Retractable or Long Leash Ideas?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I am looking for a retractable or long leash for Fezzik. He is around 50lbs and very strong on the leash. I think the regular retractable leashes are a little wimpy. Any suggestions?

SouthernBred

Mar 18, 2016
Worcester, Mass
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sirius
I purchased a couple long training leads from Gibsons Natural Pet here in Worcester. They are good thickness but are not retractable. one was 15' other is 26'. In my opinion they are the best store in our area by far

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No to retractable... Get a long training lead as [MENTION=15647]SouthernBred[/MENTION] suggest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
NO to retractable...dangerous and way too many dogs have
gotten injured/killed by running into traffic or other danger
before owner could even stop them.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We have several and use them only for the beach. One of them is HD for sure. I thinks it's a Flexi Explore Large.
Like others have pointed out they can be dangerous by allowing the pup a little(or a lot) too much distance to "explore".

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As others have said, no to retractables. Just get a long training leash and then work with him with it. When he pulls, make him sit and stay, then proceed. Keep doing this until he finally gets the message to walk with you and not in front of you.

Florasaurus

May 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bluebelle
Retractable leashes are dangerous. Marigold has been taking basic training and they told everyone to please get a regular leash. My favorite leash is Kong brand. Sounds like he could use some leash training. I personally wouldn't allow him to continue the behavior by providing a longer leash. But I know Bulldogs are stubborn.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
No dogs should be on any retractable. 8' leather leash is what a 50lbs dog needs or any dog. If it's retractable and you need to grab your dog, no chance! That's my 2 cents worth.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I use a Kong retractable leash for chunky when we go on his bathroom walk so that I don't have to walk into the grass with him. I can stand on the sidewalk while he jumps into the overgrown grass to poop. I haven't had any issues with it but I am never in a situation with him where I need to have that much control of him. I have a regular leash also and can lock the retractable shorter than I can it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I use a Kong retractable leash for chunky when we go on his bathroom walk so that I don't have to walk into the grass with him. I can stand on the sidewalk while he jumps into the overgrown grass to poop. I haven't had any issues with it but I am never in a situation with him where I need to have that much control of him. I have a regular leash also and can lock the retractable shorter than I can it.

Most often its not your dog the issue but other dogs. Why I keep any dog on an 8 foot leash so nothing happens to them. But again that's me.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ruckus snapped a retractable leash when he was younger. Thankfully he doesn't bolt off, he just wanted to play. But I wouldn't recommend one for bullies. They're just too big and strong. And also those darned things get tangled up everywhere on walks.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I learned the hard way with a retractable leash and a Dalmatian I had growing up. He was the perfect dog on the leash, never ran or pulled. A neighbor's dog happen to get out of his yard and startled Ramsey and Ramsey took off. I couldn't control him, grabbed on the the thin rope that retracts and ended up with a gnarly rug burn that took months to heal.

So yes, as the other says, go for the normal leash. There is so much more control.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.