Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the best way to plan for vet bills? Insurance/wellness plans?

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What's the best way to plan for vet bills? Insurance/wellness plans?

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatina38 View Post
    We don't have insurance on our girls. We have some money put in the bank for emergencies to cover auto repairs, life altering issues and.....of course......bully issues. I had to take Amber to the vet about 6 weeks ago and paid almost $400 for her to crap all over the doctors office. Yes, I said crap.........I got up and it seems she looked swollen so I got worried about an obstruction. She had been up during the night throwing up so when I seen her swollen I freaked out and we went to the doctor. Well, Amber isn't real tolerant of anyone messing with her paws, she never has been thanks to me hitting the quick a couple of times while she was a puppy. The doctor agreed she looked swollen so they took her back to get x-rays; I heard this god awful squealing then I heard the doctor say, "I have never seen anything like that." A few minutes went by and the doctor came back in with Amber in the lead; his arm was bandaged (OMG, She torn him up), his lab coat was covered in crap, the x-ray room was covered in crap, and Amber.......well, she was slimmed down a whole lot.......it seems they scared her so bad when they grabbed her paws in order to do the x-rays, they quite literally scared the crap right out of her. They did give her an antibiotic to take for a few days just in case and said it looked like she had eaten something but they could tell what it was because it was everywhere. So, the vet bill was $400 dollars........Amber crapping all over the vet......was priceless!!!! My point.......put the money in the bank and use it when you need it. Good luck.

WOW!
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

Newbie Become a 4 Paw Member Cecil's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Burt
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What's the best way to plan for vet bills? Insurance/wellness plans?

Hello Everyone,

I realize this is an old post but I'm curious... For all the people who said they don't use pet insurance, would you use it if you had enrolled your puppy right away?

Burt will be coming home April 13th, just a couple more weeks! Would it be worth it to have him enrolled or would you have opted to pay into a savings account for the puppy?

Healthy Paws says they will cover everything except pre existing conditions, check ups, and preventative like dental, nails, spay/neuter. Looks like it would cost me a little more than $700 per year for 80% reimbursement and $250 deductible. With EBDs being susceptible to a billion issues does this make sense or am I wasting money?

How much have you guys spent on vet bills, other than check ups and preventative, the first year? Year to date?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Luke

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I realize this is an old post but I'm curious... For all the people who said they don't use pet insurance, would you use it if you had enrolled your puppy right away?

Burt will be coming home April 13th, just a couple more weeks! Would it be worth it to have him enrolled or would you have opted to pay into a savings account for the puppy?

Healthy Paws says they will cover everything except pre existing conditions, check ups, and preventative like dental, nails, spay/neuter. Looks like it would cost me a little more than $700 per year for 80% reimbursement and $250 deductible. With EBDs being susceptible to a billion issues does this make sense or am I wasting money?

How much have you guys spent on vet bills, other than check ups and preventative, the first year? Year to date?

Thanks,
    Luke
    Hey Luke, we have insurance on Tyson through VPI (Nationwide) I can't tell you how much its paid out for our emergencies and bigger issues with him. Way more than we've paid in thats for sure. We didn't get the basic coverage one, because I can handle regular check ups, vaccinations, etc. We got the major medical & emergency one. It's been so worth it for us personally. Only downside... (if you call it a downside) is that you still have to pay up front for all services with pet insurance. It works on a reimbursement like pay out. So we got a credit card specifically for Tyson to charge on initially. Then we file, get our reimbursement and pay the card off.

You can op to get the insurance or start a savings account yourself on the side for any "surprise" medical expenses.

Hope that helps!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

4. Likes Cecil, oscarmayer, Daphne DuMaurier liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
    Luke
    Forgot to add in last post, ours also only pays 80% but I believe there is one through Trupanion that pays 100%. Just in case you want to research & compare.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

6. Likes Daphne DuMaurier liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
    Luke
    I have VPI as well for my Frenchie and I got it right away. They don't cover pre-existing conditions either but I can't imagine any of the companies would. So I suggest if you are going to do insurance, to do it right away before anything comes up. My guy has allergies and the intradermal allergy skin test was covered as are the allergy shots and Apoquel. It also covered conjunctivitis when he had it. And for me, I like having it just in case anything major comes up. My EB puppy comes home at the end of April and I plan on getting him insurance as well.

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Daphne DuMaurier's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daphne
    Likes (Received)

We have Embrace pet insurance. Haven't had to use it yet. It costs $59/month. I got it the same day we brought Daphne home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We have Trupanion and it has paid out way more than we have paid in premiums and has been worth every penny for us.. No matter what insurance everyone has the experience will vary person to person with some good and others having bad experiences within the same company.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

10. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Patrick
    Likes (Received)

I've been going back and forth on this question too. Elsie comes home on Friday. My previous EB had Trupanion for 3yrs and we never needed to use it. What I didn't like was the premium went up ~50% in the 3yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Newbie Become a 4 Paw Member Cecil's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Burt
    Likes (Received)

Well I decided to go with Nationwide. I got the full coverage with wellness package. Hopefully its not necessary but if I'm going to use it I need to do it now. This way I can I can try it out and if I don't like it I can cancel. I figured "screw it!" it's only the cost of a couple nights out for a boatload of security and peace of mind.

Thanks for all the advice! You guys are great here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads