission and this is good. That means one of the dogs is accepting their place in the pack. When you see good interaction between the dogs like submission, or sharing toys, (mine will pass them to each other under the gate or through the slats of the gate) they are ready for face to face introduction in the house.REMOVE ALL TOYS FROM COMMON AREAS WHERE THE DOGS WILL BE INTERACTING! This is very important and I cannot repeat it enough, toys and bones lead to aggression while trying to introduce a new member to the pack. Keep everyone leashed and an adult for each dog in the room. hold the leashes and see how the body language is. If they seem unbothered by each other, and you are comfortable, you can let the leashes drag behing them while they interact, BUT do not take the leashes off until you have had this face to face interaction without incident a number of times as you may need the leash to quickly remove one or both of the dogs should things go south. Always remember they can pick up on your body language so try to stay calm and correct them with a level head and voice. Any yelling or excitement from you will translate to the dogs and could create a fight. This takes time and patience but it can be done. When we rescued frankie 3yrs ago, my Brutus was not very cooperative. He was growling, biting at Frankies legs and through a lot of time and work and very slow interactions, they are best buddies now. Also, as a side note, I never feed my boys together. Brutus eats on one side of the gate and Frankie eats on the other, and right now Jack will eat after everyone else. This is important because again it can lead to aggression. Really you want to avoid anything that you think will lead to one dog trying to show dominance. Good luck, and always feel free to ask advice. Like I said I am going through this right now trying to slowly introduce an 8month old rescue to my boys who are 3 and 5 yrs old.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I can't lie. I'm freaking out...kinda panicking. I'm not sure why... :( I haven't told them anything yet.

I'm very nervous.

Settle down --- they will pick up on that energy and feed off it. Rosalie gave you awesome insight and advice. breathe --- we are all here to help you

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm just doubting I can do it, because I'm by myself...and I'm a singleton. I don't have anyone at home all day while I'm at work. I'm also worried about Bella and how she'll respond to all of this. What if all this is just too much for me?

I'm kind feeling like a failure...maybe I'm just hormonal.

I want to make the right decision, and I'm just not sure what that is right now.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm just doubting I can do it, because I'm by myself...and I'm a singleton. I don't have anyone at home all day while I'm at work. I'm also worried about Bella and how she'll respond to all of this. What if all this is just too much for me?

I'm kind feeling like a failure...maybe I'm just hormonal.

I want to make the right decision, and I'm just not sure what that is right now.
For the time you are alone I would leave them separated for now until you get a feel for how each dog is going to react. How is Bella normally with other dogs? If she is friendly and well socialized, and you do not have anyone to help with interraction, I would leave Bella with her leash dragging and keep a hold on the new dog. You can do it, just take your time and only let them face to face interract when you are comfortable. There really is not set time table for this, it is up to you and the dogs to decide.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella is very friendly, but sometimes she's too much for people and other dogs. What I mean is, she's overly excitable. I've seen dogs get mad at her because she comes on so darn strong. Other times, she's chill. She's not always consistent. She absolutely LOVES other dogs...but, sometimes that love is just too much. lol

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella is very friendly, but sometimes she's too much for people and other dogs. What I mean is, she's overly excitable. I've seen dogs get mad at her because she comes on so darn strong. Other times, she's chill. She's not always consistent. She absolutely LOVES other dogs...but, sometimes that love is just too much. lol
Ok, so this is good, I would keep a squirt bottle of water on hand and when she gets over zealous, just give her a squirt and tell her NO, she will stop. Frankie decided he wants to hump Jack and I had to squirt him a couple of times and now he sees the bottle and takes of running! lol

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Ok, so this is good, I would keep a squirt bottle of water on hand and when she gets over zealous, just give her a squirt and tell her NO, she will stop. Frankie decided he wants to hump Jack and I had to squirt him a couple of times and now he sees the bottle and takes of running! lol

But, what about what they said about keeping them separate for a month? Does that sounds right (and feasible) to you?

ETA: I asked if Bella and I could go visit Jade and see if they all get along. That's when the rescue told me that they recommend keeping them separate for a month.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
But, what about what they said about keeping them separate for a month? Does that sounds right (and feasible) to you?

ETA: I asked if Bella and I could go visit Jade and see if they all get along. That's when the rescue told me that they recommend keeping them separate for a month.
Well, aside from the initial walk outside the house, i do keep them separate from each other until they get used to being in the house together. In my post I said I keep them apart with a see through baby gate where they can smell each other and come to terms with each other. When they are showing sign of being comfortable with each other, refer back to my post for signs, then I would do the leashed interactions in the yard and then move on to the leashed interactions in the house.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
She is a good looking Bullmastiff and looks like she is small. My buddies Bullmastiff was bigger than she looks in the pictures but I guess they all come in different sizes.

I would want to introduce Bella to her before deciding also but I have never been in your situation.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] she reminds me of a bigger Nyala!!!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=13235]Cali Doll[/MENTION] as a fellow singleton bully mom I have every faith and confidence that you will do right by both of the girls. I am praying for you ladies and hopeful it all works out well.

Most Reactions