bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
ok so you all know bella has been the only child since she was 10 weeks old shes 5 now, we got dooley in january of this year he is 6 he minds his own business hes like having a little old man. now mr bentley on the other hand that is two months old we got him last month he is BUSY i love them all dearly as they all have different personalities and i treat them accordingly but my main concern right now is bentley acts like a crazy maniac when its time to eat he eats so fast he throws it up later and when hes done with his he runs to bellas bowl, she tip toes away, dooley eats in his kennel and he whines at dooley like please let me in. is this normal? bella didnt act like that when she was a puppy. should bentley eat in his kennel too? bella has never been in a kennell so thats out of the question for her. i got bentley one of those bowls where he cant gobble the food its shaped funny where he cant get to it all at one time but i feel like he has to work to hard to get the food out of it, he pawed at it when he was almost done until he tipped it over and what little food was in it was on the floor. ok im done rambling hope it doesnt sound to crazy haha!! thanks yall

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I only have Castor so have no experience of the situation you describe, but it sounds like they ought to be separated at meal time! If Bentley is disturbing the others, can you feed him in a different part of the house and perhaps at different times than the other two? I would think it's necessary that he learns to behave, not that the other two should have to go through any changes if their table manners are ok. Good luck!

OP
bella100

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
I only have Castor so have no experience of the situation you describe, but it sounds like they ought to be separated at meal time! If Bentley is disturbing the others, can you feed him in a different part of the house and perhaps at different times than the other two? I would think it's necessary that he learns to behave, not that the other two should have to go through any changes if their table manners are ok. Good luck!

im working hard on his manners lol hes only 2 months old ive said NO more in the last 3 weeks than ever haha he's really sweet hes just a rambunctious lil fella

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have two puppies now and they both act like they are starving. They whine and jump when they see me preparing their food. DSC_0396.jpg
They're only about 13 weeks old, but we have started to make them sit and look us in the eye before they get their meals. For now it's only for a brief moment and they're still very excited, but little by little we're demanding more before they get their food. It's the same with everything, no petting when jumping, no running out the door etc...
Also if your bully is throwing up after his meal you may want to give him food more often. So the amount is less. Or on the same sitting, but first a little, with the waiting, them some more. Yes, it will be tough at first, but he will get it. Food is a powerful motivator.

This is my goal. Maybe not quite so many bullies, but with practise it's possible. My older bully is like this on his own.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
im working hard on his manners lol hes only 2 months old ive said NO more in the last 3 weeks than ever haha he's really sweet hes just a rambunctious lil fella

oh, he's just a little baby, then! well, I would feed him separately unless the older ones can tell him to behave!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I have two puppies now and they both act like they are starving. They whine and jump when they see me preparing their food. View attachment 99778
They're only about 13 weeks old, but we have started to make them sit and look us in the eye before they get their meals. For now it's only for a brief moment and they're still very excited, but little by little we're demanding more before they get their food. It's the same with everything, no petting when jumping, no running out the door etc...
Also if your bully is throwing up after his meal you may want to give him food more often. So the amount is less. Or on the same sitting, but first a little, with the waiting, them some more. Yes, it will be tough at first, but he will get it. Food is a powerful motivator.

This is my goal. Maybe not quite so many bullies, but with practise it's possible. My older bully is like this on his own.

wow - impressive line up of bulldogs! Castor too does that (he he... but he's on his own so less of a challenge!)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We never have feeding issues because we feed all dogs in their respective kennels and make sure to gather the food bowls as soon as we let them out to potty. If we didn't there would be chaos as one of ours(Lala) is a food thief and one of our current rescues(Ellie) is food aggressive.

Feeding openly has always been a problem with a large contingency of Bullies eating at different speeds. Some slowly plow their way through the bowl and others hit it like a tornado, food flying all over. And two Bullies fighting over a single piece of kibble simply isn't worth a risk. Try to keep them separated when feeding/treating.

jfulen

Dec 19, 2015
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly "Harley" Quinn Mayhem
That's is my Harley - she gets the "food haze" when the bowls come out. She used to eat so fast she would throw up. A slow feed bowl helped that and now she eats slower. I still have to separate her from Izzy and Darla (her Pug sisters) because Harley will eat EVERYONE's bowl, Izzy (Queen Dog) gets mad then she and Harley go after it.

As Harley grows out of the early puppy years this behavior is diminishing so the hope is there. In the meantime, get a slow feed bowl - it really works. :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I feed Wally and Willow at the same time, and I make them both sit... I put Wally's food down first, wait a few minutes and then put Willow's down. She would gobble up her food and run to Wally's bowl and he would walk away from it. I had to put a STOP to that mess... I was standing between their bowls, but now they have figured it out. Honestly it's probably an age thing, he's still SO little... Lol I would feed him in his crate till he gets the hang of it, and add some warm water to his kibble so he doesn't choke to death. I add a couple of tablespoons to Willow's still because she's eats crazy fast.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would feed him in his crate and maybe add a little water to the kibble to help make him 'lap' the food instead of gobble. I did that for banks as a puppy and it did help

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
All my dogs as pups were food fiends. Maude still is! I make each one sit before they get their food,and they eat seperately in the same room and I stand watch! If I had pups,they ate in a pen in the same rooms,as they were fast and would be in another's bowl before I could catch them! I know this is kinda' crude(to some) but once everyone was old enough,I throw some food on the kitchen floor in the a.m. and it's a free-for-all! I did that so they wouldn't learn to fight over food! :slapping::slapping::gimmefood:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.