Neutering male bully

AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
My Henry is now about 4.5 months old. I have heard several differing opinions regarding fixing english bulldogs early causing them to have growth problems due to the lack of hormones not letting their growth plates close properly. I have heard this from the wonderful world of the internet but my vet claims there is no clinical evidence to support this. I want to get Henry fixed ASAP but only if it is the best thing for him. Has antone else heard of this or has anyone else fixed their bully as early as 5 months with success?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It is not common to neuter dogs in Finland exept for medical reasons and no vet here recommends to do so before the dog has at least reached it's growth in height. There also is evidence on the fact that early neutering is not good for the dog, but so it to do so. Why do you want to alter him as soon as possible?

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
I would highly recommend waiting until he's matured. Unless he's starting to hump everything and becoming aggressive towards other dogs. One of my best friends is a Vet at a local clinic and she stated that they're currently talking about not neutering dogs younger than 1 year due to growth/hormone issues.

OP
AdorabullHenry

AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Hes starting to hump young children and im comcerned he will get into the habbit and fixing later on wont help. Vets here say you can fix as early as 4 months but that seems early to me

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
I am waiting for the year mark for Vader on my Vet's recommendation. We are at 8 months and ready to have him snipped. Vet said that EB need to have the puppy testosterone out of their system. Vader did hump things about the 5 month mark, pillows, toys and mostly little girl Reya.. She is fixed now and he has slowed on humping her and other household items. Seems to be a phase.. Right now we are in his tantrum phase.. Even the daycare asked if he throw tantrums at home... lol... it's a bully thing.. :yes:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
After all the reading I did and the dog being closes to the human diseases and all, I would get him just tied just like the female so they keep their hormones going as life is meant to be. I regret having Nyala spayed. But it's done so cant go back. If you opt to neutering wait at lease till your dog has mature. That's my 2 cents.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I waited to have Wally neutered, he was 2 and the only reason I did it was because of aggression issues. I would wait for awhile, there is SO much evidence that early neutering can cause issues w/their hormones. Humping is normal in males and female pups...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My sister had her GSD done at 5 months, which I had never heard of doing before. My vet will not do any before the age of 8 months

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
My sister had her GSD done at 5 months, which I had never heard of doing before. My vet will not do any before the age of 8 months

Geez next thing you know they'll be doing it at birth.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
My vet had recommended waiting closer to a year for Tyson but he started humping and harrassing Raven when he was around the six month mark. The almost fights was a bit much so we had him neutered at seven months. Good luck deciding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Geez next thing you know they'll be doing it at birth.

Funny you say that. Recently when we lost Raven and I was looking around, I came across a breeder that said she has her pups spayed/neutered prior to leaving at 8 weeks [emoji15]. I never even finished any more getting to know you convos. That is just crazy to me.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Funny you say that. Recently when we lost Raven and I was looking around, I came across a breeder that said she has her pups spayed/neutered prior to leaving at 8 weeks [emoji15]. I never even finished any more getting to know you convos. That is just crazy to me.

That is sick in the head. Those are breeders that dont want you to use their dogs to breed. Called greed n sick. People should walk away from breeders like that. Vets that agrees to this kind of surgey, they should be reported and plastered all over media so no one goes to them vets.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Hes starting to hump young children and im comcerned he will get into the habbit and fixing later on wont help. Vets here say you can fix as early as 4 months but that seems early to me

Fixing him likely won't stop the humping of kids -- that you'll have to train out of him because it's a dominance thing. He's kind of like oh hey human puppies, let's establish a pecking order. My female bully (spayed) still humps my male (not neutered) bully and sometimes she'll try it on a niece or nephew of mine. My older bully is 3.5 and I never had him fixed. I had my female spayed at 1 and I regret it a bit....I wish I had waited until she was a bit older. In the US, it's pushed very hard -- fixing your pets -- and I understand why, we have a stray pet problem and irresponsible owners who dump unwanted litters and we want to prevent that. However, my un-neutered bully is the sweetest, gentlest guy.

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
I wish I would have waited with Reya, the vet recommended and said she was ready. No complications and she is doing great and the same mean girl as she was. Every now and then she will hump on Vader just to show she can, well till he wakes up.. lol.. One had to get fixed, and if she went into heat, I am afraid Vader would tear up the RV. They have the same father, but different mothers, so having a litter was never an option. Even thou little puppies look cute, having any bulldog litters is not something I would like to do. Way too much work. :)

May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I didn't want to start a new topic, thought this would fall in line with what was already going here. I'm definitely going to wait until Dozer is at least 1 year old before neutering if I do decide to go ahead with it but the other question I had is - What are the health benefits, if any of neutering at the proper time? I've read and been told vague info about various cancers that can be avoided, etc.

I'd like to see some real documented statistics or hear firsthand knowledge if possible to base final decision on.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.