Soft Palate Surgery - Mandatory for All English Bulldogs

ParryTack

May 23, 2017
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Montegue
My puppy had the surgery at 5 months old. The vets at the University of Florida Veterinary Hospital agree,
ALL Bulldogs could benefit from the surgery. Monty did well and I'm so glad he had the surgery. It killed me watching him try to breath, most distressed at night trying to sleep. Don't wait, help them out.
Anita

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I like that name, Montegue. :)
It's good that your pup had successful palate surgery. The short and long term benefits are huge. We have done upwards of 20 palate surgeries to our rescues over the past 5 years. All were successful and all vastly improved the breathing of the patients. It's good surgery when needed.
And on the other side of that coin...
We have 6 bulldogs in our home right now and I wouldn't do soft pallet surgery on any of them if it were offered free. There would be no benefit to it and only normal risk putting them under GA. They breathe great. Any Vet that lumps all Bulldogs in the same pot declaring they all need (or would benefit from) SPR surgery is ignorant &/or misinformed. Spreading that misinformation is irresponsible. It's simply not true.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.