Anyone had "Drawer Test" done to check for ACL/CLC tear?

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
UGH! So last Sunday (10July) Penny jumped off the couch and low and behold started limping and not putting any weight on her left back leg. Limp only lasted through Monday. I kept her as calm and rested as I could throughout the week. She looked like she started doing much better - so, I let her play this weekend more than she normally does and the limp came back along with not putting much weight on it at all.

Monday I went ahead and took her to the vet. They gave her anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxers and pain meds. Strict bed rest for 7 days. They also want to do a Drawer Test to see if she tore her CLC - BUT, they have to put her under for it. The vet manipulated her leg and joints as much as she could without hurting her and said that she's more leaning towards a bruised muscle/soft tissue soreness. But bc she's only 13 months and a bulldog, she wants to make sure she didn't tear anything and if she did wants to refer me to get it taken care of bc she's so young.

My choice was, that if she's doing better within a week, to start to slowly resume activity and see how she does (but vet still wants to see her back before giving the ok to resume activity). If she's not showing any signs of improvement then she wants to do the test. Or, we can do it just to get a definitive answer. She's been on maintenance dosage joint support - I bumped it up this weekend.

I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and get the test, even if she's doing better just so I'll know. She's still not putting much weight on her leg and last night kinda lunged to attack Lockjaw twice - which is very much out of her character. She seemed uncomfortable last night. I'm not sure if its the meds making her feel that way, or if she's in pain. Life would be so much easier if they could just talk!

So - opinions....should I get the test or not?

P.S. Lockjaws cherry eye is popping back out. FML right now! Once it gets to the point where we cant massage it back in, then I'll be taking him in to just remove it this time. My poor guy!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Crappers! When it rains, it pours! Personally - I would not risk going under... I would give it a little more time to see if she comes around. With limited activity, joint supplements, etc. @Marine91 how did Dr. Dikeman check Harlea, xray?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Crappers! When it rains, it pours! Personally - I would not risk going under... I would give it a little more time to see if she comes around. With limited activity, joint supplements, etc. @Marine91 how did Dr. Dykeman check Harlea, xray?

She had an xray the first time around that did show a cloudy area in the knee with a different vet as Dr. Dikeman wasn't available. However, on her follow up visit he looked at the previous xray and didn't really say anything about it, but he confirmed it when he started manipulating her leg and said he didn't need a new xray as he could feel the looseness in the knee joint and he showed it to my wife. With as long as he has been seeing bullies we didn't question his diagnosis as we trust him 100% but yes usually it can be seen as a cloudy area on an xray.

As for the Drawer Test.... I just looked it up online and it looks very similar to how Harlea's legs are manipulated during her yearly checkups and I assume during her last visit before surgery. Not sure why the dog has to be put under unless they are looking at it from a safety standpoint, but even then they can do very similar testing to feel around without putting the pup under.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Vet said that its a pretty painful test for them. She said that she did manipulate it as much as she could as to not hurt her and in doing that, was leaning more towards soft tissue than a tear. They didn't do xrays bc they said they wouldn't be able to see it on xray - but if we wanted to do the test, they would do xrays the same day just to cover all bases. But for now, rest and meds.

:( :fie:

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Abbott will be having surgery soon,when its not so hot here for recovery.He had this happen and went through months of laser and Adequan shots to no avail so surgery it is.I personally don't no why the vet needs to put her under my vet manually manipulated it and decided so I've never come across this reasoning..Best wishes

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Abbott will be having surgery soon,when its not so hot here for recovery.He had this happen and went through months of laser and Adequan shots to no avail so surgery it is.I personally don't no why the vet needs to put her under my vet manually manipulated it and decided so I've never come across this reasoning..Best wishes

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Poor baby! I hope all goes well when the time comes for surgery!

She is starting to walk on it much better as of last night. No more limp and she is now putting weight on it. I think i'm leaning more towards waiting to do anything that she needs to be put under for. I think once she's back to normal behavior and if I see a pattern of her limping if she's only been running around or normal play behavior, then I might look more into getting it checked out further. When she did manually manipulate she wasn't convinced it was a tear, so that's why she wanted to put her under to - I guess "thoroughly" manipulate it, but said that THAT is what hurts them and therefore the reason to put her down for it. But, bc she is doing SO much better in such a short period of time, I think i'm going to wait on that for now....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor baby! I hope all goes well when the time comes for surgery!

She is starting to walk on it much better as of last night. No more limp and she is now putting weight on it. I think i'm leaning more towards waiting to do anything that she needs to be put under for. I think once she's back to normal behavior and if I see a pattern of her limping if she's only been running around or normal play behavior, then I might look more into getting it checked out further. When she did manually manipulate she wasn't convinced it was a tear, so that's why she wanted to put her under to - I guess "thoroughly" manipulate it, but said that THAT is what hurts them and therefore the reason to put her down for it. But, bc she is doing SO much better in such a short period of time, I think i'm going to wait on that for now....

UGH -- sending lots of positive thoughts that she heals up without needing surgery or the manipulation testing

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
But, bc she is doing SO much better in such a short period of time, I think i'm going to wait on that for now....
This is a good choice. Be sure to keep that activity level low. Rest is what got back to where she is now. Once you are convinced that she's back to 100%, give her one more week of rest. Overkill is a good thing when it comes to rest and proper healing.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Ugh that bites for both pups! I agree with the others to just give it some time, one of my boys limped for a little while but I believe it was in his paw not his knee. After some time he was just fine. Probably a muscle tear or strain like you think. Just rest and maybe keep them separated for now. If after 2 weeks she is still in pain look at the test. I hope that's not what it is though : (

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Woohoo!!! Took Penny in for her one week follow up. I opted not to have her put under for the drawer test.
I dropped her off this morning and let her hang out today so the vet could see how she's doing.
When I picked her up- the vet looked shocked at how well she's walking in comparison to last week! She said to keep giving her meds through today and tomorrow. Then no more meds, and very slowly resume activity.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be an over protective momma and keep her calm for the next month! [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Woohoo!!! Took Penny in for her one week follow up. I opted not to have her put under for the drawer test.
I dropped her off this morning and let her hang out today so the vet could see how she's doing.
When I picked her up- the vet looked shocked at how well she's walking in comparison to last week! She said to keep giving her meds through today and tomorrow. Then no more meds, and very slowly resume activity.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be an over protective momma and keep her calm for the next month! [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWESOME!!! :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.