Merle colour

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So, im in search of maybe getting Nyala a buddy. Yes I know I said "one is enough or Never had a dog on the couch" pfffffftttt

Anyway, do any of you (s) have, had, knows anything on Merle colour EB? So some says leads to deafness, blind etc. Is that true?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
merle is not part of the standard colors, so it could mean mix breeding which might be why you hear of the additional health issues. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] might have more input

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Merle is associated with deafness and eye disease. Other breeds have found that dilutes (lilacs, lavenders, blues) may be associated with:
Autoimmune issues, skin issues, & food allergies.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Merle is not a colour of a bulldog and most, if not all, breeders breeding merle's are doing it for the money, not for the benefit of the breed.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad you asked and are doing your research. I agree with the above posters stay away from exotic colors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Merle is not a colour of a bulldog and most, if not all, breeders breeding merle's are doing it for the money, not for the benefit of the breed.

Didnt buy any dog yet just reading n doing some research. According to Wikipedia, if you mix 2 merles together they tend to have blindness and deafness. Seems its in the gene ...DNA. Very interesting reading. Learn every day. :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
merle is not part of the standard colors, so it could mean mix breeding which might be why you hear of the additional health issues. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] might have more input
I think there's no question that it means mix-breeding and is an undeniable indication of irresponsible breeding..."doing it for the money" with little or no concern for health.
Although they sure look cool, I'd avoid...simply because I do not want to contribute to, IMO, an expanding problem.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.