I think it is jealousy right now not aggression but worried

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
Bristol is 1. Around April when she had her surgery she moved out of my sons room into mine because I am a lighter sleeper and more routine caregiver then a 17 year old. During her recovery she really attached herself to me. She always followed him around now she follows us both but here is where I think the jealousy comes in. I cannot hug anyone-my children or my husband. When I am standing up and hugging someone she runs over and gets between us or occasionally jumps on us. If I am laying down and hugging on my 5 year reading bedtime stories etc she will use all her body weight to squeeze in between us as if to say it is my turn to be next to mom read to me.
Last night after story time I gave my 5 year old a kiss good night and Bristol jumped on us both and was kissing us but was a little mouthing on hands and such and I am worried she may get nippy and what starts as a kiss may quickly turn into a bite before we can stop it because it is so fast.
We said no and gently pushed her back, that just made her more wound up and determined.
She is so good with people and with kids, it is only when I am showing affection that she gets high strung. Does anyone else have this and how do you handle it?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Willow has a tendency to get like this, and you seriously need to nip it in the bud NOW before it gets out of control... I just make her get down and get in a sit/stay until I'm done giving affection to someone else. She really can get going whenever I give Wally attention, and at times I have had to put her in a crate because she won't settle down. Everything has to be earned...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
...you seriously need to nip it in the bud NOW before it gets out of control...
...just make her get down and get in a sit/stay until...
...Everything has to be earned...
yes
Yes
YES!
She is developing what we call a "Mommy Zone"
If not addressed right away, it WILL develop into something worse.
Please check it now!
This is something you can practice/train but it will need lots of work, repetition, and reward. Family members must ALL be on the same page so consistent behavior/action comes from all sides.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Rosie and Tilly did this and Diva now that I think of it , all three bullies never ever showed aggression of any type towards anyone ever , to Me it was just plain old `this is mine ` but they would try and get between The Prettyone and I when close or say hugging and some times our other dogs was never a fight there also between dogs . I took it as part of the breed they are they do attach themselves to one person yet show much affection to everyone else also

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
My girl does this except it's not with the family but the other dogs. If I do anything with them she will either butt in or go after them and chase them away. It needs correction asap, she has to learn it isn't ok and she must wait. A trainer told me that "sit" is the most powerful training tool. Go over it over and over every day until there is no hesitation. Only you are allowed to tell her when she can move.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Rosie and Tilly did this and Diva now that I think of it , all three bullies never ever showed aggression of any type towards anyone ever , to Me it was just plain old `this is mine ` but they would try and get between The Prettyone and I when close or say hugging and some times our other dogs was never a fight there also between dogs . I took it as part of the breed they are they do attach themselves to one person yet show much affection to everyone else also

Nitschke was like this and so is Cheli... but, Banks and Lambeau couldn't care any less. Whenever Lewis and I hug... Cheli comes over and begs to be included. There was never any aggression or mouthing, but we also did train them form the day the enter the house -- everything is earned by using 'nothing in life is free'. I think by doing that we set an early expectation and ground rules so it never became an issue

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Nitschke was like this and so is Cheli... but, Banks and Lambeau couldn't care any less. Whenever Lewis and I hug... Cheli comes over and begs to be included. There was never any aggression or mouthing, but we also did train them form the day the enter the house -- everything is earned by using 'nothing in life is free'. I think by doing that we set an early expectation and ground rules so it never became an issue

Out of the present five dogs Rosie Odin and Neli want hugs at the same time as The Prettyone and I are hugging , and Past dogs Diva and Tilly , interesting that all 3 Bulldogs have done it , like you no mouthing or aggression ever they just want to be included in My view a family group grope section I like to call it . Dakota and Willow ( husky breeds ) are indifferent and look at you like " There at it again " look ! lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.