Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neutering male bully

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Neutering male bully

Quote Originally Posted by AdorabullHenry View Post
    Hes starting to hump young children and im comcerned he will get into the habbit and fixing later on wont help. Vets here say you can fix as early as 4 months but that seems early to me
    Fixing him likely won't stop the humping of kids -- that you'll have to train out of him because it's a dominance thing. He's kind of like oh hey human puppies, let's establish a pecking order. My female bully (spayed) still humps my male (not neutered) bully and sometimes she'll try it on a niece or nephew of mine. My older bully is 3.5 and I never had him fixed. I had my female spayed at 1 and I regret it a bit....I wish I had waited until she was a bit older. In the US, it's pushed very hard -- fixing your pets -- and I understand why, we have a stray pet problem and irresponsible owners who dump unwanted litters and we want to prevent that. However, my un-neutered bully is the sweetest, gentlest guy.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vader and Reya
    Likes (Received)

I wish I would have waited with Reya, the vet recommended and said she was ready. No complications and she is doing great and the same mean girl as she was. Every now and then she will hump on Vader just to show she can, well till he wakes up.. lol.. One had to get fixed, and if she went into heat, I am afraid Vader would tear up the RV. They have the same father, but different mothers, so having a litter was never an option. Even thou little puppies look cute, having any bulldog litters is not something I would like to do. Way too much work.

Potty Trainer Old School Dropout's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

I didn't want to start a new topic, thought this would fall in line with what was already going here. I'm definitely going to wait until Dozer is at least 1 year old before neutering if I do decide to go ahead with it but the other question I had is - What are the health benefits, if any of neutering at the proper time? I've read and been told vague info about various cancers that can be avoided, etc.

I'd like to see some real documented statistics or hear firsthand knowledge if possible to base final decision on.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Miina and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I must of been lucky with my 3 males and 1 female. If they have tried to hump, it's been stopped there very firmly and it has never happened again. I just don't think that's good enough reason to compromise their healthy growth.

5. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

We neutered Curly at 6 months. Neutering early didn't stop him from developing; he is really big for an EB and is 71 lbs. When we took him to an EB meetup he towered all of the other EBs.

The reason we got him neutered early was because the vet was concerned about his breathing while under anesthesia if he was too large - Curly was already a large puppy at 6 months, weighing in at about 55 lbs. She said that there was already a concern with EB under anesthesia and the risk goes up the larger they are.

With him, neutering early did not prevent any aggressive tendencies. His personality changed a bit when he turned 3 and he started to be come more dominant and aggressive (work in progress). He also started lifting his leg when he turned 3 too.

He does not hump either - he never did.

Wegot our Great Dane neutered at 6 months too. Our vet explained to us that neutering early slows down the closing of the growth plates which will make dogs taller and more susceptible to conditions like hip/elbow/knee dysplasia. With GDs there are also cancers we have to worry about.

Our decision to neuter the GD early was based on our behaviorist theory that the reason Curly kept trying to attack the GD was because Curly was threatened by the scent of an unaltered dog. About a month after we neutered the GD, Curly slowly started to warm back up to the GD.

I digress - If there is family history of dysplasia I would wait until he has stopped growing as long as he isn't on the larger size of EBs. There are some benefits of waiting, and some not but I really feel like EBs take longer to mature and unless he is humping everything in site/displaying aggressive tendencies, I would wait to closer to a year.
    check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

7. Likes Old School Dropout liked this post
    Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AdorabullHenry View Post
    Hes starting to hump young children and im comcerned he will get into the habbit and fixing later on wont help. Vets here say you can fix as early as 4 months but that seems early to me
    Humping at this age is a dominance thing, where neutering will prevent sexual humping. In this type of situation, he need a bit more training to realize he isn't more dominant than humans.
    check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

Potty Trainer Old School Dropout's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Dozer is almost 6 months old, already 17" tall at the shoulder and 40 lbs (he is pretty lanky except thick neck and shoulders). His dad was on the lean side, tall with a big head and weighs 65 lbs. Mom was a bit taller than average and not heavy at all, about 45 lbs.

I have read about the anesthesia concerns regarding EBD's but it had slipped my mind thinking about neutering procedure, thanks for mentioning it. Humping is not really an issue, he just really likes my wife , and I think tried to start on the female neighbor once but I cut him off. Aggressive behavior isn't an issue, he has a really mild disposition when it comes to other dogs and most people. He is pretty smart, only goes into defense mode when it's someone at the door or around the house working he doesn't know and watches me to see how I interact with them. If I'm ok with them he calms down and of course then wants to "meet" them.

We have a 10 year old 15 lb Shih Tzu (Buster) that he thinks is great. They play together and now that Buster has warmed up to him they even nap together often.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads