Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soft Palate Surgery - Mandatory for All English Bulldogs

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Soft Palate Surgery - Mandatory for All English Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    Well bred English Bulldogs do not need pallet surgery. I have never had it done on any of my bulldogs, nor have any of the pups we have had ever needed this procedure, and we live in one of the hottest places on earth!

But yes, there are a huge vast number of poorly bred bulldogs as well as bulldogs whose genetic predisposition will creep up on an unexpecting litter, and having pallet surgery can greatly increase their breathing.

Under precaution though, never 'dive' into a pallet surgery without getting xrays done, your bulldog who can't breathe well could have a very small treachea which could be the vast reason behind their breathing trouble. Make sure you get a well informed decision before doing ANY surgical procedure on your bulldogs.
    Well said!

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetDozer View Post
    Regards to his weight, he is an OLDE English bulldogge . He is fed twice a day with prescription food and salmon.
    " Olde English Bulldogge is generally 18-20 inches high for males and 17-18 inches high for females. Females typically weigh between 50-70 pounds whereas males typically weigh between 65-85 pounds"
    His weight is not the issue. He sees a very good vet. Thank you.
    prescription food??? What is this prescription food?

By the way, Nyala "was" suppose to be a mini at 12-14" and she's 17" @ 40lbs for now. Still a pup. So when it comes to size or weight, you have to take it with a grain of salt. My GS suppose to be 75-85lbs male... and was 115lbs all muscles. My dobermans were the same. So it's either orijen for pups or fresh air we have in Canada lollll.. anyway I gave up on charts.

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    Well bred English Bulldogs do not need pallet surgery. I have never had it done on any of my bulldogs, nor have any of the pups we have had ever needed this procedure, and we live in one of the hottest places on earth!

But yes, there are a huge vast number of poorly bred bulldogs as well as bulldogs whose genetic predisposition will creep up on an unexpecting litter, and having pallet surgery can greatly increase their breathing.

Under precaution though, never 'dive' into a pallet surgery without getting xrays done, your bulldog who can't breathe well could have a very small treachea which could be the vast reason behind their breathing trouble. Make sure you get a well informed decision before doing ANY surgical procedure on your bulldogs.
    You are probably right, but I'm not sure it's as easy as that. On paper, Castor was not poorly bred (both his grandfathers were national champions (different countries) for instance) and as far as I know, no one else in his family had to have this done, but Castor ended up with a lot of excess tissue that was surgically removed and they widened his nostrils. One thing that I have wondered about, though, is whether this surgery is taken into account when dogs are shown? I mean, you cannot see whether a dog has gone through this surgery, and it's not written into his registration card. So could this be a disorder that is being passed on from one generation to the next because it is not kept on record whether the dog has gone through the surgery?

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

5. Likes bullmama liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    So could this be a disorder that is being passed on from one generation to the next because it is not kept on record whether the dog has gone through the surgery?
    Absolutely. Not to say they all would/do but, I imagine many breeders of Bulldogs would care way more about the $$$ than they would carrying on a healthy lineage. I also think that there are many breeders that would stop breeding a particular dog if they became aware of a heart defect, hip defect, or other genetic issue but wouldn't do so for a palate issue.
    Money makes people do unscrupulous things all the time.

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

7. Likes 2BullyMama, cefe13 liked this post
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Soft Palate Surgery - Mandatory for All English Bulldogs

Yes, as stated above just because a bulldog is a champion doesn't make it healthy. Edit: (but those who do show DO put a lot into their dogs, which they would likely/hopefully put into their breeding program as well)

Now with that being said, even two Bulldogs who have had 100% health and have had a litter of pups that are perfect can breed again and maybe 1 pup will get a genetic problem from generations past. This is with ANY person, dog, ect. Sometimes something just doesn't go right while they are in gestation.

However, the odds greatly increase if you breed a bulldog who does have a genetic problem- and this can happen no matter what measures you take, but is so much worse! But sadly many breeders and mills simply don't care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bullmama; 09-13-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

9. Likes 2BullyMama, cefe13, oscarmayer liked this post
    Real Name
    Toni
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bodie
    Likes (Received)

I don't believe it's "mandatory" for all brachy breeds or EB's. If there's issues with ones quality of life or specific issues, than by all means, do it! But make sure that it's not just a money hungry vet telling you that your dog has these problems, but you don't seem to notice them! Get second, even third opinions if necessary!! My boy, Bodie, had his nares done at 3 months old when having his first surgery for urethral prolapse. Unfortunately, they grew back!! So, for nares, my opinion is to wait till their at least 1 year old, unless health requires it earlier. With that being said, Bodie doesn't have any issues with his breathing. At 7 months old, he had his 2nd surgery for urethral prolapse and at that time the vet checked the soft palate, ventricles, etc...there was some concern with his ventricles inverting, but we were advised to wait until after he turned 1, so his insides were done growing. His bday is the end of December, so when he turned 1, the vet suggested waiting till that summer to see how he did with the heat. Needless to say, he'll be 7 this December and, knock on wood, no surgery!! But, we're still dealing with urethral prolapses...😭

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    You'll never know true, unconditional love and loyalty until you own a Bully! A smooshy-face, full of wrinkles, slobber mouthed, stinky Bully!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads