Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to plan for vet bills? Insurance/wellness plans?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Walt
    Likes (Received)

Default What's the best way to plan for vet bills? Insurance/wellness plans?

Hi everyone

So my 8 month old has gone to the vet once for dermititis and may need to go again soon. I'm wondering if insurance is a good option, id like to know pros and cons or anything i should keep in mind.

Do i get an insurance plan, and a wellness plan from the vet too? Or are those expenses included in the insurance plan?

Id appreciate any advice. Also the cheapest insurance at 90% i could find was $50 per month.

Thanks bullymamas and daddys

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What's the best way to plan for vet bills? Insurance/wellness plans?

Insurance is only good if you get it right when you bring your pup home and before you have any issues that would require a vet visit as the vast majority have a 14 to 30 waiting period before the policy fully kicks in. Also, being that any issues that your pup is seen for prior to whichever insurance was chosen kicks in would be considered a pre-existing condition and most likely not covered in the future. Outside of that a separate savings account, credit card or Care Credit are some other options.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

4. Likes ddnene liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What's the best way to plan for vet bills? Insurance/wellness plans?

Todd is correct, unless you get insurance from the get-go you will have issues. I had an horrible experience w/Trupanion... they pre-approved us for surgery, and then after more digging they decided it was pre-existing condition and refused payment. EVEN after my vet wrote them a letter explaining the situation. Needless to say I canceled w/them, and now we have funds set aside for our dogs. I have never used a wellness plan from the vets, but that may be something to look into.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

6. Likes Marine91 liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Walt
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Todd is correct, unless you get insurance from the get-go you will have issues. I had an horrible experience w/Trupanion... they pre-approved us for surgery, and then after more digging they decided it was pre-existing condition and refused payment. EVEN after my vet wrote them a letter explaining the situation. Needless to say I canceled w/them, and now we have funds set aside for our dogs. I have never used a wellness plan from the vets, but that may be something to look into.
    Thank you! Sorry that happened to you. How would they know if it was pre-existing necessarily? We've been to two different vets and it's not like my dog has an SSN! He's not even licensed yet which isnt good...

My husband said maybe we should just put $50 in a savings for him per month instead of sending that to insuranse. Just not sure if the bills would exceed that. I suppose if he needed surgery or got cancer or something then it could get pretty costly...

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WaltsMom View Post
    Thank you! Sorry that happened to you. How would they know if it was pre-existing necessarily? We've been to two different vets and it's not like my dog has an SSN! He's not even licensed yet which isnt good...

My husband said maybe we should just put $50 in a savings for him per month instead of sending that to insuranse. Just not sure if the bills would exceed that. I suppose if he needed surgery or got cancer or something then it could get pretty costly...
    Technically when you sign up for insurance you are supposed to list any and all vets your pup has been to so they can check the records when you file a claim. If you don't list any they probably wouldn't find out but things like that are what make it expensive for everyone as rates a calculated based upon procedures and claims paid in your area. And yes some procedures for these guys can get very expensive as an ACL repair can range in cost from $1500 to $4000 depending on the vet.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, we had our guys on the Puppy Wellness Program for the first year, which covered their first vaccinations, puppy exams, stool samples, flea and heartworm exam and mess, three visits and an emergency visit if needed, as well as their spay and neuter surgeries. It was well worth it, but after they were older, we just put money aside in a savings each month for emergency vet costs. For their yearly exams and vaccinations and checkups, my vet has a plan where we we pay an initial $30 and then $25 a month for 10 months. This covers their booster vaccinations, tool samples, heart worm testing, three vet visits, an emergency visit, and one home visit by the vet if they are too sick to bring to the office. It doesn't include medications or surgeries if they need, but it does help to spread out the payments monthly rather than having to pay out the $325 all at once.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WaltsMom View Post

