Can't get drool marks off my hardwoods!

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I am very careful to wipe up the drool from my hardwood floors after feeding my dogs or after they get water BUT there are times when drops land on the floor and I don't see it until after it dries. The drops leave a ring only visible at certain angles when the light shines on it and I can't get them up no matter what I try. I've tried scrubbing on my hands and knees with microfiber cloths, using vinegar and my quick shine cleaner but they are still there. I have a shiny finish on my floor and tried Murphy's soap once but it left a dull film on the floors. Any suggestions on how I can get them off or has it just eaten into the finish?

Brian Karn

May 6, 2016
Drum sander/refinish...........

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
I have shiny acacia hardwood and i've had good luck with Bona. It seems to pull off the drool and slick 50 hack ups he manages to leave for me to slip on.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Pledge Wood Floor. I've only found it at Lowes. It's part of the "commercial line" of Johnson products and it's awesome! Nice shine, great protection, it works for me!!!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We had hardwood floors for three years and cleaned them with Bona and had good results. Never had a staining problem, even with pee.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We use Bona too. It was recommended by our installer and it works for us.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I used Bona for a while but now I just use a mop with mr clean to clean the wood floors. I turn the ceiling fan on high and mop away but towel dry the areas that wont air dry quick

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use Bona too or Method makes this almond scented floor cleaner that also works great. I'm allergic to most cleaners, so believe me I've tried everything... Lol

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
sounds like the floors need a new finish put on them , only way water or anything would stain is if the finish was gone to start with .
We use large rubber ( we have 5 dogs so need large ) waterproof mats , you can get them anywhere , there water feeders sit on Boot matt's like you would use in the winter to catch any spillage or jowl leakage. The water is also put in a easy clean area like the laundry room where there is no hardwood or muck out room, if they are thirsty they will find it and it will become a routine to go there for there water and food

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
If the wood finish is still in tact then the acid in the saliva is etching the surface of the finish. There's not much that I can think of to repair the damaged/etched surface besides buffing with fine steel wool and applying a new finish. You might be lucky enough that the finish is thick enough that you can buff with steel wool and apply a polish to hide/correct the affected areas. I'd be disappointed with the floor manufacturer/finish product if it was being damaged this easily. It should be tougher and more resistant to etching, IMO.

OTOH, if the finish is worn out, then the wood is getting stained and anything short of sanding and finishing will be wasted time/effort.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have the same issue with Lambeau... banks used to take the water all with her too, but for some reason Lambeau leaves a 'mark'. I use Bona and it does lift them, but at times I still have to hand dry the 'stains' to get them off the floor. NOTE; it only happens on the high gloss floors in the kitchen -- I recently installed a matte finish floor in the family room... no stains. :ponder:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I recently installed a matte finish floor in the family room... no stains.
Very smart Mama
High gloss finish shows every tiny little defect.

OP
Kevikell

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Thank you for all of the suggestions. Reading these makes me think that maybe the finish is just wearing down because a drop of drool or water leaves a mark. The floors are 13 years old and we just moved in this year. We will probably try to lightly sand and refinish if we can in a few years. I have 20x20 mats under their bowls but when they walk away or even hassle, drops end up other places. :( I know when it comes time to replace the floors I would install a more distressed look and certainly not a high gloss finish-they're pretty but a pain if you have dogs. I've read about Bona but haven't tried it yet. Maybe it's time to give it a try too!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Very smart Mama
High gloss finish shows every tiny little defect.

yep -- LOVE it and will be saving money to have the high gloss sanded off and a matte finish done.... should be in 2020 :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online