Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Bully is having stomach/skin problems and I can't figure it out!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Bully is having stomach/skin problems and I can't figure it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    No...do not add coconut oil...please stabilize your pup COMPLETELY on a food he can tolerate
    best BEFORE adding anything else. Too many changes too fast, bullies are sensitive. You do not
    know WHY (at this point) his stools are loose & WHAT his skin issues are from. Take a stool sample
    to Vet (yes, even if stool is firmer) to rule out parasites, giardia, etc, even as you are giving pumpkin.
    Pumpkin is just a tool to help firm poo, you still need to find the CAUSE & treat it.

So, to clarify...stop all extras...liver treats, salmon oil, coconut oil, ANYTHING. Feed 1 cup kibble in AM
    and 1 cup PM...you can give 1/2 cup warmed green beans in between if he's really hungry...that's it.
    Do this for at least 2 months (takes that long to clear his system of all else) maybe 3 months. After,
    add ONE thing only for 1 month before adding anything else. If there's an issue then you'll know to
    what, otherwise, you have no clue.

Good luck & keep us updated
    GREAT advice!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

2. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    From your description my first thought is 2 separate issues going on.
    See a Vet would be my recommendation. Your pup likely has Giardia or some other gastrointestinal issue. He'll likely need antibiotics like Metronidazole(flagyl). Recovery should be fairly quick.

Most skin issues respond well to Cephalexin...but not always. We prefer the Vet do skin scraping and not guess at the proper medication/antibiotic. One thing you might try is Douxo Mousse on the affected areas. It works really well for most conditions and is readily available without a prescription. Expect recovery to take as much as 2+ weeks.

And BREWBADGER is right...a 30# pup would do well getting 2 cups of kibble per day and a few (grain free) treats. I recommend that you dismiss "still hungry". If I fed my dogs until they weren't hungry, I'd be broke in a month and they all look like Jabba the Hutt. Additionally, I recommend you stop all supplements until these issues are resolved. At this point (IMO), they only muddy the water in terms of diagnosis and treatment.
    Our 44-pound Mabel only gets not quite 2 cups of food a day (slightly less than 1 cup in the morning and in the afternoon). You are feeding a great food--just cut back.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Walt
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for this advice! Umm.. Walt's poo has gotten firmer with pumpkin, less treats at training, and we decided to switch from Fromm four star to Natural Balance Sweet potato and fish. We're beginning the transistion next week.
    But, i think he has dermatitis/hot spots? Can anyone tell me what this is and how to treat? He's always had bumps on his back, but then i noticed light tear stains so i continued with maclectic wipes and kept it dry but then his ears starting feeling sore and its spreading down his next a little.

I have hydrocortisone cream, Neosporin, wipes, what can make this go away?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpeg   -image-jpeg   -image-jpeg  

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WaltsMom View Post
    Thank you for this advice! Umm.. Walt's poo has gotten firmer with pumpkin, less treats at training, and we decided to switch from Fromm four star to Natural Balance Sweet potato and fish. We're beginning the transistion next week.
    But, i think he has dermatitis/hot spots? Can anyone tell me what this is and how to treat? He's always had bumps on his back, but then i noticed light tear stains so i continued with maclectic wipes and kept it dry but then his ears starting feeling sore and its spreading down his next a little.

I have hydrocortisone cream, Neosporin, wipes, what can make this go away?
    Allergies... Do you give Benedyl or Clartin? His ears look inflation... Are they dirty or just red?

Neck picture is blurry so cant tell... Is the area moist or just all red?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    e.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Walt
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Allergies... Do you give Benedyl or Clartin? His ears look inflation... Are they dirty or just red?

Neck picture is blurry so cant tell... Is the area moist or just all red?

Much hair has fallen out from left side. Skin is very raw, and before i apply creams they are open sores and look like they have been bleeding, scabbed. They look better, then worse and spreading the next. He itches a lot

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Walt
    Likes (Received)

And yes im giving 2 benedryl's (40 pounds) about once a day sometimes twice depending on severity.

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Much hair has fallen out from left side. Skin is very raw, and before i apply creams they are open sores and look like they have been bleeding, scabbed. They look better, then worse and spreading the next. He itches a lot
    Sounds like a hot spot... You want it dry... Shave the area and keep it clean and dry -- see if you can get some Vectricyn hot spot spray.

e.

10. Likes oscarmayer liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Walt
    Likes (Received)

My baby is doing much better! I took him to the vet. He had dermititis, an ear infection and he had redness in his paws i never noticed. He's on an antibiotic once per day, a cream every 12 hours in his ears and paws and every 48 hours an ear solution. $400.

The next day i saw improvement. He looks great! Yay!!!! Happy my baby is feeling better

12. Likes TyTysmom, oscarmayer, 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

My baby is doing much better! I took him to the vet. He had dermititis, an ear infection and he had redness in his paws i never noticed. He's on an antibiotic once per day, a cream every 12 hours in his ears and paws and every 48 hours an ear solution. $400.

The next day i saw improvement. He looks great! Yay!!!! Happy my baby is feeling better
    So happy to hear this!!!! Give Walt a great big hug from me!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Get well quick, Walt!

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

May I suggest that you get some probiotics since he is in having antibiotics. Antibiotics can cause a havoc in the digestive system and lead to range of troubles. Also one thing you can do for training treats is use his normal kibble. Just measure the amount that you want/need to feed in one day and use some of it whean training. Who says a dog has to eat it's meals from a bowl?

16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads