What's the best way to plan for vet bills? Insurance/wellness plans?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hello Everyone,

I realize this is an old post but I'm curious... For all the people who said they don't use pet insurance, would you use it if you had enrolled your puppy right away?

Burt will be coming home April 13th, just a couple more weeks! Would it be worth it to have him enrolled or would you have opted to pay into a savings account for the puppy?

Healthy Paws says they will cover everything except pre existing conditions, check ups, and preventative like dental, nails, spay/neuter. Looks like it would cost me a little more than $700 per year for 80% reimbursement and $250 deductible. With EBDs being susceptible to a billion issues does this make sense or am I wasting money?

How much have you guys spent on vet bills, other than check ups and preventative, the first year? Year to date?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Luke

Forgot to add in last post, ours also only pays 80% but I believe there is one through Trupanion that pays 100%. Just in case you want to research & compare.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hello Everyone,

I realize this is an old post but I'm curious... For all the people who said they don't use pet insurance, would you use it if you had enrolled your puppy right away?

Burt will be coming home April 13th, just a couple more weeks! Would it be worth it to have him enrolled or would you have opted to pay into a savings account for the puppy?

Healthy Paws says they will cover everything except pre existing conditions, check ups, and preventative like dental, nails, spay/neuter. Looks like it would cost me a little more than $700 per year for 80% reimbursement and $250 deductible. With EBDs being susceptible to a billion issues does this make sense or am I wasting money?

How much have you guys spent on vet bills, other than check ups and preventative, the first year? Year to date?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Luke

I have VPI as well for my Frenchie and I got it right away. They don't cover pre-existing conditions either but I can't imagine any of the companies would. So I suggest if you are going to do insurance, to do it right away before anything comes up. My guy has allergies and the intradermal allergy skin test was covered as are the allergy shots and Apoquel. It also covered conjunctivitis when he had it. And for me, I like having it just in case anything major comes up. My EB puppy comes home at the end of April and I plan on getting him insurance as well.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
We have Embrace pet insurance. Haven't had to use it yet. It costs $59/month. I got it the same day we brought Daphne home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have Trupanion and it has paid out way more than we have paid in premiums and has been worth every penny for us.. No matter what insurance everyone has the experience will vary person to person with some good and others having bad experiences within the same company.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

bulldogsoccer

Mar 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Patrick
I've been going back and forth on this question too. Elsie comes home on Friday. My previous EB had Trupanion for 3yrs and we never needed to use it. What I didn't like was the premium went up ~50% in the 3yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cecil

Mar 1, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Burt
Well I decided to go with Nationwide. I got the full coverage with wellness package. Hopefully its not necessary but if I'm going to use it I need to do it now. This way I can I can try it out and if I don't like it I can cancel. I figured "screw it!" it's only the cost of a couple nights out for a boatload of security and peace of mind.

Thanks for all the advice! You guys are great here!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.