My baby broke his nail

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
So whenever we visit my brother's house Apollo seems to break a nail and will start bleeding. He plays a lot over at my brother's house bc he I have 2 nieces and a nephew that adore him and love to play. He has all concrete outside and my husband says we have blacktop and only really walk him outside. Yesterday he broke a nail again and this time my husband said the break was pretty far back. My husband cleans it up and dries it up using cornstarch. Are there other things we can do to prevent this and to clean and fix it better? Apollo doesn't seem to care and is not in pain. He is so very active and we also get him groomed regularly and get his nails trimmed. How often should we be trimming his nails? Should we take him to the vet to have his broken nails checked out? It's been different nails that he's broken.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Have his nails Dremelled weekly until they are way short. Every time they are Dremelled the quicks withdraw a tiny bit. It will take a couple of months to get them really short. Then the chance of a break is very small.
Like so...

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Have his nails Dremelled weekly until they are way short. Every time they are Dremelled the quicks withdraw a tiny bit. It will take a couple of months to get them really short. Then the chance of a break is very small.
Like so...
Thank you so much for the advice oscarmayer! Truly appreciate it. We will see about trying that. I know my husband really did not want to do his nail trimming for fear of going to far....but I will see and try it. [emoji4]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Like so...

:up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you so much for the advice oscarmayer! Truly appreciate it. We will see about trying that. I know my husband really did not want to do his nail trimming for fear of going to far....but I will see and try it. [emoji4]

Groomers do Dremel... But you have to ask most of them. The lady we go to only uses a dremel and i take my guys every 3 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.