Joey's NEW harness....NEED some advice please

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Joey normally went naked while in the house and flat collar for quick potty trips. K9 Julius for walks (which she now refuses to take, maybe the heat). Anyhow....I wanted to start her wearing something in the house so I first tried Lupine step in but unless its really tight it slips around. So after reading posts here I ordered Planet Dog Comfy Hemp Harness. PLEASE tell me if this is fitted correctly, I got a large. Not sure where it should fall on her back. I do take it off for bed time.

ALSO......she literally looks at me like she hates me when I put it on AND funny....last night she was over tired and being a bit crazy so I put the harness on her and BOOM calm dog. Does this happen to anyone else?? I want her to like the harness :)

IMG_4303.JPGIMG_4304.JPGIMG_4306.JPG

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I can't say if that is correct or not as I don't use it but Harlea does the same thing. If she is going nuts and then we put her harness on her she calms down immediately.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] GOOD TO KNOW! Thank you, I thought that it was so strange that Joey had SUCH a change in behavior. I don't want her to associate the harness with a correction......I'm not doing that, am I ?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] GOOD TO KNOW! Thank you, I thought that it was so strange that Joey had SUCH a change in behavior. I don't want her to associate the harness with a correction......I'm not doing that, am I ?
I wouldn't think so unless the only time you put it on is when they are acting up. Even when Harlea isn't going nuts she stays calm when we put it on her. Then again for s that might change as she has had hers on for over a month due to her surgery

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Harvey likes to go out but it is always a chore to put the harness on. However, once it is on, he is fine. He has to run for cover whenever I try to put it on so I need treats to make it happen.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It appears to be on correctly, looks like she can move ok in it. Just be sure its not too tight anywhere. Tyson will not go on walks in his Julius harness, he won't move at all for a walk in it, so we use a simple collar and leash. However if we're taking him out in public which requires a car ride, he jumps into the harness because he knows what it means. LOL

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Thanks, as always, for the input. I did check again, not too tight and SO HAPPY to know that Tyson had the same thoughts about K9 harness as Joey does :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] My 3 girls wear Lupine step-in. They have them on all the time. If you leave Joey's harness on, she will get used to it,and start living a normal life! My little rescue has a collar on,and that's what he had when he came home,and he doesn't pull on a leash.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Thanks Lynn! I did start with a step in, not actually "Lupine" so that might have been my issue with it slipping all the time....cheap knock off perhaps. I'm happy to know that she will get "normal" with the harness on. Its just so convenient and safer for her, I believe, since I can easily grab her if I needed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Joey normally went naked while in the house and flat collar for quick potty trips. K9 Julius for walks (which she now refuses to take, maybe the heat). Anyhow....I wanted to start her wearing something in the house so I first tried Lupine step in but unless its really tight it slips around. So after reading posts here I ordered Planet Dog Comfy Hemp Harness. PLEASE tell me if this is fitted correctly, I got a large. Not sure where it should fall on her back. I do take it off for bed time.

ALSO......she literally looks at me like she hates me when I put it on AND funny....last night she was over tired and being a bit crazy so I put the harness on her and BOOM calm dog. Does this happen to anyone else?? I want her to like the harness :)

View attachment 99937View attachment 99938View attachment 99939

Loks right to me.... as long as you can get two fingers under the harness it should not be too tight.

and, good LORD --- I LOVE that face... she is a beauty.

BTW -- when our harnesses come out -- both boys go freakin' nuts and will not settle down -- they know it means a car ride or walk

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Thanks, as always! I did the two finger test and feels like plenty of room. I wanted a harness that the buckle did not sit directly on her spine, this buckle is off to the side.

OMG Joey just RUNS AWAY like I'm going to hurt her, she HATES wearing it, but I will prevail :) Joey LOVES the car but her signal is "Want to go with Mom" and then my keys.....so joyful!!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.