New Puppy - Grade 3/4 Murmur

JMUdukedog

Jan 16, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jameson
Hello Fellow Bully Lovers,

We have a 1 1/2 year old boy (Jameson) and decided to adopt a playmate for him. We went back to the breeder where we got him last Saturday and picked up a sweet little girl (Kona). We went to the vet yesterday and she said Kona has a murmur grade 3-4. She is 9 weeks. I called the breeder who was appalled and said she had been vet checked. She asked me to bring her out tomorrow so that her vet can check Kona out and do an echo. We've already fallen for her so this is devastating. We are committed to her no matter what. Has anyone experienced a grade 3 or 4 murmur at this age? Her and her brother play really rough which concerns me. I'm wondering if I should limit their interaction so as not to over exert her in the meantime.

Thank you!

konabean3.jpg
konabean2.jpg
konabean.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm SO sorry to hear about your new baby, I'm honestly not familiar w/heart murmurs in dogs but I copied this link for you...
Signs of Heart Disease in Dogs

I'm going to tag some other members to see if they can advise you... IMO I would definitely have more testing done, or maybe get a second opinion. We are here for you and your babies whatever diagnosis is made...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Has she been drinking plenty of water, if they get dehydrated, it will make a murmur sound worse than it is. At that age if they have a slight murmur, it can go away as they get older. The echo should give a better diagnoses of how bad it is. I would wait until then before doing anything, and see what that vet suggest.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sending prayers and positive thoughts to you all. Sorry, i have no experience with murmurs but will tag two members that might be able to help.

Also search the threads... There should be a few with some info fir you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Consider Va Tech for comprehensive heart work up.
Our Lola had a pulmonic valve murmur and the Vet said she'd be lucky to make it past 1 year. We decided to just let her be a bulldog and not to baby her at all. She made to almost 11 yrs.
I wish the best of luck to you and your prescious baby.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I'm sorry I have no experience with this but am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted! Hugs and healing thoughts from Murray and I

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
No experience with it but I want to send my prayers. Maybe she can outgrow it. Definitely have the echo done.

DexterNZ

Mar 26, 2015
Country
New Zealand
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Hi JMUdukedog,

We had similar circumstances with our one - we found out he had a heart murmur on our first vet visit. We were so attached at that point we couldn't take him back to the breeder.

He's now 1 year and a half old, he still has a strong murmur however hasn't had any problems attributed to the murmur. He's full of energy and definitely keeps us busy.

All the best :)

P5033498.jpg

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
He is adorable. Praying that he stays healthy and you have many wonderful years together.

Andream1989

May 11, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
Hi There - just wondering how you made out with Jameson? We recently got an EB puppy with a grade 3/4 murmur.
She went for an ECG last Friday & we are still waiting for the results. I am nervous!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Bless your hearts and just my experience with this is my shih Tzu girl also had a murmur and so because of it my friend greatly reduced the price on her. She did great and by 2 years of age it was gone. Lived to 16 and if I had known more about teeth and their care, she would have lived longer :( All the best.. Hopefully, just let her be the bulldog pup and monitor is what I would do.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online