Jhedir6

Aug 15, 2016
Dunnvile Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thysyn
Hi All Thanks so much!!

Princess Ellie (@tytysmom Jess -Ellie is Just like Tyson, if its not cold and clear) - she has her water at all times, I most definitely never taken it away.

She just sometimes seems to want nothing to do with it, or she chugs it like she is never going to see it again.

Ellie Chills in her crate most of the day - (mommy just got a Mommy cam to watch her while i'm at work)

She is at a nice cool 65°, while mommy works her butt off to pay that electric bill-HAHAHAHAH!!:laugh:

Our King Charles Cavalier is the same, after coming home from a walk he'll lay and pant on the floor for an hour and not even touch his water. I was so worried last year when he started this behaviour that we gave him an ice cube thinking the coldness of it would get him to want to drink. Well a year later, he still doesnt go for the water bowl, he lies on the kitchen floor and waits for you to toss him an ice cube. It seems when he wakes up for a long nap he'll go have a big drink from the bowl, but he rarely touches it for a small drink, its almost the whole bowl, or nothing. And as far as temp goes, doesnt matter, always the same, but he pees regularly so we figure it's just the way he is.

David

jamesmd72

Mar 5, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Morgan
Anyone have any recommendations on how to get them to drink slower? My girl will just continue to drink until she throws up and would then drink more. I just want to make sure she is getting enough water, but trying to avoid cleaning up after too.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with everyone above. Every bully or dog is different, due to size, temperatures where you live, or the level of their activity, even the type of food they eat can make a difference in how much they drink or need. Kibble is dry, so more water is needed when feeding dry food, dogs who have a raw diet receive more water in their food, so may drink less. If your dog is very active, and runs or walks a lot, then again they need more water, and if the temperatures are warmer, again they need more hydration. I never restrict their water, we use a pet water cooler with a filter that we change once a month, I change the water regularly, and they are able to free drink when they want. I also add a little bit of warm water to their dry kibble when I feed them, to ensure they are getting enough hydration. When we go for walks, I always carry water with me for them to drink, and if I run out, I can always buy a bottle of water at a corner store or gas station. I have a travel bottle for dogs that has a flip out basin for them to drink. As long as fresh water is always available, then they will drink what they want or need.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Anyone have any recommendations on how to get them to drink slower? My girl will just continue to drink until she throws up and would then drink more. I just want to make sure she is getting enough water, but trying to avoid cleaning up after too.

Is this all the time or just recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesmd72

Mar 5, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Morgan
This is how it's always been. I have to limit the amount of water I give her each time, but I want to be sure she is getting enough.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is how it's always been. I have to limit the amount of water I give her each time, but I want to be sure she is getting enough.

I would have her checked for a few things, but the main reason I asked that was; when a dog is sick or the belly does not feel good, they will drink tons of water to make themselves vomit.

Ask the vet to check her thyroid and for diabetes .. even ultrasound her belly to make sure nothing is in there irritating it (my girl had a 2 inch stone once, we had no clue till she began showing behavioral changes)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.