ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
So now that I've calmed a bit, July 4th we had a scary experience with Tiberius
Our son was walking him and some idiots (not really my choice of words) set off some fireworks in beer cans near them and Ty took off dragging Sam along to our house about half a block. He was super overheated. We ended up putting him in the tub for almost 20-30 min with a bath (which he hates most of the time) and rubbing ice cubes on him. Squirting lemon juice in his mouth, I thought he would hate it but he wanted to drink it :ohmy: I called our Vet and the after hours message gave me the phone number for OSU's Vet Hospital so I ended up talking with them, and they gave me some tips and talked to me a bit to see if he would calm down or if we would need to take the hour drive to them ( i could make it quicker if needed but would prob get a ticket) Thankfully he so far is doing well, a bit lethargic.
So my question for my fellow bully owners is there any post signs I should watch out for? He seems to be drinking ok and eating slower then usual but ok. we are getting him a cooling mat friday and a second fan for the living room since he and my husband both want the one we have right now :yes:
thanks

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So now that I've calmed a bit, July 4th we had a scary experience with Tiberius
Our son was walking him and some idiots (not really my choice of words) set off some fireworks in beer cans near them and Ty took off dragging Sam along to our house about half a block. He was super overheated. We ended up putting him in the tub for almost 20-30 min with a bath (which he hates most of the time) and rubbing ice cubes on him. Squirting lemon juice in his mouth, I thought he would hate it but he wanted to drink it :ohmy: I called our Vet and the after hours message gave me the phone number for OSU's Vet Hospital so I ended up talking with them, and they gave me some tips and talked to me a bit to see if he would calm down or if we would need to take the hour drive to them ( i could make it quicker if needed but would prob get a ticket) Thankfully he so far is doing well, a bit lethargic.
So my question for my fellow bully owners is there any post signs I should watch out for? He seems to be drinking ok and eating slower then usual but ok. we are getting him a cooling mat friday and a second fan for the living room since he and my husband both want the one we have right now :yes:
thanks

I say this lightly, but if its been 2 days - he should be okay. The lethargy is common bc he got so overworked. Tyson was also lethargic for the first few days after over-heating. The main thing you want to focus on is the color in his gums. Check them constantly... make sure they are a bright pink. You can press down on them, and they will turn a whitish color then return right to pink - this is normal. If you start to notice the gums becoming white/grayish you want him in ASAP - emergency vet. The reason bulldogs pass from overheating is because once you have hit a certain point in the overheating process, the organs start to shut down. Its so very scary. You did well in cooling him... the water should be cool, not cold. Feeding ice chips, keeping them calm, letting them re-gain their breath is key in the immediate minutes after. Also Popsicles are great. I would do no walks in the meantime, potty outside quickly and back in, let him relax as much as possible and keep an eye on him. Poor baby. Its so scary :(

Edit: Also keep an eye on his breathing, if you notice it becomes labored - in you go.

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
Thanks - his gums have been looking good, and we told the kids while we were at work only quick potty breaks and no walks for awhile. Does it matter what type of Popsicles - I have seen that you can give them before but wasn't sure...he does love his ice cubes :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks - his gums have been looking good, and we told the kids while we were at work only quick potty breaks and no walks for awhile. Does it matter what type of Popsicles - I have seen that you can give them before but wasn't sure...he does love his ice cubes :)

If his gums look good, that's always a great sign! We always buy the natural fruit ones. I would say that in an emergency it doesn't matter much if you are trying to bring the temp down... but if you are going to get some to keep on hand for a hot day or treat - go with something that isn't super sugary.... or even the yogurt ones they make. We usually do Edy's or Outshine. It's important you bring their temp down slowly, as bringing it down too fast is also dangerous. Never do ice baths, or anything like that. Just cool water, fans, feed ice chips, etc.

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
Thanks - we definitely did a lukewarm bath starting out with it cooler as he cooled down. With 3 human kids and a furry one and all the trouble my others have gotten into this has been prob the scariest for us.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks - we definitely did a lukewarm bath starting out with it cooler as he cooled down. With 3 human kids and a furry one and all the trouble my others have gotten into this has been prob the scariest for us.

Welcome.

Watching them over-heat is terrifying. I swear I thought I was going to pass out bc I was so scared and didn't know what to do in panic mode. The good thing is that once it happens once you immediately know when its starting if it ever happens again - I had it almost happen a 2nd time, (temp in the 70s) but I caught it right away and immediately stopped and took him inside a neighbors house to cool off. He jumped back quickly bc I stopped the walk so fast at the first sign of his labored breathing and got him inside and water. They are so sensitive.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How is Tiberius doing? so scary, I am praying all is good and he is back to himself

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
How is Tiberius doing? so scary, I am praying all is good and he is back to himself

So far he's doing well, pretty much back to his old self. He is enjoying following around our youngest most days (especially when she's eating) and trying to squeeze between my husband and I whenever we are sitting on the couch[emoji1]. He's been more active the last couple of days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Glad Mr T is doing great. You handle it great and you were fast to think. Great advice as always in EBN.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.