joe5268

Aug 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Hi All,

It's been awhile. Our Daisy has been doing great with the exception of 3 ear infections this year. First one was in November/December and was probably our fault, a little water may have gotten in her ear at bath time. Second one was July 1. Vet did the same thing as last time and treated with a medicine that has to be left in the ear for a month. She responded well and the infection was cleared up a month later. Fast forward to last week, I noticed her ears were dirtier than normal. I cleaned them and check again a day or two later. Filthy again. Cleaned them again, now she is shaking her head and scratching. Made an appointment to see the vet and both ears are infected. He seems to think she has allergies. Treated the ears with the same leave in medicine, plus an oral antibiotic and a pain med (she cried when I tried to clean them last and she never cries :(). He also gave me an allergy pill and wants to change her food Royal Canine Vet Diet Hydrolyzed Protein (she currently eats Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost Chicken Formula and has been on this since she was a puppy, we did move to the adult formula mid to end July).

My question is, does it make sense to have her on an allergy medicine and switch the food at the same time? I would think try one then the other, he wants us to do both, with the allergy meds for a month and the food for 12 weeks, maybe for life. Does this seem right? Plus I'm not a fan of the ingredients in this food. Has anyone had these issues before? Should I follow the vets advice? So far I've just been giving the meds and have skipped the food, but it was only 2 meals. Thanks in advance.

IMG_7984.jpg

**REPOST FROM MEMBERS ONLY SECTION**

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Possible food allergies since a lot of EB's have chicken and grain allergies. I tried Royal Canin for bulldogs when i first got chunky and ended up donating it to the local animal shelter because it made Chunky sick.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi All,

It's been awhile. Our Daisy has been doing great with the exception of 3 ear infections this year. First one was in November/December and was probably our fault, a little water may have gotten in her ear at bath time. Second one was July 1. Vet did the same thing as last time and treated with a medicine that has to be left in the ear for a month. She responded well and the infection was cleared up a month later. Fast forward to last week, I noticed her ears were dirtier than normal. I cleaned them and check again a day or two later. Filthy again. Cleaned them again, now she is shaking her head and scratching. Made an appointment to see the vet and both ears are infected. He seems to think she has allergies. Treated the ears with the same leave in medicine, plus an oral antibiotic and a pain med (she cried when I tried to clean them last and she never cries :(). He also gave me an allergy pill and wants to change her food Royal Canine Vet Diet Hydrolyzed Protein (she currently eats Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost Chicken Formula and has been on this since she was a puppy, we did move to the adult formula mid to end July).

My question is, does it make sense to have her on an allergy medicine and switch the food at the same time? I would think try one then the other, he wants us to do both, with the allergy meds for a month and the food for 12 weeks, maybe for life. Does this seem right? Plus I'm not a fan of the ingredients in this food. Has anyone had these issues before? Should I follow the vets advice? So far I've just been giving the meds and have skipped the food, but it was only 2 meals. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 100865

**REPOST FROM MEMBERS ONLY SECTION**

I just poste to your other thread....

Do not switch her food.... you are right, RC is crap and only good for a short fix till you can stablize an issue. this is probably all seasonal related. I have the same issue with Lambeau - it is all environmental.

What I use is a spray bottle with half witch hazel and half apple cider vinegar. it keeps the ear clean and dry. i also give him one Claritin a day to help keep them at bay

OP
J

joe5268

Aug 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
So I'm definitely going to change her food, any ideas of something that might work? I know a lot of people here like Fromm. Also, should I change the food and keep her on the allergy meds at the same time?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
...RC is crap...
I question any Vet's knowledge of Bulldogs and respective allergies when prescribing food like this.

Top 3 Royal Canin Veterinary Diet® Canine Hydrolyzed Protein Adult HP ingredients...
1. Brewers rice
2. Hydrolyzed soy protein
3. Chicken fat

Hydrolyzed Soy Protein=

"The extraction process of hydrolysis involves boiling in a vat of acid (e.g., sulfuric acid) and then neutralizing the solution with a caustic soda. The resultant sludge is scraped off the top and allowed to dry. In addition to soy protein it contains free-form excitotoxic amino acids (e.g., MSG) and other potentially harmful chemicals including cancer-causing chemicals in many cases. A newer method of hydrolysis involves the use of bacteria by itself or in addition to the chemical processes described above. There is a possibility that genetically-manipulated bacteria may be used.

The food industry sometimes uses large amount of hydrolyzed proteins as a "taste enhancer" because it contains significant amounts of MSG (monosodium glutamate). This is what is known in the food industry as "Clean Labels" -- adding MSG to food, without having to list it as "MSG" on the label.

In almost all cases, hydrolyzed soy protein contains a significant amount of genetically-manipulated soy. The hydrolyzed protein products currently added to foods should be considered a detriment to one's health. There are much healthier sources of soy protein and soy nutrients.

Recommended Reading: Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills by Neuroscientist Russell Blaylock, M.D."*

*taken from Soy Info Online

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
...any ideas of something that might work? I know a lot of people here like Fromm. Also, should I change the food and keep her on the allergy meds at the same time?
I'd be inclined to keep him on the allergy meds along with a food change to a proper food. Once the best food is found you can taper off the meds. You may have to try several foods before you get one that works well. We've discovered that once a correct food is found the itching/scratching/eyes watering/etc. vanish in short order...a few days. So I recommend that you buy small quantities of food(2-3 weeks worth) and test them until you get one that works. If one worsens his condition, stop it right away and move on to something else.
Most dogs that come through our rescue leave in good shape on NOW Senior
Primary Ingredients(De-boned turkey, potatoes, peas, whole dried egg, tapioca, potato flour, natural flavour, pea fibre, flaxseed, apples, de-boned salmon, de-boned duck, sweet potatoes)

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Try to stick to a grain free food but also switch ingredients. My girl was on grain free chicken and was doing ok but had watery eyes that caused some tear staining. I switched her to the Lamb version and everything cleared right up! I agree though if it is environmental related it gets harder to treat. I have a pitbull with environmental allergies and they showed up when she turned one (very common). Keeping the yeast at bay is tedius but you get a routine. Start with the food first though and the meds and go from there!

OP
J

joe5268

Aug 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
So I switched to NVI Limited Ingredient Lamb and seem to have luck so far. She hasn't had any eye boogers recently either. Maybe she is allergic to chicken. We will see.

- - - Updated - - -

Try to stick to a grain free food but also switch ingredients. My girl was on grain free chicken and was doing ok but had watery eyes that caused some tear staining. I switched her to the Lamb version and everything cleared right up! I agree though if it is environmental related it gets harder to treat. I have a pitbull with environmental allergies and they showed up when she turned one (very common). Keeping the yeast at bay is tedius but you get a routine. Start with the food first though and the meds and go from there!

Thanks!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online