They actually dug into his medical files from the vet's office, and the vet had mentioned that he could possibly have eye issues and we needed to watch it. They determined that the statement alone confirmed that he had entropion prior to getting insurance and decided to NOT pay for the surgery that they had previously pre-approved. To make matters worse Winston didn't survive the surgery, so ultimately I had to pay for a surgery that killed my dog. Needless to say, I would go w/the saving's account... If GOD forbid your dog had a massive bill, like most insurances they would cap at some point.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We have always just had a credit card that is used for the dogs only.... paying insurance just is not my way to go. it is so subjective to what they will cover and it would send me over the roof if they declined me so, I just do the card.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

12. Likes MissWaddles13 liked this post
    The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

We don't have insurance on our girls. We have some money put in the bank for emergencies to cover auto repairs, life altering issues and.....of course......bully issues. I had to take Amber to the vet about 6 weeks ago and paid almost $400 for her to crap all over the doctors office. Yes, I said crap.........I got up and it seems she looked swollen so I got worried about an obstruction. She had been up during the night throwing up so when I seen her swollen I freaked out and we went to the doctor. Well, Amber isn't real tolerant of anyone messing with her paws, she never has been thanks to me hitting the quick a couple of times while she was a puppy. The doctor agreed she looked swollen so they took her back to get x-rays; I heard this god awful squealing then I heard the doctor say, "I have never seen anything like that." A few minutes went by and the doctor came back in with Amber in the lead; his arm was bandaged (OMG, She torn him up), his lab coat was covered in crap, the x-ray room was covered in crap, and Amber.......well, she was slimmed down a whole lot.......it seems they scared her so bad when they grabbed her paws in order to do the x-rays, they quite literally scared the crap right out of her. They did give her an antibiotic to take for a few days just in case and said it looked like she had eaten something but they could tell what it was because it was everywhere. So, the vet bill was $400 dollars........Amber crapping all over the vet......was priceless!!!! My point.......put the money in the bank and use it when you need it. Good luck.
    Last edited by dalmatina38; 08-26-2016 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling

14. Likes 2BullyMama, Cali Doll liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatina38 View Post
    We don't have insurance on our girls. We have some money put in the bank for emergencies to cover auto repairs, life altering issues and.....of course......bully issues. I had to take Amber to the vet about 6 weeks ago and paid almost $400 for her to crap all over the doctors office. Yes, I said crap.........I got up and it seems she looked swollen so I got worried about an obstruction. She had been up during the night throwing up so when I seen her swollen I freaked out and we went to the doctor. Well, Amber isn't real tolerant of anyone messing with her paws, she never has been thanks to me hitting the quick a couple of times while she was a puppy. The doctor agreed she looked swollen so they took her back to get x-rays; I heard this god awful squealing then I heard the doctor say, "I have never seen anything like that." A few minutes went by and the doctor came back in with Amber in the lead; his arm was bandaged (OMG, She torn him up), his lab coat was covered in crap, the x-ray room was covered in crap, and Amber.......well, she was slimmed down a whole lot.......it seems they scared her so bad when they grabbed her paws in order to do the x-rays, they quite literally scared the crap right out of her. They did give her an antibiotic to take for a few days just in case and said it looked like she had eaten something but they could tell what it was because it was everywhere. So, the vet bill was $400 dollars........Amber crapping all over the vet......was priceless!!!! My point.......put the money in the bank and use it when you need it. Good luck.
    Oh dear!! Really had a laugh at that!
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

We had insurance on our Dachshund but cancelled it after the rates kept going up and I only ever got a small amount back (after deductables etc.) the one time I did use it. I looked at it as 4 years worth of premiums down the drain. We now put money aside every month into our pets own saving account for emergencies or unusual bills only. Shots, regular maintenance etc. we just pay for.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

Bulldog Vet in Training Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatina38 View Post
    That is HILARIOUS!!!!! Poor baby! I bet she felt so much better afterwards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

Mommy of Lockjaw and Penny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads