Hiking / Carrying your dog

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
my boyfriend and I have been hiking a lot this year and I keep thinking about how I would love to bring frank along. Of course I worry about overheating and stressing him out, and he really doesn't like to go much further than 3/4 of a mile honestly. I was thinking about buying a baby/toddler carrier for frank. like that backpack type or the type you strap onto your front... and just strapping him into that and carrying him when he gets tired. Frank is about 42lbs, so I know that's quite a bit, but I'm confident I can do it. But I'm not sure if this is realistic and I have a few questions.

1. is this crazy of me?

2. does anyone else use a carrier with their bulldog, or know someone who does?

3. Would frank even enjoy this?

thanks in advance :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have seen people do it, but always with dogs under 30 lbs ... not sure if they make one big enough for a Bulldog.

Good luck in your search

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I think you could do it for short distances for sure but I also think that he probably won't like it much. My bullies(all of them) have never liked being carried very far...but that was by hand and, come to think of it, I didn't much care for it either.
We use a pet stroller when we go on long hikes. Most tolerate that pretty well.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I didn't even think about a pet stroller!! and I think you all are right, I don't think frank would like it very much. I need to stop trying to making him into my 'go everywhere hiking athletic buddy' and remember that he is an EB and they have limits, and sometimes honestly just prefer to stay home and sleep :D

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I LOVE to go hiking, but I've never taken my bulldogs only my boxer... and on very short hikes for that matter. I'm such a worry wart that they would overheat... I will take them to the Farmer's Market EARLY in the morning, and we have a collapsable wagon that they will ride in. We used to have an attachment to our bikes that Bella would ride in late at night, BOY was that a workout... and she seemed to LOVE it. I'll see if I can find a pic of it...

Members online

No members online now.