My Bully is having stomach/skin problems and I can't figure it out!

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Hi guys,

My Walt is 6 months old, about 30 pounds. He is having extremely loose stools when I take him out to the point where I can't even pick it up off the grass. There has been one thing added in the last three days to make this worse, which was this Salmon Oil https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ABR6E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added the Salmon oil because on the top of his body he has hives, or something. Looks like holes in his coat and I was told to add fish oil to his food by another bully owner.

But, before I added the salmon oil, his stools were still loose! (Just not as bad all the time) I feed him 1 cup of fromm four star surf and turf 3 x per day and he is STILL hungry.

He's in training, so sometimes 100% beef liver, freeze dried from petsmart is given but I've been scaling back on treats and using kibble.

I know I probably need to just take him to the vet to ask about this poop and skin issue (especially since his breath has gotten a little foul/fishy). Just wondering if any of this sounds familiar since this is my first dog. I chose that food bc it seemed highly recommended, so I'm worried there's something wrong with my boo.

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
I would visit the vet and bring a stool sample.
3 cups and lots of treats is probably a little much for a 30 lbs puppy.
The vet will probably give some antibiotic which should help with the hives and also an antiseptic shampoo once a week.
Vader had a cause of hives right at the same time I tried to switch to lentil, so they are both still on fromms puppy gold.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
From your description my first thought is 2 separate issues going on.
See a Vet would be my recommendation. Your pup likely has Giardia or some other gastrointestinal issue. He'll likely need antibiotics like Metronidazole(flagyl). Recovery should be fairly quick.

Most skin issues respond well to Cephalexin...but not always. We prefer the Vet do skin scraping and not guess at the proper medication/antibiotic. One thing you might try is Douxo Mousse on the affected areas. It works really well for most conditions and is readily available without a prescription. Expect recovery to take as much as 2+ weeks.

And BREWBADGER is right...a 30# pup would do well getting 2 cups of kibble per day and a few (grain free) treats. I recommend that you dismiss "still hungry". If I fed my dogs until they weren't hungry, I'd be broke in a month and they all look like Jabba the Hutt. Additionally, I recommend you stop all supplements until these issues are resolved. At this point (IMO), they only muddy the water in terms of diagnosis and treatment.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
I would also cut back on his food, Ellie is the same way, she is like the Hoover vacuum, some bullies need their food monitored and if still hungry maybe try a couple green beans, and for his stool/skin stuff get a sample to the vet, and also get some pure pumpkin, It WORKS wonders. I give Ellie a TBSP once a day.

Good Luck, Keep up posted!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
See a Vet would be my recommendation. Your pup likely has Giardia or some other gastrointestinal issue. He'll likely need antibiotics like Metronidazole(flagyl). Recovery should be fairly quick.

Most skin issues respond well to Cephalexin...but not always. We prefer the Vet do skin scraping and not guess at the proper medication/antibiotic. One thing you might try is Douxo Mousse on the affected areas. It works really well for most conditions and is readily available without a prescription. Expect recovery to take as much as 2+ weeks.

And BREWBADGER is right...a 30# pup would do well getting 2 cups of kibble per day and a few (grain free) treats. I recommend that you dismiss "still hungry". If I fed my dogs until they weren't hungry, I'd be broke in a month and they all look like Jabba the Hutt. Additionally, I recommend you stop all supplements until these issues are resolved. At this point (IMO), they only muddy the water in terms of diagnosis and treatment.

:goodpost: Cut back on the food and cut out the supplement till everything is under control!!!

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Wow guys!!!! Thanks!!!!!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
AGREE with [MENTION=15424]MFrey2012[/MENTION] I don't know a ton, still new to all of this, BUT I can say that anytime Joey had runny stools (other than early on) I added pure pumpkin to her kibble. It literally helped the first day. I know that if the pumpkin does not help then something else is going on......LUCKILY I have not had to test that theory. Good Luck with Walt!!!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Maybe try to swap Salmon Oil with Coconut Oil instead? Besides all the other suggestion other members offered :)

Eventually you will learn exactly how your baby functions... what gives them allergy or soft stools. BTW pumpkin does miracle for that too... one small teaspoon with their food helps alot.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

:up: :goodpost:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Hey! The PUMPKIN helped SO much! I spoke with Fromm, and they were amazing. The rep said that because he's considered a large breed and will be more than 50 pounds full grown, he should switch to the fromm heartland gold large breed puppy. I will also use coconut oil instead of salmon oil perhaps. Sucks because I don't think I can return it but oh well!

His poop is looking a lot better these days with the pumpkin! It is getting there! :) Thanks!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hey! The PUMPKIN helped SO much! I spoke with Fromm, and they were amazing. The rep said that because he's considered a large breed and will be more than 50 pounds full grown, he should switch to the fromm heartland gold large breed puppy. I will also use coconut oil instead of salmon oil perhaps. Sucks because I don't think I can return it but oh well! His poop is looking a lot better these days with the pumpkin! It is getting there! :) Thanks!

No...do not add coconut oil...please stabilize your pup COMPLETELY on a food he can tolerate
best BEFORE adding anything else. Too many changes too fast, bullies are sensitive. You do not
know WHY (at this point) his stools are loose & WHAT his skin issues are from. Take a stool sample
to Vet (yes, even if stool is firmer) to rule out parasites, giardia, etc, even as you are giving pumpkin.
Pumpkin is just a tool to help firm poo, you still need to find the CAUSE & treat it.

So, to clarify...stop all extras...liver treats, salmon oil, coconut oil, ANYTHING. Feed 1 cup kibble in AM
and 1 cup PM...you can give 1/2 cup warmed green beans in between if he's really hungry...that's it.
Do this for at least 2 months (takes that long to clear his system of all else) maybe 3 months. After,
add ONE thing only for 1 month before adding anything else. If there's an issue then you'll know to
what, otherwise, you have no clue.

Good luck & keep us updated :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No...do not add coconut oil...please stabilize your pup COMPLETELY on a food he can tolerate
best BEFORE adding anything else. Too many changes too fast, bullies are sensitive. You do not
know WHY (at this point) his stools are loose & WHAT his skin issues are from. Take a stool sample
to Vet (yes, even if stool is firmer) to rule out parasites, giardia, etc, even as you are giving pumpkin.
Pumpkin is just a tool to help firm poo, you still need to find the CAUSE & treat it.

So, to clarify...stop all extras...liver treats, salmon oil, coconut oil, ANYTHING. Feed 1 cup kibble in AM
and 1 cup PM...you can give 1/2 cup warmed green beans in between if he's really hungry...that's it.
Do this for at least 2 months (takes that long to clear his system of all else) maybe 3 months. After,
add ONE thing only for 1 month before adding anything else. If there's an issue then you'll know to
what, otherwise, you have no clue.

Good luck & keep us updated :)

GREAT advice!!!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel

Our 44-pound Mabel only gets not quite 2 cups of food a day (slightly less than 1 cup in the morning and in the afternoon). You are feeding a great food--just cut back.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Thank you for this advice! Umm.. Walt's poo has gotten firmer with pumpkin, less treats at training, and we decided to switch from Fromm four star to Natural Balance Sweet potato and fish. We're beginning the transistion next week.
But, i think he has dermatitis/hot spots? Can anyone tell me what this is and how to treat? He's always had bumps on his back, but then i noticed light tear stains so i continued with maclectic wipes and kept it dry but then his ears starting feeling sore and its spreading down his next a little.

I have hydrocortisone cream, Neosporin, wipes, what can make this go away?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    911.3 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    849.4 KB · Views: 142

Members online

No members online now.