Antihistamine

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
So I have yet another question, I gave George 5mg of antihistamine yesterday at approx 5pm (the non drowsy kind) and he fell asleep about an hour or so after it. He is normally quite active between 5 and 8pm. He ate his dinner and went to the bathroom ok but just flaked out in general after the pill.
The reason I gave it was because he has very watery eyes lately and I thought it might be an allergy that was the cause.
So my question is do Bulldogs normally react by sleeping to antihistamines or did I give him too much? It was half a human dose so I thought it would be ok.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
My guy takes benadryl. Dosage is 1mg per pound of body weight so at 53lbs he gets 2 25mg pills max. I usually only give him one for allergies.

Have you noticed other allergy symptoms like red face? He may just be tired if the kids are home for the summer. I know mine was pooped last night.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
My guy takes benadryl. Dosage is 1mg per pound of body weight so at 53lbs he gets 2 25mg pills max. I usually only give him one for allergies.

Have you noticed other allergy symptoms like red face? He may just be tired if the kids are home for the summer. I know mine was pooped last night.
No not really any other symptoms just his eyes being a lot more watery than usual and the folds are getting very stained as a result despite cleaning daily sometimes twice a day and we were very much on top of that up to this point.
Ok I reckon I gave too much he's about 60lbs so 3mg would have been enough I won't make that mistake again. Thanks for the help.
No change in circumstances at home just me and my adult daughter same as always.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, now you know what to do if you need him calm. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We give Tyson half the recommended dose and it also knocks him out.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Nothing knocks my dogs out! (so far.......:evil:)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.