Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I just came home from work to a really bad situation. Bella had completely pooped up her kennel. She looked so miserable and pathetic laying in her poop. :( She certainly didn't mean to do it. How she felt was all over her face.

I washed her and put her in my bedroom. I took that time to clean her kennel. When I came back to my bedroom, she'd pooped there, too.

It's all liquidly and yellowish. Poor thing...

What do I do? I just gave her a spoonful of pumpkin, but I don't know if that was right.

Also, I just got back from vacation in Cancun. The vet said she had runny poop on this past Friday. (With me, she hasn't had diarrhea in over a year!) She was in the kennel yesterday while I was at work, and she was fine. No runs at all.

What should I do?! I haven't given her dinner, just the pumpkin.

As I was cleaning the bedroom, I heard her whimper...I caught her sitting at the steps to the basement. I ran her downstairs and outside. She pooped more liquid. At least I caught her that time.

(I've missed you wonderful bully-lovers!:smoochwink:)

My house smells like poop, and I think my nose is going poop-blind!

image.jpg

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Poor Bella!! - I feel you lady, Ellie has had the poopies a couple times, and the same very situation you had, Ellie had ONLY been in her crate just a couple hours while we went to visit family, Since I'm still quite the new bully mommy, I am not an expert, but I would definitely get a sample to the Vet ASAP & also give them a call and see what they advise on feeding her. They may suggest a bland diet, or fasting for a short amount of time.

Good Luck, Keep us Posted!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Sounds like colitis to me. She needs gut rest. I'd not feed her for 24 - 48 hrs. Water is fine and necessary. Here is some good info...

"Inflammation of the Large Intestine
The large intestine (also called colon or large bowel) helps maintain fluid and electrolyte (salt) balance and absorb nutrients; it also temporarily stores feces and provides an environment for normal intestinal bacteria. When the colon is damaged by inflammation, parasites, or other causes, diarrhea is often the result.

Inflammation of the colon may be short- or longterm. In most cases, the cause is unknown; bacterial, parasitic, and allergic causes are suspected. Inflammation may be the result of a defect in the function of the immune system in the colon. An exaggerated reaction to dietary or bacterial factors within the intestine, genetic predisposition, or results of previous infectious or parasitic disease have also been implicated.

Animals with inflammation of the colon may strain to defecate and may pass mucus-laden feces, sometimes containing blood. Feces are often of a small volume and a more liquid consistency. Weight loss and vomiting are rare and much less common than in dogs with diseases of the small intestine.

If possible, the cause of the inflammation should be identified and eliminated. Your veterinarian will conduct a physical examination, followed by appropriate tests (which may include taking blood and fecal samples, endoscopy, or biopsy, as needed). Treatment is based on the cause of inflammation.

Follow your veterinarian's recommendations for diet. You may be asked to withhold food for 1 or 2 days to “rest” the animal's digestive system. Once feeding is resumed, dissolvable fiber may be added to the diet. Over time, the fiber dose can be often be reduced or eliminated and a standard dog food substituted without causing a return of the diarrhea. When feeding is first resumed, you may be advised to provide food with a type of protein that your dog has not previously eaten, such as duck, lamb, kangaroo, or venison. This change is to reduce the chance that your pet will have an allergic reaction to the food proteins.

Supplementing the diet with fiber improves diarrhea in many animals. However, the addition of fiber alone will not usually resolve signs of large-intestinal diarrhea in dogs. To help the inflammation resolve more rapidly, your veterinarian may add anti-inflammatory medication to the change in diet. Some animals require additional short-term use of antidiarrheal medications until inflammation is brought under control."

A Vet visit is advised. There also may be a blockage.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll take her to the vet tomorrow.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
No this is not the first post I want to see of my sweet Bella.

I agree with Chip 100% - with hold food, just do water / her belly needs to rest. Since your taking her in tomorrow - hopefully they can give her something for the diarrhea - more than likely they'll give her Metronidazole.
I would do bland for the next few days. Boiled lean beef or chicken and rice with a little broth. Do you have any probiotics for her??

Hugs to baby girl - and no more stranger business [MENTION=13235]Cali Doll[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Excellent advice & post, Chip [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Cali...I'm so sorry, how awful!...poor Bella & poor you ;(

Definitely take a stool sample to Vet, she may have picked
up a bug at kennel. You can give another tsp of pure pumpkin
(not pie mix) and I would not feed her tonight or tomorrow am
until Vet gets back with you. Not feeding them seems terrible (to us)
but her gut needs rest. Give plenty of water and/or ice cubes if she
likes them.

I send loving hugs & prayers over Bella...please let us know update.

Welcome back, Honey...you were missed here!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks family! I love and miss you all, too! I will update.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Welcome Back Cali!!Has she been checked for parasites? I would get with the vet for sure but as said above gut rest would be good but pumpkin should help soothe her.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The liquid stool is bloody this a.m. Heading to the vet now.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I had to drop her off. They'll call me.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
OH NO Ms. Bella Girl!! - YOU GOT THIS!! :pray: Hang in there Mommy - Keep us Posted

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hoping for quick diagnosis & proper meds for Bella will fix her right up.

Continuing to pray for BabyGirl & support for you, dear Cali.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Poor girl : ( I had that once, all the dogs were sick and it was everywhere! I hope it's nothing major.

Members online