No Barking

Kristopher T

Apr 5, 2016
Presidio Texas
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Is it normal for a bulldog NOT to bark? Rosie snorts at me when she wants attention, or food lol but no barking... I have hear her bark in her sleep sometimes but that is it. Is this normal?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Some just take awhile to find their voice.... How old is she?

My Frenchie only barks when he is playing, being a 'Gnat' as i call it and he is 5 yrs old
[MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Rosie will be 1 year old soon and very rarely barks , but like Your Rosie will snort or make another hard to explain sound to get My attention mostly for play time .
If OUR Rosie,s are used to getting our attention by making a sound and we respond there is maybe NO reason for them to bark , The odd time My Rosie does bark it is because someone is coming up the driveway ( LONG Driveway ) she is funny she will bark once maybe twice and run back 25 ft to the sliding glass door on to the deck scared as hell wanting in lol ,Tilly also did this couple of chickens is what they are , not good guard dogs lol .

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I think barking is also a personality trait. My EB barks all the time at strangers, etc. She has strong guarding instincts and then I have a pitbull that I think I have heard bark 3 times in 7 years lol. A stranger could come steal everything in our home and she wouldn't move! Sounds like your girl is just more laid back.

OP
Kristopher T

Kristopher T

Apr 5, 2016
Presidio Texas
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Some just take awhile to find their voice.... How old is she?

My Frenchie only barks when he is playing, being a 'Gnat' as i call it and he is 5 yrs old
[MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION]

She is 3 years old, will be 4 next month.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Tyson rarely barks, for a while I thought he didn't know how, LOL. The only time he barks is if the door bell rings, or someone knocks on the door. If he hears a random noise outside that startles him, he may let out just one random bark as he listens.... but that's about it.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
In the 3 1/2 years since we have had Mabel, she has only barked once--when she saw her reflection in a glass door. I have resigned myself to the fact that she may never bark again. To tell you the truth, I miss a barking dog! She makes no sound except for her breathing.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some of then rarely bark. Count your blessings. :)

Florasaurus

May 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bluebelle
And you're sure she can hear? My first bulldog only barked probably 5 times total in the 1.5 years we had her. She was deaf. My puppy and new rescue Marigold were/are very vocal lol. It was actually peaceful having lazy Daisy.

OP
Kristopher T

Kristopher T

Apr 5, 2016
Presidio Texas
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Yes she can hear, when she sleeps I call her name and tell her it is time to go for a walk, she picks her head up, looks at me and goes to the front door.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Maude never barked until she turned 3. I had a Frenchie,who passed away at 4,she was not deaf, but never barked or whined. She was a sweetheart. [MENTION=15715]Kristopher T[/MENTION]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nor does Nyala. There is this dog about 5 house down or so and that one is a yapper. Nyala sometimes answer that dog with one bark. Sounds more like one cough lolll.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
We got Bentley when he was 8 months old. He did not bark at all for two months after we had him. I guess that is when he was getting adjusted to us.. Bentley hates loud noises and when he is startled he barks. Bentley barks at any little thing but mainly when something is out of place (i.e. he is very OCD). Jewel barks on occasion or a sympathy bark for Bentley.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
My Raven was a quiet girl. Very rarely would she bark. She would more grumble at me. Tyson will bark if he hears a sound. Now Bella is hell of a little loud mouth. She likes to bark.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I think it depends on the dog. Rukus didn't open his little mouth to bark for maybe 2 months after I brought him home and Regina was barking the second she stepped inside.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online