what's good for dry skin

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
What is something i can give my dogs for their dry skin..?? I finally have them all on a food that works well for them and their allergies so i hate to chance food. My abbey can only have a limited amount of things so it was hard finding the right food for them all..

I don't know if it is just the season, its really hot and dry here now, but they seem to have dry skin .. what is something that will help?. coconut oil?.. i use to put that on them but they will lick it off of each other.. lol.. but if it helps i will try it again. does anyone have any suggestions? thanks.

delyrium

Jul 13, 2016
Portland, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joni
I use HyLyt dog shampoo for Joni. We have to bathe her pretty frequently due to allergies and this stuff keeps her skin from drying out. It has fatty acids in it to moisturizer. I order from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I like coconut oil. I do give Nyala salmon oil on and off as it gives her loose stools. She eats marrow bones, multivitamin and when I wash her I grease her all over with coconut oil. Then I have to clean her butt level on all my appliances n doors. I know where she's been sticking her butt. Lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=295]punky[/MENTION] My dogs had dry skin. I started putting a tbsp of Olive oil in their food. No more dry skin!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can put 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in their food every other day.... or as others have suggested... fish oil pills, salmon oil or olive oil

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
thanks for all the advice.. i think i will start with the coconut oil.. i thought about the salmon oil but don't know how my abbey will react because salmon is another food she is allergic to.. :( i will also try the hylyt shampoo.. its nothing really bad but i can tell its dry and their coats aren't as shinny as they use to be.. thanks again. i'm diffidently going to give it a try..

BulldogMum

Aug 4, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley & Seven
Hello. Wow I love your quote at the bottom. It actually gave me peace! My bully has some hair loss and I have noticed in the last week flakes - so I will try olive oil. She did this last winter and after $500 at the vet - nothing... No thyroid problems, no dry skin then though. So I will try olive oil and hope for the best. How long did it take to start working if you don't mind!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello. Wow I love your quote at the bottom. It actually gave me peace! My bully has some hair loss and I have noticed in the last week flakes - so I will try olive oil. She did this last winter and after $500 at the vet - nothing... No thyroid problems, no dry skin then though. So I will try olive oil and hope for the best. How long did it take to start working if you don't mind!

Hey there my Canuk friend. If you're on the Prarie side I get it. Even myself my skin so dry. In Italy they use EVO once a month on their hair. Leave it in and then yes wash it out. Why you dont see many Italians with thin hair. Same for Greece. I use a organic lavender essential oil soap for both puppies. Nyala looses more as I cant give her daily any oils as she gets loose stools. Has to be every other day. Salmon oil is great but that's the worst one for her. I give her cod liver oil and/or Coconut oil.

BulldogMum

Aug 4, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley & Seven
I am in Ontario. Thanks for the reply and advice!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Agree with all the above. What food finally worked for your dog? My dog seems to be doing really well so far on EasyRaw turkey and sweet potato that I got at Petsmart this past weekend in Ontario when they had their 40.00 off 100.00 purchase a couple weekends ago.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.