Bully Over Heating Is Fast!

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
This weekend Husband and I were to drive about 2 hours from home to help family move. We live in south Texas and it is hot! I have a 4Runner and we set up the back for the pups, one EB (Canelo), and 2 pugs (Lola and Chug) which includes a barrier, 6" fan to pull the cold air in back, and a wireless thermostat in the very back with a monitor in the front so we know what the temp is at any time. I could not find a sitter so we packed up the pups around 6pm Friday and started driving. We pulled over to give the pups water after driving 40 miles and an hour from leaving home.

Well, 40 miles from home I asked Husband to turn us around and go home. Canelo was hassling so hard even with the thermostat saying it was 67F in the back, and we were freezing but Canelo was the priority. I'm glad we did turn back, Canelo was overheating and this is one of my biggest concerns with him. He's doing well now so for any new bully owner, watch your bully, the temps, your bully's body language and take care of him/her. Some signs of overheating, PURPLE TONGUE, extreme heavy panting, ears are hot, red eyes, and body is hot to the touch!!

What we think happened was Canelo got in the 4Runner when the interior was around 80F. He was in the 80F temp for 10 minutes max!! We started the 4Runner so we could cool the vehicle before we loaded him. The max temp on the thermostat That day was 135F, before we cooled the vehicle. We call him Mr. silk now. He's doing fine and did well the night we turned around and drove home. We gave him water with some Gatorade, put him in the tub and doused him in cool water. Then the finale, He has his own personal fan that he laid in front of. He propped himself in front of it completely wet!

This is the second time we've had this type of issue with Canelo. English Bulldogs are so sensitive to the temperatures so be aware of their sensitivity. Right now Canelo is taking his 20 hour nap on the couch. He's doing so well, but future trips we will take our double cab truck where Canelo has 6 vents we can point at his silk booty. We have a double cab truck with almost limo tented windows that block the heat out. This is the Canelo mobile, lol.

Point, watch your bullies for signs of overheating. Last year I paid $1000 of emergency services due to Mr. Silk overheating. This time we caught it fast. Don't loose your baby. Just because the A/C is on full blast, it may not be helping your bully. Canelo is doing great, he's eating his food and anyone else's he can eat, sleeps on my side of the couch, on my blanket, he took over my pillow so he has fully recovered. Punk, but I love him!!! Canelo, keep my favorite pillow, lol!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Very well said...thank you! And, so very thankful 'Mr Silk' is fine :)

A friend on fb wasn't so lucky and lost her 2 yr old Bulldog. An experienced
Bully owner, her girl panicked from car ride and after getting out of the car,
went into seizure & stopped breathing. The owner got the water hose on her
girl, her heart stopped, she gave CPR & got her revived but then lost her. All
this in minutes! The panic attack started the breathing problem so not a true
case of overheating but just shows how fragile these bulldogs are, anything
that seems no big deal can cause serious, even fatal, outcomes for them.

As you point out...KNOW your bulldog & watch for the signs...be PROACTIVE!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We had an incident w/our bulldog Bella, we had gone to the park and a pet store. It was only 75 degrees outside, and she overheated… she survived thankfully but it scared us to death!!! You are SO right, it can happen in an instant so it's best to be safe rather than sorry...

I've almost gotten to the point where I don't drive them anywhere in the summer months… it's just been TOO dang hot these past few summers.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Excellent post! Smart move by loving Mom may very well have saved their precious bully.
Great to hear all is well.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
You are so right. A friend of mine just lost their bully, she was only 2. They had let her outside on a hot day and came back out to find her dead. They thought there was enough shade to keep her cool, you cannot trust that! It's really sad and scary.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I know how hot it can get to in Texas (i.e. El Paso--hot and arid; Central Texas--hot and humid). Smart move you made.

The weather here is hot and humid as well. When the dew points are over 55 degrees and/or outside temps are greater than 75 degrees...it is outside to potty then back in.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So happy to hear Mr. Canelo is okay. Its one of the scariest things I think I've experienced as well. Tyson has over-heated twice. Once really bad where we were on point to leave for ER vet, but thank God he settled down and was just fine. (After cooling with wet rags, ice chips, fans, and Popsicle's) The second time since it had already happened once, I knew the signs and stopped our walk immediately. Luckily we have wonderful neighbors on our street, and they let him come into their garage where I was able to cool him down and get him water. He was fine since I caught it so quick the second time. Both times it was probably in the low 70s, nothing extreme. So you are correct - it can happen and it can happen so quick. Even if you think they are possibly over-heating just stop, go back, pick up them, do whatever you can to get them to cool safely. Great post!

