Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 2 - House Training

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chapo
    Likes (Received)

Default Day 2 - House Training

So my Pup Chapo is learning quick when it comes to commands. He still shows a bit of stubbornness because he looks at me when I call his name to come to me but he still proceeds to do what he wants even when i raise my voice a little bit lol. I use the treats for enforcements when he does a good deed. He pee pee'd on his mat twice automatically but he also goes on his bed. I have a playpen that i keep open for him to go inside freely but when i am out he close it. When i am home he wanders around and i keep a treats near his Pee Pads so i can reward him immediately after he goes. Any tips or advice would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes 2BullyMama, rjisaterp liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chapo
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Day 2 - House Training

His pen has room for a pad and a bed. Would it be a good idea to keep both inside? I know either way there will be a mess but for the long hall, will he eventually learn? I was told not to put pad in the same place they sleep.

4. Likes 2BullyMama, rjisaterp liked this post
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Depends on if you have a bed eater or not. Mine eats fiber filled beds but not pads so that is what she has in her crate. When we first brought our home we used a towel or pad that only covered half of the crate floor so if there was a mess it was easier to clean up. After she was house broken and could make it through the night we switched to a full size pad.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

6. Likes 2BullyMama, rjisaterp liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I agree w/Todd... mine ate the pads, so I ended up not using them very often. Chap is so cute, he will get the potty training consistency is the key. You'd better get used to the stubbornness, many of us still see that behavior on a daily basis...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

8. Likes Manydogs, rjisaterp, MFrey2012, ryecoon liked this post
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

We had to take away beds because he chewed and peed on them. We used old ripped sheets in the crate instead. We reintroduced the bed at a later time in life. He chewed up the pee pads so those were taken away also.

I recommend using a word command when he goes to the bathroom outdoors. We chose the polish word for poop since it's one we won't say accidentally. When he goes to the bathroom outside you say the word and eventually it is associated with the action. It's a great command to have in the arsenal for rainy days.

I would also practice the leave it command. I do it every time I give him a bowl of food. Maybe if you do it early enough he can learn drop it too but I've given up on that command for mine. It takes an incredibly high value treat for him to drop anything.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    We had to take away beds because he chewed and peed on them. We used old ripped sheets in the crate instead. We reintroduced the bed at a later time in life. He chewed up the pee pads so those were taken away also.

I recommend using a word command when he goes to the bathroom outdoors. We chose the polish word for poop since it's one we won't say accidentally. When he goes to the bathroom outside you say the word and eventually it is associated with the action. It's a great command to have in the arsenal for rainy days.

I would also practice the leave it command. I do it every time I give him a bowl of food. Maybe if you do it early enough he can learn drop it too but I've given up on that command for mine. It takes an incredibly high value treat for him to drop anything.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

11. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Under 'Forums' there is a special section on Puppies, lots of excellent articles
    about all of these issues.

Stubbornness is a well known trait of bulldogs, some people can handle it, others
    can't. Be patient with your pup, Chapo, as he's still trying to understand what you
    expect of him, altho he sounds very smart! As you are doing, praise & reward when
    he does what you want, stay calm & kind and ignore unwanted behavior.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

13. Likes rjisaterp, ryecoon, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Under 'Forums' there is a special section on Puppies, lots of excellent articles
    about all of these issues.

Stubbornness is a well known trait of bulldogs, some people can handle it, others
    can't. Be patient with your pup, Chapo, as he's still trying to understand what you
    expect of him, altho he sounds very smart! As you are doing, praise & reward when
    he does what you want, stay calm & kind and ignore unwanted behavior.

15. Likes Texas Carol, ryecoon liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chapo
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    Depends on if you have a bed eater or not. Mine eats fiber filled beds but not pads so that is what she has in her crate. When we first brought our home we used a towel or pad that only covered half of the crate floor so if there was a mess it was easier to clean up. After she was house broken and could make it through the night we switched to a full size pad.
    fortunately he doesnt eat beds just pees in it. ill try the towel thanks

Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    China
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

If he doesn't eat pads, you are very lucky, stick to them, I won't recommend towels, as if he gets used that towel is a pee material, oh boy! Then later if he finds a towel on the floor or anywhere else, he will feel an urge to pee on it. My dog ate pads, so we couldn't put it everywhere, so we bought a plastic dog toilet, where you put those pads under a rack, so he couldn't eat them, and we were very consistent, put him just after sleep, after eating on the toilet and saying 'make a wee' 'make a poo'. With treats they understand quick that this is profitable to do it on the toilet. In one month he learnt peeing on his toilet, 1,5 took us to learn pooping outside.

18. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chapo
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaloopsie View Post
    If he doesn't eat pads, you are very lucky, stick to them, I won't recommend towels, as if he gets used that towel is a pee material, oh boy! Then later if he finds a towel on the floor or anywhere else, he will feel an urge to pee on it. My dog ate pads, so we couldn't put it everywhere, so we bought a plastic dog toilet, where you put those pads under a rack, so he couldn't eat them, and we were very consistent, put him just after sleep, after eating on the toilet and saying 'make a wee' 'make a poo'. With treats they understand quick that this is profitable to do it on the toilet. In one month he learnt peeing on his toilet, 1,5 took us to learn pooping outside.
    Awesome. yes ill stick to his bed and for pee ill stick to the pads since he has been peeing on the pads a majority of the time. A new basic thing Im trying to teach him is how to walk with me with a leash. Every time i try to walk him he just sits there and doesnt want to walk lol even when i tug the leash he does his own thing. Very stubborn lol

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chapo
    Likes (Received)

Sleeping in my room tonight. Looks like he found his comfortable position lol

21. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama, ddnene liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads