Day 2 - House Training

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
So my Pup Chapo is learning quick when it comes to commands. He still shows a bit of stubbornness because he looks at me when I call his name to come to me but he still proceeds to do what he wants even when i raise my voice a little bit lol. I use the treats for enforcements when he does a good deed. He pee pee'd on his mat twice automatically but he also goes on his bed. I have a playpen that i keep open for him to go inside freely but when i am out he close it. When i am home he wanders around and i keep a treats near his Pee Pads so i can reward him immediately after he goes. Any tips or advice would be appreciated ;)

f4fd086d7f270ca831db03f29cfd148f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
https://vimeo.com/181449474
His pen has room for a pad and a bed. Would it be a good idea to keep both inside? I know either way there will be a mess but for the long hall, will he eventually learn? I was told not to put pad in the same place they sleep.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Depends on if you have a bed eater or not. Mine eats fiber filled beds but not pads so that is what she has in her crate. When we first brought our home we used a towel or pad that only covered half of the crate floor so if there was a mess it was easier to clean up. After she was house broken and could make it through the night we switched to a full size pad.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/Todd... mine ate the pads, so I ended up not using them very often. Chap is so cute, he will get the potty training consistency is the key. You'd better get used to the stubbornness, many of us still see that behavior on a daily basis... :rofl:

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
We had to take away beds because he chewed and peed on them. We used old ripped sheets in the crate instead. We reintroduced the bed at a later time in life. He chewed up the pee pads so those were taken away also.

I recommend using a word command when he goes to the bathroom outdoors. We chose the polish word for poop since it's one we won't say accidentally. When he goes to the bathroom outside you say the word and eventually it is associated with the action. It's a great command to have in the arsenal for rainy days.

I would also practice the leave it command. I do it every time I give him a bowl of food. Maybe if you do it early enough he can learn drop it too but I've given up on that command for mine. It takes an incredibly high value treat for him to drop anything.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had to take away beds because he chewed and peed on them. We used old ripped sheets in the crate instead. We reintroduced the bed at a later time in life. He chewed up the pee pads so those were taken away also.

I recommend using a word command when he goes to the bathroom outdoors. We chose the polish word for poop since it's one we won't say accidentally. When he goes to the bathroom outside you say the word and eventually it is associated with the action. It's a great command to have in the arsenal for rainy days.

I would also practice the leave it command. I do it every time I give him a bowl of food. Maybe if you do it early enough he can learn drop it too but I've given up on that command for mine. It takes an incredibly high value treat for him to drop anything.

:goodpost:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Under 'Forums' there is a special section on Puppies, lots of excellent articles
about all of these issues.

Stubbornness is a well known trait of bulldogs, some people can handle it, others
can't. Be patient with your pup, Chapo, as he's still trying to understand what you
expect of him, altho he sounds very smart! As you are doing, praise & reward when
he does what you want, stay calm & kind and ignore unwanted behavior.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Under 'Forums' there is a special section on Puppies, lots of excellent articles
about all of these issues.

Stubbornness is a well known trait of bulldogs, some people can handle it, others
can't. Be patient with your pup, Chapo, as he's still trying to understand what you
expect of him, altho he sounds very smart! As you are doing, praise & reward when
he does what you want, stay calm & kind and ignore unwanted behavior.

:goodpost:

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
Depends on if you have a bed eater or not. Mine eats fiber filled beds but not pads so that is what she has in her crate. When we first brought our home we used a towel or pad that only covered half of the crate floor so if there was a mess it was easier to clean up. After she was house broken and could make it through the night we switched to a full size pad.

fortunately he doesnt eat beds just pees in it. ill try the towel :) thanks

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
If he doesn't eat pads, you are very lucky, stick to them, I won't recommend towels, as if he gets used that towel is a pee material, oh boy! Then later if he finds a towel on the floor or anywhere else, he will feel an urge to pee on it. My dog ate pads, so we couldn't put it everywhere, so we bought a plastic dog toilet, where you put those pads under a rack, so he couldn't eat them, and we were very consistent, put him just after sleep, after eating on the toilet and saying 'make a wee' 'make a poo'. With treats they understand quick that this is profitable to do it on the toilet. In one month he learnt peeing on his toilet, 1,5 took us to learn pooping outside.

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
If he doesn't eat pads, you are very lucky, stick to them, I won't recommend towels, as if he gets used that towel is a pee material, oh boy! Then later if he finds a towel on the floor or anywhere else, he will feel an urge to pee on it. My dog ate pads, so we couldn't put it everywhere, so we bought a plastic dog toilet, where you put those pads under a rack, so he couldn't eat them, and we were very consistent, put him just after sleep, after eating on the toilet and saying 'make a wee' 'make a poo'. With treats they understand quick that this is profitable to do it on the toilet. In one month he learnt peeing on his toilet, 1,5 took us to learn pooping outside.

Awesome. yes ill stick to his bed and for pee ill stick to the pads since he has been peeing on the pads a majority of the time. A new basic thing Im trying to teach him is how to walk with me with a leash. Every time i try to walk him he just sits there and doesnt want to walk lol even when i tug the leash he does his own thing. Very stubborn lol

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
Sleeping in my room tonight. Looks like he found his comfortable position lol
c3d07234ffe6b3b48120b0523c32727f.jpg

5d4a323606ab3ce4839f3bb22a46c09d.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sleeping in my room tonight. Looks like he found his comfortable position lol
c3d07234ffe6b3b48120b0523c32727f.jpg

5d4a323606ab3ce4839f3bb22a46c09d.jpg

So sweet :babysleep:

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online