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Last year when we had our first episode it was bad and I got frustrated with family because they said I was over reacting. Canelo pooed in my 4Runner, not because he had to go but he lost control of his bowels. That is a bad bad sign. He wouldn't drink, tongue purple, very hot to the touch. I had Husband help me load him in the truck, back seat, turned A/C on full blast and drove him to the ER. I LEFT husband behind because he wasn't moving fast enough and ran red lights, get out of my way. When I got to the ER I ran in and yelled for a gurney, they came out, loaded him on a gurney and once in the ER, they declared him a level 1 trauma. Husband arrived shortly after I got there with Canelo and it was a dose of truth and reality to how sensitive and serious this was. Canelo was put on IV fluids, placed in an oxygen kennel and stayed over night. That was a long, hard night. Next morning I was there to pick him up. You wouldn't know anything had happened, he came prancing to the waiting room.

When we have visitors at home they laugh because Canelo has his own fan. It stays on 24/7 for him and he uses it. But now my family recognize the seriousness of it and don't question me now. And like others have shared, the temps do not have to be hot. Thankfully Canelo is a laid back EB. He isn't bothered being alone, loves car rides, when we visit family he wants to snuggle with the kids, he just goes with the flow, lol.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Last year when we had our first episode it was bad and I got frustrated with family because they said I was over reacting. Canelo pooed in my 4Runner, not because he had to go but he lost control of his bowels. That is a bad bad sign. He wouldn't drink, tongue purple, very hot to the touch. I had Husband help me load him in the truck, back seat, turned A/C on full blast and drove him to the ER. I LEFT husband behind because he wasn't moving fast enough and ran red lights, get out of my way. When I got to the ER I ran in and yelled for a gurney, they came out, loaded him on a gurney and once in the ER, they declared him a level 1 trauma. Husband arrived shortly after I got there with Canelo and it was a dose of truth and reality to how sensitive and serious this was. Canelo was put on IV fluids, placed in an oxygen kennel and stayed over night. That was a long, hard night. Next morning I was there to pick him up. You wouldn't know anything had happened, he came prancing to the waiting room.

When we have visitors at home they laugh because Canelo has his own fan. It stays on 24/7 for him and he uses it. But now my family recognize the seriousness of it and don't question me now. And like others have shared, the temps do not have to be hot. Thankfully Canelo is a laid back EB. He isn't bothered being alone, loves car rides, when we visit family he wants to snuggle with the kids, he just goes with the flow, lol.

Tyson has his own personal fan too it's always pointed at him :)

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Wonderful Post. So thankful that your Canelo is doing Great. It can happen in an instant. My Elmo loves to lay in the sun, it is 95degrees here, we have to make him come inside. I do watch My Elmo like a hawk, I do not know what I would do without My Big Boy.

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I ordered Canelo a cooling matt this week from Amazon and it arrived. Now I'm trying to get him interested in it and to use it. I got him a large and it's a perfect size for him.

cade107de89d61a784586e573514e72b.jpg
1f8379dd2b4f8baf9b8ce0e16a92fc71.jpg

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I bought one of these pads for Porkchop. He is scared to death of it. I've even tried putting treats on it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I ordered Canelo a cooling matt this week from Amazon and it arrived. Now I'm trying to get him interested in it and to use it. I got him a large and it's a perfect size for him.

cade107de89d61a784586e573514e72b.jpg
1f8379dd2b4f8baf9b8ce0e16a92fc71.jpg

OMG too funny I just picked one up exactly the same for Nyala. I found it at Winners. I think in the US its Marshall. I got it for 25 $ and it really stays cool!

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
OMG too funny I just picked one up exactly the same for Nyala. I found it at Winners. I think in the US its Marshall. I got it for 25 $ and it really stays cool!

I love Winners! I worked a contract in Red Deer, Alberta and Toronto and discovered them. My suitcase was always loaded coming home!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online