Question for those of you with intact males

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
So we decided not to neuter our male because we do not believe that neutering is better for him health wise and that it is about being a responsible pet parent. He just turned 1 back in April. This is also our first intact male dog.

Recently he has been ejaculating on my husband. There is no humping involved. Sometimes there is playfulness on the dog's part with trying to get him to play with a toy.

So my question is, is this normal? Is there anything we should do training wise? I am just surprised that there is no humping involved.

Sorry if this grosses anyone out. My dog is probably going through puberty.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
So we decided not to neuter our male because we do not believe that neutering is better for him health wise and that it is about being a responsible pet parent. He just turned 1 back in April. This is also our first intact male dog.

Recently he has been ejaculating on my husband. There is no humping involved. Sometimes there is playfulness on the dog's part with trying to get him to play with a toy.

So my question is, is this normal? Is there anything we should do training wise? I am just surprised that there is no humping involved.

Sorry if this grosses anyone out. My dog is probably going through puberty.

I have read your post and do not really have an answer for you. Now [MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] 's Ruckus is "intact" and I do not know if he displays amorous feelings toward Keith of not. We had a Pug (Spunky R.I.P.) that was not intact and he absolutely loved pillows and a German named Fritz. Fritz would come over and after the nice pleasantries and handing Fritz a beer. We would sit down and Spunky would start sniffing Fritz and I guess after the sniffing foreplay...Spunky would just hump the hell out of Fritz's lower leg. "Rog-era...I think your dog is in love with me." Obviously Fritz...what is that cologne your wearing?

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I have read your post and do not really have an answer for you. Now [MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] 's Ruckus is "intact" and I do not know if he displays amorous feelings toward Keith of not. We had a Pug (Spunky R.I.P.) that was not intact and he absolutely loved pillows and a German named Fritz. Fritz would come over and after the nice pleasantries and handing Fritz a beer. We would sit down and Spunky would start sniffing Fritz and I guess after the sniffing foreplay...Spunky would just hump the hell out of Fritz's lower leg. "Rog-era...I think your dog is in love with me." Obviously Fritz...what is that cologne your wearing?

I don't think it's the fact that my husband is male I think it has to do with the fact that that is his preferred person.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I don't think it's the fact that my husband is male I think it has to do with the fact that that is his preferred person.

Well what cologne is your hubby wearing? Some of the scents in male colognes are suppose to be turn-ons for the opposite sex but not for puppy dogs I do not think. But it would be an interesting study.

Humping, or mounting, is a sexual position for dogs, but veterinarians who specialize in canine behavior say it often is done for other reasons as well.
David S. Spiegel, VMD, who has a behavioral veterinary practice near Swarthmore, Pa., says in unneutered and unspayed dogs under a year old, humping is usually sexual in nature. But in older dogs it can be a sign of dominance, a reaction to something that has excited the dog, like visitors arriving, or a sign that a dog hasn’t been socialized correctly and doesn’t know appropriate canine behavior.

“The topic draws giggles and laughs, but it’s a very real topic for some people,” Spiegel says. “Some dogs can become very compulsive about the behavior.”
Gary Landsberg, DVM, a veterinary behaviorist in Ontario, Canada, says mounting is common play behavior in puppies, and is even normal in the play of older dogs if it’s not taken to extremes. “You’ll often see one dog mount another, then a few minutes later they’ll switch off and the other dog will mount the first dog,” Landsberg says. “It’s a common play gesture.”
It’s done by males and females, even by dogs that have been neutered or spayed, he says. “It’s a play behavior that dogs do because no one has told them it’s not acceptable,” Landsberg said. “It can become enjoyable or a normal part of the dog’s day, so it keeps doing it. It’s the same as jumping up or barking at the door.”

Please see http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/features/humping-why-do-dogs-do-it?page=2

I hope this helps.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky is 15 months and still intact. I had originally said I was going to get him snipped around a year but he has yet to hump anything and as far as i can tell hasn't ejaculated anywhere.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I had a Doberman that was intact. Even had a female 5 months later. He would never hump her unless she was in heat or not far from them days. Like you said responsible doggy parents..... just keep an eye on his action and correct immediately. Some dogs will be neuter and still hump an anything and everything. I know from reading your threads you're a responsible person and you'll make sure to handle it. It's a big decision and good for you if you want to go through with all this" intact" as most cant. :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We had Walter fixed a couple of months ago, and he was over 2 years old. We had initially decided not to have him neutered, but he developed severe aggression issues especially towards my husband. He has completely changed since his surgery, and he is very sweet and loving...

He would hump things, but not often so that was why we didn't think we would need to have it done.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
No aggression or humping has occurred. Well except for humping visitors for dominance but we are working to correct that. We have not been able to determine a trigger yet. As I said it is like he is going through doggy puberty.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
All my boys are fixed but my parents had 2 labs that were never neutered and lived to be 15 and 14. I never saw that happen with either of them (father and son) and the oldest was bred once. Here's a bump!

Brian Karn

May 6, 2016
Diesel still has his nuts and has never to my knowledge splooged on things or people. He definitely mounts Daisy our yellow lab and just holds her there letting her know who's boss, never humping her really.

Funny now that I think about it...... I got snipped twice but my dog got to keep himself all normal.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Yup..... :hmm::ponder:

Diesel still has his nuts and has never to my knowledge splooged on things or people. He definitely mounts Daisy our yellow lab and just holds her there letting her know who's boss, never humping her really.

Funny now that I think about it...... I got snipped twice but my dog got to keep himself all normal.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ruckus doesn't really hump people. It's Regina that's the humpy one -- she always tries to steal toys from Ruckus and then hump him. It's a dominance thing. Regina is spayed. It was a tough decision, but I couldn't have puppies on my hands [emoji52]

Members online

No members online now.