Am I feeding my puppy enough ?

gators4lyfe

Aug 13, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Abigail
My puppy is 15 weeks old and seems to always be hungry but I don't want to over feed her. When we brought her home 1/2 a cup of dry food mixed with a spoonful (or2) of canned food 3x a day. She has figured out where the food bucket is and is now always trying to get into it. Do you think this is enough food ???
4eb01ea42fd152d511105e93abb68f10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I think Abigail looks great. If you can see ribs(feeling them does not count) the she's a little light... Increase food. If you can no longer see a well-defined waist...decrease food. Forget about her seeming hungry. Ignore it or you'll soon be calling her Flabby-gail.
All Bulldogs that I've ever had dealings with would eat themselves sick morning noon and night.
Grain free please!!! Abbey deserves the best!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Here is a good guideline for feeding:

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

OP
gators4lyfe

gators4lyfe

Aug 13, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Abigail
I think Abigail looks great. If you can see ribs(feeling them does not count) the she's a little light... Increase food. If you can no longer see a well-defined waist...decrease food. Forget about her seeming hungry. Ignore it or you'll soon be calling her Flabby-gail.
All Bulldogs that I've ever had dealings with would eat themselves sick morning noon and night.
Grain free please!!! Abbey deserves the best!
Yea I just figured it was probably the chow hound in her. As for food she is definitely eating well , we haven't experienced any allergies yet, but definitely watching everything so if one or two or three pop up we can try and figure it out. Right now she is eating Zignature which is grain and potato free . DUCK FORMULA (DRY) | Zignature

OP
gators4lyfe

gators4lyfe

Aug 13, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Abigail
Here is a good guideline for feeding:

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

Thank you ... this helps

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Abigail is so beautiful and at 15 wk's and from her pic, I'd feed 3/4 cup x 3 daily
until 6 mo's then access her again. She looks great here but I think is a tad hungry
and right now, 1/4 cup each feeding won't make her too fat.

It's great you are aware of dangers of overfeeding but she's a baby still, we would
not put human babies on diets! Babies (human & furred) NEED all that food to nourish
themselves and grow strong bone & muscle, don't stint!

Most Reactions