Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
Our Josie came home today after spending the day at the vet hospital. She had surgery on rear knee/patella. Problem occurred when she slipped on ice or got leg caught in ice hole on yard this past winter. Running on ice/snow not a good idea. Slowly recuperating but walking around house. Eating well and loves to be snuggled with. My wife and I were really worried about her. Thank God for care credit cards. Without it, we would not have been able to afford the surgery. A 3 min application online and bam! Not promoting the card, but is a lifesaver in such emergencies!!! Also removed a cyst on same leg. Also had a uti which we received meds for. Encouraged to feed her a special uti preventive kibble. Prevents crystals from forming in urinary tract. It starts working as soon as she feeds. I think we can breath now:whew:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Wow, poor baby had a long day. I'm so happy she is home and recuperating well. Be sure to keep her nice & calm, little to no activity to give her time to heal properly! Sending big hugs to Josie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thrilled to know your beloved Josie is home & recuperating with y'all.

Nothing better than HOME, thank you for updating us. Sending prayers
for complete healing & wellness in that leg, keep her quiet & inactive :)

SteveB

Nov 3, 2015
Central Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily & Lucy & Emmie
Congrats on getting her safely back home. Hope she recovers quickly. Our Lucy just had bladder stones removed on Thurs and is doing well.

What kibble was recommended for the uti?

thanks,
Steve

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sending prayers:pray: and best wishes for a good and fast recovery for Josie! :yes:

OP
C

Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
Congrats on getting her safely back home. Hope she recovers quickly. Our Lucy just had bladder stones removed on Thurs and is doing well.

What kibble was recommended for the uti?

thanks,
Steve

Royal Canin urinary moderate calories dry kibble.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our Josie came home today after spending the day at the vet hospital. She had surgery on rear knee/patella. Problem occurred when she slipped on ice or got leg caught in ice hole on yard this past winter. Running on ice/snow not a good idea. Slowly recuperating but walking around house. Eating well and loves to be snuggled with. My wife and I were really worried about her. Thank God for care credit cards. Without it, we would not have been able to afford the surgery. A 3 min application online and bam! Not promoting the card, but is a lifesaver in such emergencies!!! Also removed a cyst on same leg. Also had a uti which we received meds for. Encouraged to feed her a special uti preventive kibble. Prevents crystals from forming in urinary tract. It starts working as soon as she feeds. I think we can breath now:whew:

So good she is healing and home doing well! Care Credit has been a life saver for many...

What type of crystals does she have? You can change her diet to help prevent them instea of staying on the prescription food, if you wanted to. [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

OP
C

Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
I'm not sure what type of crystals. What brand of kibble would you recommend? I had been feeding taste of the wild buffalo.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm not sure what type of crystals. What brand of kibble would you recommend? I had been feeding taste of the wild buffalo.

Call and ask your vet if they identified the crystals and what type they are.... from there, we may have members that can gie you suggestions on the food to feed or what to avoid

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Unfortunately a lot of vets are very keen on putting dogs on prescription foods even though it's not necessary. They also should always tell you what kind of crystals were present if there were any and what to avoid so, they will not come back. If she has had one UTI there absolutely is no need for special food. Usually those foods are mainly corn and they're bad for the skin and most all s***t. Sorry. If there were crystals cause of the Uti, they most likely were struvites and there's no need for that food. You can feed any preferably grain free food that suits her and add vitamin C or cranberry in some form in her food. Probiotics are very good too. Also it's important that she drinks enough.

OP
C

Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
Can cranberry supplements in vitamin section be used. It's hard to get her to drink more. Although adding water to her food does help. I'll add a few cups of water to her kibble. She licks that and then eats.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Can cranberry supplements in vitamin section be used. It's hard to get her to drink more. Although adding water to her food does help. I'll add a few cups of water to her kibble. She licks that and then eats.

I used this for Banks when she was having UTI's.... it did help https://cranimals.com/

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Still I would advice you to find out if there were crystals and what kind if so, before you start giving her any supplements. If there were no crystals (or they were truvites) and the vet just gave the food to prevent crystals that UTI causes (struvites) then it's ok. It's always better to be sure.

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty, Sophie, & sometimes fosters
awww!!! I hope Josie is still recovering well !!!

Our Sophie also has luxating patella; however, hers is not (yet!) needing surgery....She also has a minor hip issue that's not needing surgery (yet)...Thank goodness! I do always wonder that IF / WHEN she might need surger(ies), how her spunky little self is going to handle no or little activity :scared:

I'm so glad you had Care Credit availa-bull !!! It always breaks my heart that our rescue group gets new intakes once in a while that are surrendered only because of their very expensive medical needs :( (((hugs ))) to Josie!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.