Is it possible to get a second male EB?

Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Hello,

We currently have 1 male English bulldog(neutered), Diesel. Is he just over a year old. He is pretty well behaved, and we have spent a lot of time training him. He gets along with other dogs, male and female, in the family. We are thinking about getting a second one, and would really prefer to get another male. I've read that it's very difficult to have two male EB. Does anyone have any experience with this? We would also get the second fixed as well. Any information would be great. Thank you!

Austin, Shay, and Diesel

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm going to tag some members w/experience… I'm sure that in some cases they do just fine, good luck!!!

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Honestly I had more issues with my 2 females then I did my boys however my other 3 dogs are not EBs. I have a male neutered pitbull and a male Catahoula mix. Then a female spayed pitbull and my EB was the last to join. The boys had no issues accepting her or any other dog for that matter (I fostered a boy puppy too). But once my EB came of age my girls had some issues. I think if your dog is calm and likes other dogs it should be ok if properly introduced. Maybe you can sign up to foster a puppy to see how it works out first?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We had 2 males for several years, Smedley and Dozer. They were best friends from day one. and nearly every night they'd play "King of the Couch". It was hilarious to watch...and sometimes a little strange. Anyway, they became inseparable friends and we never had an issue. If you pull the trigger I hope you are as fortunate.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15134]Diesel10[/MENTION] I wouldn't think you would have any trouble. Your boy is young and sociable and he would probably have fun with a pup. People always say that females don't get along. I have always had four or 5 females together. (an occasional male in the mix-neutered) Go for it!! [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] had 2 males,neither of whom were neutered.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I had two intact males and they did fight occasionally. But with proper training they were fine. The other one has passed away now, but I have just gotten another male and a female, so it was never that bad that I wouln't do it again. Especially if you're planning on getting a pup and neutering him it most likely is not even an issue.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Chances are always higher of issues with two of the same gender regardless of breed, BUT... it all depends on you and being the pack leader/alpha.... as others stated, if getting a puppy it may not ever be an issue as long as you are training with them. if getting an adult, be sure to introduce on neutral ground and take them for lots of walks to help them pack up.
I currently have two males... Bulldog (18 mths) and a French bulldog (5 yrs).... they do very well together, at times Cheli (French) lets Lambeau (bulldog) know he is the boss and puts him in line.... other than that, no real issues.

Good luck

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
A lot is going to be dertermined by how alpha the new male you get is, and how alpha you are in your home.

I know many who have 2 females (the worse combo), 2 males, and 1 of each. It is always the easiest to get one of each, because they usually bond faster, but if you are prepared for a possible challenge, 2 males is doable. My advice to everyone is, a lot of it depends on YOU and your willingness to properly train them and not let them do whatever they want. So many animals have to be rehomed because one doesn't get along with another, that is a chance you would have to take. I have had to rehome myself for this reason so I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I miss my girl every day!!!! So think it over very carefully and see if having two males is worth the effort it will take.

Good luck! Make sure you post pictures and we will support you either way!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
my guys get along great together...of course sometimes they get on each others nerves but mostly minor stuff.. 2014-09-03 20.40.39.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good advice above. as others have said a lot has to do with you. Show both of them the same attention, and train together. Most will get along fine as others have said. I would never leave them alone together, and that goes for all of them. You just never know what might set one off and then they fight. Some will not get along with others no matter what, but usually if they are brought up together, they will do fine. They will have fights every once in awhile, so be prepared. Females are the worse, I know because I have 6 in the house. Yours will be young, so they should do well. Just once they get older, you will need to learn the warning signs and stop a fight before it starts.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.