My Bully Needs Shoes

rigglet

Jul 8, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston
Truman (10 months old) has been packing on the pounds even though he's been on diet food for over a month. He's now up to 68 pounds which is too heavy. Complete honest disclosure...I've been a bit lazy on his exercise. So this weekend we decided to start walking. Short walks to start and then we planned to gradually increase them as his stamina increases. But that was stopped short after just two walks. As with a lot of bully's Turman drags his feet a bit. Well he drug them so much that he cause the center digit to bleed and he also ground down the nail to the quick...which of course bleeds like a stuck pig.

So I'm not thinking I'll need to get him some shoes so he can get the exercise he needs. Anyone have any suggestions? I've looked around the internet, but there are so many to choose from and its only the best for my little buddy.

Thanks in advance.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Can you post a picture of Truman? How overweight do you think he is? My Ruckus weighs in around 65 full grown and he was probably more like 68 at 12 months but lost some baby fat after.

I walk my dogs on the pavement and their nails stay short but don't normally bleed. Maybe Truman needs to work up to the exercise and he isn't ready for so much which is why he's dragging his feet.

You could try taking him to a field or dog park to run around. My younger bulldog Regina doesn't like walks but she'll chase a tennis ball or hours.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Agreed that maybe he isn't up for long walks. You could try short potty jaunts instead of letting him go in the yard. Watch out for hot cement or asphalt as that can hurt paws.

I have not successfully gotten these on yet but mine has pawz boots. They are supposed to give the dog good tactile feel.

OP
R

rigglet

Jul 8, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston
Here's a couple of pictures of my Truman. He doesn't look very happy in the first one because he had just got his feet wrapped by my daughter who is an RVT...lucky me :). But it is one of the best ones I have to show his overall shape. I included the second one because it is my favorite and it proves he is happy and I don't torture him. hehe. Truman01.jpgTruman02.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed that maybe he isn't up for long walks. You could try short potty jaunts instead of letting him go in the yard. Watch out for hot cement or asphalt as that can hurt paws.

I have not successfully gotten these on yet but mine has pawz boots. They are supposed to give the dog good tactile feel.

What a great looking boy! very happy indeed.

I have the same issue with Lambeau, we can not walk him, as his nails bleed every time --- we play fetch and chase in the yard to get some exercise in. also, you can cut back his kibble and use green beans as a filler - I had to do this with my girl when she needed to lose 10 lbs. 1/2 kibble and a 1/2 cup of green beans = 1 cup of food per meal. she lost the weight in no time and I was able to maintain her at around 60 lbs for the rest of her life.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
1. He is quite a handsome boy.

2. He is overweight

3. He's not obese yet but if his food intake isn't better managed he soon will be regardless of excercize.

4. Exercize him on a more forgiving surface.

5. In the first pic it's clear to see his rear nails touching the floor. They are too long and need to be dremeled back a tiny bit every 10 days or so so that the quicks will withdraw.

6. Some shoes work, some don't. Duct tape helps keep them on but be careful not to get it too tight cutting circulation. Also make sure he's always monitored when shoes are on so as not to get them off and chew/eat them.

7. He is quite a handsome boy!!!

Jhedir6

Aug 15, 2016
Dunnvile Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thysyn
Here's a couple of pictures of my Truman. He doesn't look very happy in the first one because he had just got his feet wrapped by my daughter who is an RVT...lucky me :). But it is one of the best ones I have to show his overall shape. I included the second one because it is my favorite and it proves he is happy and I don't torture him. hehe.View attachment 100672View attachment 100673

Ok first off, I have nothing of value to add to this thread.....other than to say, my god, he's the best looking EBD I've ever seen. I love him. I'm partial to brindles and he's got the perfect colouring imo. Hope you get his feet issues solved, and yes, he looks like he needs to shed a few pounds. And in the first shot, I dont thinks he's so much mad as he is dismayed.....thinking "seriously? why did you do this to me? what did I do?"

Good luck

David

OP
R

rigglet

Jul 8, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston
Thanks everyone for the wonderful feedback. I agree wholeheartedly that he needs to drop a few pounds. As I said in my original post he is on diet food, but perhaps I'll cut him back a bit and add green beans as filler. His doc has him on 1.5 cups at each meal. From my reading here that seems to be a bit much, even for diet food. So I'll cut him back to a cup of kibble and a half cup of green beans. Should make him feel as full as he does today, but will definitely cut his calories back. If that doesn't do it I can always reduce his kibble more as well.

I'll also check into those shoes. He loves to go on walks so I hate to deprive him of them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone for the wonderful feedback. I agree wholeheartedly that he needs to drop a few pounds. As I said in my original post he is on diet food, but perhaps I'll cut him back a bit and add green beans as filler. His doc has him on 1.5 cups at each meal. From my reading here that seems to be a bit much, even for diet food. So I'll cut him back to a cup of kibble and a half cup of green beans. Should make him feel as full as he does today, but will definitely cut his calories back. If that doesn't do it I can always reduce his kibble more as well.

I'll also check into those shoes. He loves to go on walks so I hate to deprive him of them.

1.5 cup is a lot... I would drop him back to 1 cup (half kibble/half green bean)

maybe take him to a nearby park and walk him in the grass instead of the neighborhood, if that is possible

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=14483]rigglet[/MENTION] ...I recall one of our members last year who was in Las Vegas put some paw shoes on and developed heat exhaustion according to the vet. Bullies perspire through their paws it turns out. So I would keep an eye on Winston.

BTW Sir Winston is absolutely a gorgeous and handsome bully. Jewel and Bentley say hello.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online