Thinking of getting a bull dog / Advice

Yacht2016

Jul 22, 2016
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
None Yet
Hi All,

After a recent break up, im looking to get a bull dog as company/ friend for around the house.

I own my own business which is 5 /10 mins drive from my house so I can nip home whenever needed to walk or feed the dog. I can work long hours maybe 10/12 hours per day in peak times and less when quieter.

How long is acceptable to leave the puppy in the house by his/herself.

Do you think it is fair to leave the dog whilst at work?

I've had Labradors before and know the destruction they can cause.

The house is a three story town house however the down stairs is small with only a kitchen/diner and sitting room. Hence why I have been looking at smaller dogs. Would the dog be ok going upstairs as id be worried about causing hip problems.

I don't want to be unfair on the dog so I have been putting plenty of thought into it rather than rush in. Ive spoke to a dog walker who would see to the dog if stuck at work and can do half an hours walk. Depending if the dog is up to that LOL

Once the dog is older and calmer I think id be fine bringing him/her into work. My last Lab destroyed my office including office desk, chairs and ate paperwork id only nipped to the toilet haha.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

here are a couple articles to read to help you along
- English Bulldog News Forums - Is an English Bulldog the Right Breed for You?
- English Bulldog News Forums - Welcoming Home Your New English Bulldog Puppy
- English Bulldog News Forums - 35 Things You should have if you own an English Bulldog

As for length of time to leave them alone... they can only hold their bladder for 1 hour more than they are months old, so at 2 months of age -- 3 hours is pushing the limit.
Stairs - they are fine, but do not let them go down steps till they are at least 6 months old -- this is when the bones are more formed/solid to handle the pounding going down stairs.
if you have the option to bring the puppy with you to the office, then do so, it is great for socialization

Good luck on your search and ask away on any other question you may have

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
You know what, I got my Bella a week after my 3-year relationship ended. Also, the day I got Bella was the day before my birthday. It was the best decision I've made! I know how you feel. Just read up, and make an informed decision.

Bella is a little stinker, but she's my best pal, for sure. :)

Welcome!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
:welcome3: to EBN

here are a couple articles to read to help you along
- English Bulldog News Forums - Is an English Bulldog the Right Breed for You?
- English Bulldog News Forums - Welcoming Home Your New English Bulldog Puppy
- English Bulldog News Forums - 35 Things You should have if you own an English Bulldog

As for length of time to leave them alone... they can only hold their bladder for 1 hour more than they are months old, so at 2 months of age -- 3 hours is pushing the limit.
Stairs - they are fine, but do not let them go down steps till they are at least 6 months old -- this is when the bones are more formed/solid to handle the pounding going down stairs.
if you have the option to bring the puppy with you to the office, then do so, it is great for socialization

Good luck on your search and ask away on any other question you may have

:goodpost:

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
You could always get 2 so they keep each other company. I think Ruckus was always a happy dog but when I got Regina and come home to find them cuddling, well I know he's not lonely.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, and Welcome to EBN. Everyone above has already given you great advice and some websites to look up. It's always a good idea to do your research before buying any pet, also putting thought and consideration into your decision before hand is always a good idea. It seems like you've thought about this, and I think that since you live close to home and you own your own business, you have flexibility to leave and come home to let your dog out, and maybe down the road, take him to work with you. Your other option of having a dog walker come during the day to let him out is also a great option.
I think he'd be fine, bullies mostly sleep during the day anyway. Lol. The only thing that I would add is its better to have two bullies. Lol. Please keep us posted on what you decide, and if you are lucky enough to be owned by a Bully, please share pictures.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Like Christine mentioned, there is a length of time they can hold their bladder at a certain age, but I would advice you to get the puppy at least when you have a holiday of at least 2 weeks, preferable four, so you can slowly teach the pup to be alone and not just go cold turkey on the little one.

Members online

No members online now.