ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It's important to treat the cause of the symptom. The symptom is teary, runny eyes. The tears, in turn, cause the staining. Yes, we want our bullies to always look their best but finding what's causing the runny eyes is important too. Most of the time it's allergy related with the possibility of a secondary infection. Entropion dogs will have teary eyes due to the irritation of the cornea.

Every bulldog that comes into our home with tear stains initially gets a 1/4 teaspoon of Tylan in their morning food for 2-3 weeks...or as long as it takes for the staining to disappear. It works every time. This treatment is never more than 3 weeks.

The food we use is grain free "NOW" and it's rare that we have to switch foods to something else. Please note that nearly 95%+/- of the itchy allergy dogs that come through are cured with the right food. One of our current "itchy" rescues did not improve with the NOW Senior food so we switched him to an alternate brand's Duck formula and finally Salmon. He's doing great now and has been for many months. The tear staining he came in with was treated with Tylan and has not returned even after being off of it for several months.

It's good that the Desitin worked but it's time to determine what causes the runny eyes so that it doesn't soon return.

Just me being nosey... what type of food do you use, and what is Tylan?!! Lol

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
what type of food do you use, and what is Tylan?!! Lol
We feed NOW Senior for all our dogs over 8 months. On the rare occasion we get a dog younger than 8 months we'd likely keep feeding the puppy food they come in with...providing it's decent quality stuff. Detailed info on Tylan can be found here...
What are Dog Tear Stains

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Miss Porkchop recently developed tear stains. It looks red in between the folds and gets runny. I am applying witch hazel at the moment. So far, it's clearing up just have keep on applying until it's completely healed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We have used it before too, but don't anymore, we switched food and their allergies got better.

We used to use it too, but a change in food made the difference. I just clean her wrinkles once a day. I think the Alaway and Systane eye drops have helped too. Though I have to really wrestle with her to get them in! :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.