Quit drinking water

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I noticed a month ago that Porkchop is no longer drinking from his water bowl. I used to change out the water 2-3 times a day because of saliva. He was put on an elimination diet (ruling out allergies) where about 6 oz of water is added to his homemade meal, twice daily. Hardly enough water. I have been giving him the chicken broth leftover from boiling his chicken. I have tried bottled water, a different bowl, adding a bit of sugar. He still won't drink. In this heatwave, it strikes me odd. His vet is concerned though as there is no obvious medical reason. He goes out maybe 3 times a day to piddle. It is more concentrated than before but that would be expected with decreased drinking, right?

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I add something else to his water bowl to get him drinking again? Any medical condition that might be indicated?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Have you tried ice cubes? I used to do water and chicken broth ice cubes until I realized he was allergic to chicken. You could also do ice cubes with frozen meat.

Mine has no issues with drinking but loves ice cubes.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have seen that people on here who are doing home cooking for their dogs say that they drink less. Not drinking at all is odd. Can he bend his neck to drink-back problem? Has he had blood work-kidney problems? If he has not had blood work-I would have that done-check for Kidney function. Check his gums-if they are sticky,it's a sign of dehydration. Pinch an area of skin,like below his head,if it doesn't spring back easily,he is dehydrated. Try adding canned chicken broth(low sodium) to some water in his bowl,and see if he will drink. Elevate his bowl-if he has a back problem,he may not want to bend his neck down. [MENTION=5840]paw7004[/MENTION]

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Good that you have talked to a vet - I don't know about the medical implications - but from our experience, I would say that 12 oz of water per day isn't too bad. Castor is now eating a raw diet (basically consisting of meat) and he hardly ever drinks any water. When he was on dry kibble, he would drink 2-3 times per day but not as much as 12 oz (which I believe equals 3.5 dl) per day. In periods we soaked the kibble and then he would drink very little.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Oh, I never thought of back problems. He developed bone spurs in the last couple of years. One at the neck, a significant one in the middle and one at the tail end. Vet said it was because he was such a bouncy boy, leaping down stairs, doing helicopter spins when happy. He doesn't do that anymore. He doesn't appear to be dehydrated, which is good.

I'll try some ice cubes and elevate the bowls. It's worth trying. I'm so used to him being a water hog. And our days this summer have been around 100 degrees. With all of his panting, even though he stays indoors in the AC much of the time, I would think that he would be thirsty more often.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Our weather has been the same all summer. dogs can only go out for potty,then come in. I hope that perhaps elevating his bowl will help.Or broth.....

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I noticed a month ago that Porkchop is no longer drinking from his water bowl. I used to change out the water 2-3 times a day because of saliva. He was put on an elimination diet (ruling out allergies) where about 6 oz of water is added to his homemade meal, twice daily. Hardly enough water. I have been giving him the chicken broth leftover from boiling his chicken. I have tried bottled water, a different bowl, adding a bit of sugar. He still won't drink. In this heatwave, it strikes me odd. His vet is concerned though as there is no obvious medical reason. He goes out maybe 3 times a day to piddle. It is more concentrated than before but that would be expected with decreased drinking, right?

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I add something else to his water bowl to get him drinking again? Any medical condition that might be indicated?

Nyala stopped drinking since she's been on home cooking. Does not drink an ounce of water. Home cooking is full of water I boil her turkey and keep the broth which I top each meal. So dont panic as Nyala would of dropped dead long time ago. 8 months on home cooking and energy like the energizer bunny. Only time she drinks is when her pitbull cousins come over snd she plays 4 hrs non stop, drags her tongue to the grown which I have time give her time out as she wont stop. She even drains the cousins. Lol so it's all normal if porkchop home fed :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh, I never thought of back problems. He developed bone spurs in the last couple of years. One at the neck, a significant one in the middle and one at the tail end. Vet said it was because he was such a bouncy boy, leaping down stairs, doing helicopter spins when happy. He doesn't do that anymore. He doesn't appear to be dehydrated, which is good.

I'll try some ice cubes and elevate the bowls. It's worth trying. I'm so used to him being a water hog. And our days this summer have been around 100 degrees. With all of his panting, even though he stays indoors in the AC much of the time, I would think that he would be thirsty more often.

i was thinking pain related too... so let us know how it goes with the elevated bowls. My guys really do not drink a lot either really only go to the bowl after a good round of play or during meal

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.