Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
In almost 5 years at this house we have never seen a flea, then we switch baby sitters and this past spring my girls were getting chewed up like crazy at her house. She has 4 cats that went in and out and they were in the house. Once she kicked the cats out they were biting humans. It's under control now but it was bad!

Anywho.. pretty sure the fleas came home on the kids clothing. We treated the back yard and all the dogs except my girl pitty are on Sentinel. She is on Heart Guard. It controls flea populations but not adult fleas so I got Frontline. What GARBAGE! It did absolutely nothing, if anything the fleas seemed worse! So Tuesday I ran to the store and got some Capstar which is supposed to kill all adults in 24 hours. Before that I gave them all baths. I STILL saw a few adult fleas on Polly last night.

I spent a fortune already on all the heartworm and flea meds but I guess the next step is a serestro collar, I don't trust topicals now. Even those collars are expensive but I do not do fleas! Anyone else have any ideas? I can't get new heartworm meds, I have enough for a year for each dog so Trifexis is out of the question.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Food grade DE. Rub it in to their fur and it will help to kill them off as it is like microscopic razor blades to fleas. Just don't breathe it in. Also you need to make sure your yard is treated, but if they are coming home on the kids from the baby sitters house you will be in a never ending cycle until they take care of their problem as well.

OP
Biscuitsmom

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
That was actually my next go to, thanks. Yep yard is treated we do that every year. They have fixed it from what I can tell, at least my kids are coming home all bit up but it's hard to tell. Thank you, I hate that they are even there!

Food grade DE. Rub it in to their fur and it will help to kill them off as it is like microscopic razor blades to fleas. Just don't breathe it in. Also you need to make sure your yard is treated, but if they are coming home on the kids from the baby sitters house you will be in a never ending cycle until they take care of their problem as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Regular dawn dish soap kills fleas

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Dawn for sure and .....

FOR TICKS/FLEAS

14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

Put all in a spray bottle and shake. Keeps buggers ar bay!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
In almost 5 years at this house we have never seen a flea, then we switch baby sitters and this past spring my girls were getting chewed up like crazy at her house. She has 4 cats that went in and out and they were in the house. Once she kicked the cats out they were biting humans. It's under control now but it was bad!

Anywho.. pretty sure the fleas came home on the kids clothing. We treated the back yard and all the dogs except my girl pitty are on Sentinel. She is on Heart Guard. It controls flea populations but not adult fleas so I got Frontline. What GARBAGE! It did absolutely nothing, if anything the fleas seemed worse! So Tuesday I ran to the store and got some Capstar which is supposed to kill all adults in 24 hours. Before that I gave them all baths. I STILL saw a few adult fleas on Polly last night.

I spent a fortune already on all the heartworm and flea meds but I guess the next step is a serestro collar, I don't trust topicals now. Even those collars are expensive but I do not do fleas! Anyone else have any ideas? I can't get new heartworm meds, I have enough for a year for each dog so Trifexis is out of the question.

We have Seresto collars on jewel and Bentley. No fleas. Jewel did have a tick on her a month ago but nothing since. Seresto collars last for 8 months.

OP
Biscuitsmom

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Thanks! I'll bathe them in Dawn for sure if I see anymore more. I have witch hazel, I'll have to go get the rest.

Dawn for sure and .....

FOR TICKS/FLEAS

14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

Put all in a spray bottle and shake. Keeps buggers ar bay!

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know! I think we will at least get one for Polly, the other dogs like to chew collars off each other : /

We have Seresto collars on jewel and Bentley. No fleas. Jewel did have a tick on her a month ago but nothing since. Seresto collars last for 8 months.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks! I'll bathe them in Dawn for sure if I see anymore more. I have witch hazel, I'll have to go get the rest.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know! I think we will at least get one for Polly, the other dogs like to chew collars off each other : /

I always said...you cant tell someone what to do. You can guide them or give them good advice. Seresto, ME, MYSELF and I, would never use that collar on any pet. Plain n simple it's poison especially if they chew on it. Read the studies and decide for yourself. Yes it works and keeps all at bay but is it worth taking your pet's life or a nice vet bill? Naaaaa .... I rather use dawn and natural products thats works like that potion up there :) anyway makes our stinky bully smell nice... ok that was my 2 cents worth! :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Something you might try to see if you still have fleas in the house...

Take glass 10" pie baker and fill it with water about 1/2" deep. Add one drop of dish washing liquid. Place the pan on the floor and put a strong light source about 12" over the pan. A clip type desk light or similar will do...clipped to a chair leg, perhaps. At night fleas will migrate toward the light source and jump toward it...landing in the soapy water. Dead fleas result.
It works!

OP
Biscuitsmom

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
My mom suggested this too, going to give it a try tonight! Thanks

Something you might try to see if you still have fleas in the house...

Take glass 10" pie baker and fill it with water about 1/2" deep. Add one drop of dish washing liquid. Place the pan on the floor and put a strong light source about 12" over the pan. A clip type desk light or similar will do...clipped to a chair leg, perhaps. At night fleas will migrate toward the light source and jump toward it...landing in the soapy water. Dead fleas result.
It works!

📰 Latest posts

Members online