Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
1. How to introduce him to my two cats
2. What type of bones or rawhide to give him to chew
3. Do I crate train him
4. Toys what types are the best.

Thank you for any input

hi again Pheebee.
I'm not so sure about introducing the cats, maybe someone who has more experience with this will come along and help.
I don't give my guys any bones or rawhide, because they swallow everything. Be very careful with bones and stay away from rawhide, it is very dangerous and a choking hazard. Some members use deer antlers, or marrow bones, but again watch that it isn't too small and can be swallowed. I would also only give these things when he can be supervised. I give Dozer and Blossom Kong rubber bones. I always crate train my dogs, and Dozer and Blossom are both crate trained from a puppy. It's their safe place, it's where they sleep and go when we aren't home. Dozer eats textiles he loves socks, towels, underwear, paper towels, napkins, blankets, and pillows lol. Plus he chews electrical cords, so he can't be trusted out when we aren't home. Fortunately someone is home most of the time so they aren't in there often, but when I do go out, I know they are safe. They sleep the whole time. Crate training is a personal choice, but it is a good thing to have when they are puppies and when potty training. The best toys are chew proof ones, lol. I can only give my guys the Kong toys or the JWow brand of toys. They can't have any stuffed toys as they eat the stuffing and shred them in 5 minutes, and they can't have tennis balls for the same reason.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
1.Not sure what the cat-dog experts would say, but for Castor, early introduction to cats seems to have been good. At the breeder's, there were cats so he's always liked them and he is now close friends with our neighbour's cat.

2 Regarding chews, definitely avoid rawhide and pigs' ears, etc. They can choke on them (they get so slippery that in a sec, they're half-way done the throat). Castor liked nylon bones when he was a pup, eg from Nylabone.

3 Crating: We've never done it (it's even against the law in Sweden to crate dogs unless for transportation) and I have never seen a need to. We blocked off the couch and the bedrooms when Castor was on his own until he was perhaps a year, but he has all in all been a very calm and non-chewing dog. Had he been more of a chewer, we would probably have confined him to eg kitchen and hallway when left alone. My advice is to watch your pup and see how he takes to his new environment. Until he's potty trained, taking him out very often is key. If you need to leave him before he's potty trained, newspapers on the kitchen floor and limiting him to the kitchen is perhaps an option (I think that's what people here usually do; we were fortunate enough to be able to stay at home until Castor was potty trained).

4 Toys - As a pup, Castor actually loved cardboard boxes (we hid treats in them and then hid the box). Worked great, but of course you need to be there to watch him and to be part of the game. Kong toys and other toys for strong chewers are good and supposedly safe for bulldogs.

Good luck with your pup!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Rawhides are a definite no-no. We have nylabones and an elk antler which my two boys loved when it was new but now ignore. Monty doesn't play with toys much but his favourite is an empty Simply Orange type juice bottle. It is much more substantial than water bottles but still makes a hell of a lot of noise, especially when it's on tile or wood floors which is heaven to him. The noisier the better! Kongs are supposed to be good but neither of my dogs will touch them for some reason. I never give my dogs toys with squeakers as they can get them out of the toy and choke on them.

Enjoy your pup!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
1. How to introduce him to my two cats
2. What type of bones or rawhide to give him to chew
3. Do I crate train him
4. Toys what types are the best.

Thank you for any input

Not much of an introduction you can do as cats are way too independent. Just let nature take it's coure. If your cats have claws, keep an eye on that. You cant replace eyes.

NEVER NEVER Rawhide! !!! Does not dissolve in stomach!!! Give real bone with marrow. Puppy wont go for your furniture and healhty too.

Crate is great. Let puppy sleep in it for a few months as its going to become his safe place. One day you can open the door n by habit he will go on his own. Dont use crate as punishment as it will mix Dozer up... safe place or bad place...

Buy solid rubber toys as rubber will keep tarter away.

:)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Not sure about the cats, I think they pretty much do their own thing. As others have said, no rawhides, pig ears or the like, very dangerous. We give Nylabones, (not the eatable ones), Kongs, and elk antlers. We always crate train ours. That is their safe place and the absolute safest place they can be when you are not home. Keeps them out of trouble and getting into things that might harm them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no cats so can not give advice on cat interaction -- sorry.

No to rawhide... bad, bad, bad :barf: also, stay away from bully sticks, pig ears, roasted/smoked bones --- all are harmful in someway. i give raw marow =bones and when done with the marrow, I rinse and stuff with peanut butter then freeze for a weekly treat

Absolutely agree with crate training -- as David state, safest place for them and make it their 'safety zone'

We give nylabones, antlers, moose paddles, marrow bones and stuffies/tennis balls at times

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I don't have much experience on the cat side, but I know people who have cats and dogs that move together without issue and it always seems that early introduction was the key.

As everyone has said, rawhide a are a definite no no, unhealthy and dangerous. I get elk antlers and smoked beef bones for Ruckus and Regina -- they are tough chewers so I can't get them anything too soft or easily broken up and swallowed.

Crate training, well Ruckus and Regina are both crate trained, but I never pushed it when they were tiny puppies and I never made them sleep in their crate. They both slept in the bed with Keith and I from the time we brought them home from the breeder. They both don't mind being crated, but we don't use it frequently. We cover it with a blanket so it's a dark cozy space and keep it in the living room, sometimes they just go in there to sleep. I also crate trained them out of necessity -- I live in a large condo building in DC and it could happen that there's emergency maintenance or something that requires building management to come in before I can get home, they know the command "crate" so they could easily be crated where they're safe and really so no one is scared of them (I know who would be scared, but it happens). We also travel with the dogs a lot and from time to time we need to crate them for short periods of time depending on where we stay, although we try to avoid it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online