Worried about getting my new addition

Nicoleler2385

Aug 20, 2016
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Looking for some encouraging words. I've been driving myself crazy reading articles and websites and forums on English Bulldogs. I've been a Labrador owner and a dauschund owner before. Next month my boyfriend and I pick up our pretty little girl whom we found through a breeder here in South texas. I guess with all the stories of terrible health issues, which I didn't realize all of them until doing more research, I'm now scared to get one. Money isn't the issue. We are wanting an amazing addition to our family and we both love the breed. We just want to have a happy and healthy puppy whom his kids can grow up with. Any words of advice or suggestions to help ease my mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You came to the right gang.... we are nuts about the breed even with the potential issues that can arise. The biggest thing you can do to possibly prevent some of the issues is feed a very high quality grain free food. Allergies usually the culprit behind most of the issues, but some are just part of being a dog like hip dysplasia which is very common in many breeds. Bulldogs have the breathing issues, but as a puppy if you notice tight nares, have them widened during spay and that could lessen the impact to the palate as she gets older.

As with anything in life... you may have some issues, a lot of issue or none at all.

OP
Nicoleler2385

Nicoleler2385

Aug 20, 2016
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
So true and thank you! I've heard it's also risky with the anesthesia tho because of their breathing issues? We are praying for a very healthy baby with minimal problems. But this site is awesome. Definitely trying to be "ahead of the game" should anything arise. Seems like this site/forum will be a great support group!!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So true and thank you! I've heard it's also risky with the anesthesia tho because of their breathing issues? We are praying for a very healthy baby with minimal problems. But this site is awesome. Definitely trying to be "ahead of the game" should anything arise. Seems like this site/forum will be a great support group!!!

OH MY cuteness... is that your new baby in the avatar picture?

OP
Nicoleler2385

Nicoleler2385

Aug 20, 2016
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yes when she was born. This is her now
795be19e1998cb28b1a4a5252a9c232d.jpg
9fbc1df45e90f519258c82607c1c6a1b.jpg
18cd962e418e568d5028372daaa95aab.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OP
Nicoleler2385

Nicoleler2385

Aug 20, 2016
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
We are having a hard time. We've mutually decided on either. Nala, bella, honey, zana
..I like Abby and Lola or layla. Waiting to see her personaility. Getting to see her for the first time in 2 weeks tonight.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We are having a hard time. We've mutually decided on either. Nala, bella, honey, zana
..I like Abby and Lola or layla. Waiting to see her personaility. Getting to see her for the first time in 2 weeks tonight.

PUPPY BREAT!!! :wiggle: :wiggle:

OP
Nicoleler2385

Nicoleler2385

Aug 20, 2016
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Almost The best part of it all!!!!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I think it is absolutely normal to be nervous about a new addition to the family! Bulldogs are definitely a special breed and the best thing you can do is just to be aware of the potential health issues.
Understand that they get overheated easily and can have breathing issues, which, depending on how severe, you may want to opt to help correct with soft palate surgery and nare widening.
Understand that they, like most purebred dogs, tend to have allergy issues and do best on high quality food like Christine mentioned above. You may need to experiment with a few different food brands to find the best one for your girl! Sometimes it is just trial and error. And some common health problems can be alleviated by keeping your bulldog trim and healthy!
Understand that some vets look at bulldogs and just see a new vacation and will charge you for unnecessary procedures. Try to find a bulldog experienced vet that you trust and never hesitate to ask any questions with your vet or here!
And last of all, understand that your bulldog will bring so much joy and happiness to your family and they thrive under a loving family and that is one of the best things in the world!

Congratulations! I can't wait to see more pictures when your little bulldog comes home! :D :heart: :heart:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ok, take a deep breath. You have put a foot in the right direction by researching and coming to the best place for bullies, EBN! Knowledge is the best weapon for warding off problems with this breed. A high quality food is the best place to start. you can research which brand/type will suit you best on our food and nutirition section on the home page. Also, feeding three times a day approx 1/2 cup at a time will make for a healthy pup. If you notice soft stools, you can cut it back a bit until it firms up. Bulldogs are very sensitive to heat and cold. They cannot regulate either one so anything over 70-75 degrees should warrant potty only and right back inside to air conditioning. Also, if you are cold outside so is your baby and a coat or sweater can be worn or same drill of potty and inside to warm up. Be very careful of water, as our babies cannot swim. They are head heavy and will sink fast. If you have a pool or pond, please use caution and never leave your baby unattended. These are just a few off the top of my head, I think if you use the search bar with key word of any questions you have you will find most of us have been through it at one time or another. Also, if you start a thread with any questions/concerns, someone is always around to help you. Lastley, I will say welcome to EBN, we are glad to have you aboard. Pictures are required on a very regular basis, or you will be punished! lol, just kidding.....but really puppy pics are a necessity to our well being!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Congrats on your pup, she is adorable. As long as you get a good bloodline from a show breeder, you chances of having an unhealthy pup goes way down. Usually the problems come from people who just breed to anything and pass down the undesirable traits

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Almost five years ago, I was in your shoes, about to bring Arnold home and posting on this very site. LOL, Now I have 3 bullies, 2 English and a Frenchie. I have learned a lot from this group. IN fact, I usually walk into the vet's, only with Bertha btw, and tell them how I want the treatment to go. Arnold and Petey are very healthy. Bertha is a weird problem magnet, some not associated with the breed at all. I think your biggest concern is how will I only have one bullie, lol

:welcome: She is a beauty!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome to EBN! You've joined a very breed knowledgeable site & wonderful, caring members
that truly care about helping you & your bully be happy & healthy. An easy site to navigate &
lots of great articles to guide you, and plenty of bully puppy education. Any intelligent person
would naturally begin to worry about health issues once researching this breed, so much back
yard breeding has truly caused horrors & heartbreak. However, I've been amazed at how many
bulldogs that have been issue free during their lifetimes & the numbers of 10-13 year old bullies.

Your baby is so adorable, can't wait to see more pics of her growing up! Can't wait to read about
your visit tonight either :) Again, welcome here and don't be shy...we're certainly not, lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online