Questions about adopting an older dog

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
My husband and I think we are ready to take the plunge and get another dog. We wanted to get another bulldog to match Fezzik's temperament and exercise needs. There are a lot of senior bullies out there but I don't know if it is for me. I don't really know what would be involved. So for those of you with older bullies or 2 dogs can you give me some advice.

I am concerned with the following
-healthcare (I have stairs at all entrances but the back set is low to a deck)
-costs for older dog (vet, food, medication)
-daily maintenance
-will mine be too energetic (he turned 1 in April) - he loves to nap but also loves to play
-will I be setting my dog up for depression with getting a dog that will pass in a few years

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Seniors are great, but yes they do require more maintenance vs. a younger dog.

The stairs are okay, but I wouldn't choose a dog that you know has arthritis - Tyson has arthritis, and he can't do stairs. I mean he could... but it wouldn't be smart because it can flare up the arthritis. This is why we bought him a ramp for the truck.

The costs medically will all depend on what health issues they have, which if you are getting from a rescue, all of that is disclosed up front. Tyson is as healthy as a horse, except for his arthritis. So our extra expenses for him are for meds, joint supplements, and laser treatments. Nothing else really, we do run blood work on him bi-annually due to his age just to make sure nothing is off, and if so we can catch it early!

Older dogs are more laid back, and chill. I don't think Fezzik will be too much per say, could even help give the older dog some more pep in their step ;)

Bullies are living longer & longer these days - with excellent care of course. I wouldn't worry so much about the depression part, try to focus on the time now. (That is something I am trying to work on myself)

The one thing to remember is that older/senior dogs are set in their ways. They are even more stubborn than younger ones, and just like us humans they will have good days & bad days... they are a little more moody.... but they have so so so much love to give. I think once you have one, you'll see how much love they are capable of, especially since they are not the first picks in rescues. They deserve just as much love as a younger pup in my opinion, and give you back double love.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

The stairs are okay, but I wouldn't choose a dog that you know has arthritis - Tyson has arthritis, and he can't do stairs. I mean he could... but it wouldn't be smart because it can flare up the arthritis. This is why we bought him a ramp for the truck.

The costs medically will all depend on what health issues they have, which if you are getting from a rescue, all of that is disclosed up front. Tyson is as healthy as a horse, except for his arthritis. So our extra expenses for him are for meds, joint supplements, and laser treatments. Nothing else really, we do run blood work on him bi-annually due to his age just to make sure nothing is off, and if so we can catch it early!

Older dogs are more laid back, and chill. I don't think Fezzik will be too much per say, could even help give the older dog some more pep in their step ;)

Bullies are living longer & longer these days - with excellent care of course. I wouldn't worry so much about the depression part, try to focus on the time now. (That is something I am trying to work on myself)

The one thing to remember is that older/senior dogs are set in their ways. They are even more stubborn than younger ones, and just like us humans they will have good days & bad days... they are a little more moody.... but they have so so so much love to give. I think once you have one, you'll see how much love they are capable of, especially since they are not the first picks in rescues. They deserve just as much love as a younger pup in my opinion, and give you back double love.

:goodpost:

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,

Could not have said it better Jessica nailed it

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik

Thanks Jessica. I'll keep my options open. It will really ultimately depend on if we or the rescue think that my home is the best environment. Fezzik can't wait to find a buddy.

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty, Sophie, & sometimes fosters
awww......I am SO happy you're considering adopting a senior! And I agree that Jessica's post was pawsome!
A precious 12-year-old guy adopted us 6 months ago, and we are just in love with him, as are our 2 personal
doggies! (all 3 are english bulldogs---if I could get my pik to post---arrgh!! LOL!)......Hubbs and I do enjoy
his mellowness, too! And although the poor guy does have significant arthritis, we massage his legs (almost)
every night, and started him on glucosamine/ chondroiton supplements. Many peeps we've talked to say
they help a lot, and some say not really. He also has some mild dementia, so we've been reading about how
to make things easier for him. Ohhh, I hope you end up adopting----this guy is our second elderly baby-they are such a JOY! Or even if you end up with a younger one----yippeee for that, too! :) Fezzik is going to love having a pal :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online