Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Just wondering about dogs attachment to one person in the household.
George has recently begun to want to lie on the couch (in the last week, no interest before that) but he will only cuddle up to me (by cuddle I mean he sits as close as possible with his head on my legs) he will not lie anywhere near my daughter which is upsetting her. As she really wants him to lie with her she wants it more than I do as I don't particularly do well with the heat he creates.
Yes I'm the one who feeds him preps his raw food gets up at 6am to bring him to the bathroom mostly I walk him hail rain or shine, I get that he may see me as the main care giver but with her work schedule it's hard for her to be there at the critical feeding times and I think she would have a breakdown if I told her that getting up to let him out at 6 am was how to bond with him.
There are some issues I have with her as regards having he nose in her phone most of the time and not seeing when he needs to go out etc. but if I say those things she gets more upset.
Any ideas how she can bond without doing practical things with him?
I'm reading that back and thinking how crazy it must sound to others.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They will always bind with one more than others.... With the four we have had, i was/am the main care giver, walker, etc. BUT, when it comes to cuddles two of the four want Daddy, our French Bulldog always wants me.. And our female never cuddled but she LOVED her Daddy most.

Your daughter needs to spend time with him... Playing or walking some type of engagement, he is not going to cuddle without some type of connection... Even if she sits on the floor and pets him, it may develop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor is pretty much attached to the whole family but I see what you mean. The special thing we do is that Castor sleeps in my son's bed - at the foot of the bed. They hang out daytime too, but their evening ritual is their special thing. During school term, Castor and I often go out to meet my son as he walks home from school too which both of them like. So I suppose my advice is to try to align the schedules of George and your daughter! Perhaps give her tasks that work for her too, like feeding him or playing fetch with him on a regular basis.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I am the main care giver for Fezzik, but he prefers his daddy to me. If he is in the room I may or may not get the time of day. Fezzik tends to pace beyween us but shows a preference for him. You could have your daughter do some food training before cuddles or snuggle closer to the other end of him

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Thank you everyone, I have explained things to her and she is going to try and do a bit more with him I'm not sure he will attach to her as much as he has with me but that's how dogs are I guess but even a little bit of affection from him would be good for her. Not easy for George to be affectionate he has only recently started to like us touching him, so it will be a slow process I think.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
My wife is the main care giver but my chair is the one big enough for me and 3, yes 3, Bulldogs...so all of them end up in my lap. I really think it's more about the chair than it is me.
Have your daughter do as many feedings as possible as well as walking. The decision is ultimately up to George where he chooses to park. Remember, "it's all about the dog."...however, your daughter may disagree. :)

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Perhaps if she played a game he enjoys or buying an interactive game between the two of them. Walks seem to be a big part in the pack so definitely more walks and make them fun. Then there is a bully's downfall - food - find his sweet spot and have her only give him those treats. Good luck hopefully your daughter gets assimilated into his pack :yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.