Curled vs. straight tails

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
My new puppy has a straight tail which the breeder told me is rare. The Mama of the litter's sister had a straight tail. 2 of the pups in the litter have the straight tail. The breeder said these pups can sell for double the price because of easier maintenance and decreased yeast in the area. We picked our puppy without knowing this, she is a great breeder and isnt charging any price difference. She is actually paying for all the female pups to be spayed so they are not used as puppy machines! I didnt notice the difference between the puppies tails. So my question is does anyone know the difference or have any pics? Any input would be appreciated!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
A straight tail is a more desirable tail according the breed standard set forth by the BCA if it is facing downward, not upward. I do not nor have I ever heard of a tail being the detirmining factor in pricing.

Check out the link for the BCA An Illustrated Guide to the Bulldog Standard

OP
Lacey28

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Thanks! I will take a picture next time! I didnt notice a difference so we will see when she grows bigger.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I've had two bullies (Truman and Bentley) with straight tails and one with a curly tail (Linus) and I can tell you one is not exceptionally easier to take care of than the other. The screw (curly) tail is absolutely adorable to look at but can have issues because it's generally held closer to the body but I haven't had any major problems.

To say bullies with straight tails is rare is utter bull:poo: - I've seen more bullies with straight tails than screw tails and have never, ever heard of a breeder charging more for a straight tail. She is being disingenuous is suggesting a pup with a straight tail fetches twice the price.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Perhaps she is going a bit overboard on the whole tail thing. The tail is great, it is a plus and she likes it, but maybe she is trying to make you feel more special that she is letting you have such a wonderful tailed puppy at the same price. Who knows, but all I know is I cannot wait to see that tail in action! Wag Wag!!!

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Moses has a screw tail and I can't imagine how that would make it more difficult to clean... his tail does stand up though which is not a desirable trait for show, but since that does make it easier to clean with no pockets, I'll take it.

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Morning folks..........weeeeeeeeeeell, like I've been a preaching.........the problem is when the curly tail covers over the poop shoot .........as in Duke's case. What it does cause.......is three things........impacted anal glands........yeast infections.........and skin rashes.:eek: Sooooooooo, I get the delightfull task of wiping Duke's butt after every yard muffin session.......with flushable baby wipes. When he comes in from his yard muffin downloading.......I say, "It's a** wipey time", and Duke goes to the bathroom and waits for me to wipe his butt. He enjoys it a little tooo much!:lol: It's either I do it......orrrrrrr.......
I pay the vet........either way it really stinks sometimes......:LMAO:Soooooooo, corn-cider yourself lucky! Oh! I will post Duke A** Wipey Video on 4 Paws because of the content I can't post it here. Have a great day!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1217]Lacey28[/MENTION], Vegas has a straight tail, well it is more like a little flap. I can tell you from experience it does not make a difference with anal glands whether it is straight or curled, he still needs to to go and get his anal glands done on a regular basis.

tail001.jpg

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Here is a curly tail for you... Just the very tip wiggles when she gets excited ;)

DSC_0005-1.jpg

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie is like Vegas .. hers is a straight little stub of a tail. Daddy has the corkscrew tail which sits quite firmly against his butt and I do have to keep an eye on it and wipe it because he gets poop on it occasionally. :eek:

OP
Lacey28

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice! [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] My breeder was told by the CKC person about the price. I dont know I was just picturing a straight tail would be long and hanging to the ground! lol! It doesnt matter to me anyways because she is just perfect!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online